Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Why would Partisan on the defensive side make more sense? Since it got higher range, you're less likely to get hit anyway—same with WL. Sword is much more in-your-face, so it's only natural you'd need to be a bit tougher when using one.

I was only commenting on its gear and how offensive it was in comparison to partisan gear. If anything sword gear was made for dealing damage while partisan gear increased the range of its PAs as a keep away weapon.
    Interested in playing PSP2i without starting over? Click here to get started or look here for people converting saves.

Quote Originally Posted by blace View Post
    I was only commenting on its gear and how offensive it was in comparison to partisan gear. If anything sword gear was made for dealing damage while partisan gear increased the range of its PAs as a keep away weapon.
    I remember reading somewhere that sword gear decreases the damage you take when blocking as well, and swords have the fastest block animation. But since most people just-guard the bonus when guarding is moot (assuming it's even true), and the block animation isn't tied to the gear...

Otherwise I agree, Partisan does feel a bit more defensive. I think the intent of the longer ranges is to hit more enemies at once though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardios View Post
    Why would Partisan on the defensive side make more sense? Since it got higher range, you're less likely to get hit anyway—same with WL. Sword is much more in-your-face, so it's only natural you'd need to be a bit tougher when using one.
    Because it's about specializing, not balancing.

By this logic we would expect to see flash guards on the fury tree, because people using fury are taking extra damage that they need protection from.

Really, the whole HU tree is a mess :/

edit: Also, there's the fact that the CBT tree did have partisan down on the defensive tree - even lower than sword

Spoiler!

Just happened to spot that a ways back, and looked into it because I was worried this was a candidate for a future tree. It's so terrible. Fortunately, it's an old tree, so it's unlikely to be returning.
    Last edited by gigawuts; Mar 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM.

For me, Partisan being on the left side makes sense because "let's augment partisans by increasing their range even further (gear) -> def is useless due to the range, so instead boost their power further" and "let's reward sword-user for staying in battle by making them more powerful over time (heat-type gear) -> since they're more likely to get hit and have power through their gear, boost their defense instead -> well, since they already have some defense, let's allow them to specialize in it even further with Flash Guard".

I dunno. I'm probably giving SEGA too much credit. :\ I personally would've designed the tree much different, too...

for me the current gear locations make sense but to further promote specialization i'd do some thing like xxxx gear advance further down on the respective sides.

anyways i have not made a decision yet reguarding the OT.

sig by gama
    Justina human female Te/Hu maybe braver soon
    Shayla newman female Br/Ra
    Alisha.EXE cast female Bo/Hu
    ship 02 team:none

Quote Originally Posted by Alisha View Post
    my 1a and 1b options pretty much ended up sucking(partisan HU/hybrid/TE) and im not sure where to go from here. i have a strong aversion to pure nuking.(people in my team joke that ohza is my lover) plus ive got an s-atk mag. WL isnt an option(because i have a cast alt that specializes in those) and i just dont like swords. ive developed a fondness for knuckles but i'm worried those too will become medicore at higher levels. so i guess its either a fist using FI? or i could try twin daggaers? perhaps a hybrid RA maining gunslash?(that could possibly let me melee but still let me get my support kick) DS would be an absolute last resort that would proballoy result in me switching my main to my cast hu or my newman RA.
    I guess I'm a little confused as to what you're looking for. You want a melee char that can support? I mean in that case, I would go with Fi/Te using Gunslash if you don't care for any of the fighter weapons. Just killed a ragne spamming slashrave and floated near the back of its head 90% of the time: fun. You won't be using techs as often as a force, but zondeel + addition bullet/thrillsplode should be pretty efficient.

Fi/Ra + gunslash works too I guess. But I don't know enough about that combo.
    Last edited by holmwood; Mar 8, 2013 at 10:52 PM.

the support from TE isnt worth it. to the point that when i play TE I spam zan or megid spells then rape melee weakpoints with wand gear. i enjoy that playstyle but dont think its sustainable long term with my current mag(105 satk/45 dex)

sig by gama
    Justina human female Te/Hu maybe braver soon
    Shayla newman female Br/Ra
    Alisha.EXE cast female Bo/Hu
    ship 02 team:none

Quote Originally Posted by Alisha View Post
    the support from TE isnt worth it. to the point that when i play TE I spam zan or megid spells then rape melee weakpoints with wand gear. i enjoy that playstyle but dont think its sustainable long term with my current mag(105 satk/45 dex)
    True. I used to do Te/Fo with that same kind of gameplay, but find that bosses are getting too fast for me to reach. Trashed it after a miserable zeshreyda run.

A Fi/Ra may be what you're looking for considering that weakbullet is always useful, and Fi already has the best damage passives. Chase advance also has that synergy with the traps/ailment bullets from Ranger side to deal with tankier mobs (which I suspect there to be a LOT more of in the future). With Fi/Ra, you should also get the best of the two kinds of PAs you'll be spamming, close range and long range. So you're hardly sacrificing damage.

Edit:
    You also get access to the fastest movement in game. :O
    Rodeo drive from Cannon, and Knuckle dash when recovering PP. Part of the perks I guess.

But all in all, I think you might be looking for a solid gameplay vid to backup any suggestions. I'll try and find one for a Fi/Ra with gunslash.

Edit:

http://nicoviewer.net/sm19731449
    Fi/Ra with gunslash. Using Lambda Jareid using mostly serpeant air.... probably could do alot more damage if the user used the newer PAs, and a 10* gunslash.
    Last edited by holmwood; Mar 8, 2013 at 11:49 PM.