Page 11 of 158 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161111 ... LastLast

So, I decided to play for the first time since the last update, and I found my game to be MUCH blurrier using SGSSAA than it was in the past. I tried multiple different things in NI and nothing really fixed it. It is rather upsetting

I can try to fix it up and possibly get better quality than I had before. It takes a lot of time though.

Edit: LOL I forgot that I did a driver update and that will remove any values you customize since they aren't official. It looks the same as before now that I fixed that problem. It does blur a bit, but unless Sega decides to incorporate real anti-aliasing into their engine, or does some engine overhaul which allows me to create a value for FSAA, SGSSAA is the best option even though it blurs a little in this game.
    Last edited by Preposterous Rhino; Mar 30, 2013 at 03:51 AM.

I should note that downsampling from any resolution past 2560x1440 is going to make your screenshots enormous in size and possibly crash your game if you try to take screenshots (or the screenshots will just fail to get written in the first place).

If you like to record or take screenshots, SGSSAA is definitely the way to go - blurring or not!

Big update. I DID get it to work better than before (sometimes when you are constantly comparing IQ, you just start seeing awful images and then a good one looks just as good as other good ones). I took a break from it, and compared the good values I found last night. I found one that DOES look better. It fixes the slight contrast issue that causes that blurred look. I will update the title to reflect the original post has been edited once I finish.

Cool, i'll try it out now+^_^+

just let you know, my 540m (as weak as it is) OC to 765 CPU, 1025 mem, and 1530 shader is able to use 2x SGSSAA and maintain above 30 FPS almost everywhere in the game at 1080p, so if your looking to use this over FXAA or the in game AA but don't mind going below 60 FPS then know that you can use weaker/older GPUs and get fantastic results thanks Rhino for the awesome tut+^_^+

Alright, after getting sick of the hair seams but also getting sick of just not having any AO, I started testing a bunch of other AO bits once again. Of the ones that work, here are my findings:

Mirror's Edge: Medium darkness, most physically accurate, does not ignore fog or particle effects, has hair seams
    Unreal Tournament III: High darkness, very high AO radius, ignores fog and particle effects (and even clips through load screens), does not have hair seams
    Mass Effect: High darkness, high AO radius, not sure about fog/particle effects (didn't get that far), buggy as hell and shows hair seams
    Gears of War: Extreme darkness, high AO radius, ignores fog and particle effects (loading screen included), shows hair seams
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine: Same as UTIII, except darker
    Warmonger: Medium-high darkness, very high AO radius, does not ignore fog and particle effects, shows hair seams
    Hawken: Low darkness, medium AO radius, ignores fog and particle effects (including clipping through load screens), does not show hair seams, jitters between overall darkness values

So from what I can gather, whatever causes the AO to take into account fog and particle effects is the same as what causes the hair seams. Either you take the hair seams in exchange for AO properly applying before fog or you take the AO showing up through fog in exchange for not seeing any hair seams. There's also no happy "middle ground" between barely-there AO and stupid-dark AO for the ones that don't show hair seams.

Pick your poison.

Update: The ones that don't show hair seams also don't show up in screenshots.
    Last edited by Zyrusticae; Mar 31, 2013 at 01:48 AM.

OK, did some more test with different type of setting.

Default no AA
    Spoiler!

Default AA
    Spoiler!

Lavandy Default Extreme Setting 0x004110C
    Spoiler!

Old Setting 0x0040D0F0
    Spoiler!

New Setting 0x004010F0
    Spoiler!

Lavandy Setting Tweak #1 0x004018C0
    Spoiler!

Lavandy's setting tweak #2 0x004110C
    Spoiler!

Lavandy seems to use 0x004018C0 and 0x004110C1 for his AA.
    It seems to give me a bit more FPS, you guys can try it too?
    Last edited by Sizustar; Mar 31, 2013 at 08:36 AM.
    Sizustar Fo/Te 75/75 - Ship-2

Screenshot dump
    url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/118177547@N08/[/url]
    Drawing and junk Twitter https://twitter.com/Sizustar - please don't send blank request-

To tweak that lavendy setting, I found that using F instead of C is significantly sharper. I also don't believe the 8 does anything lol. I can test it out when I get on my computer later. I saw a good bit of blur using those settings in the past, which prompted me to create some myself. It felt like he didn't really know what he was doing (but technically I don't either )

Really having trouble noticing the difference between the last 2

Quote Originally Posted by Preposterous Rhino View Post
    To tweak that lavendy setting, I found that using F instead of C is significantly sharper. I also don't believe the 8 does anything lol. I can test it out when I get on my computer later. I saw a good bit of blur using those settings in the past, which prompted me to create some myself. It felt like he didn't really know what he was doing (but technically I don't either )
    Well, his setting...is really odd.
    But he doesn't use AA. and since his GPU is so powerful(GTX 690 and GTX Titan) I don't think his setting is good for general usage, which is why I'm asking for more people to try it out too.
    So 0x004018F0 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrii View Post
    Really having trouble noticing the difference between the last 2
    Their supposedly different Bit, but I can't really see the difference in them.
    Last edited by Sizustar; Mar 31, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
    Sizustar Fo/Te 75/75 - Ship-2

Screenshot dump
    url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/118177547@N08/[/url]
    Drawing and junk Twitter https://twitter.com/Sizustar - please don't send blank request-

Quote Originally Posted by Sizustar View Post
    Well, his setting...is really odd.
    But he doesn't use AA. and since his GPU is so powerful(GTX 690 and GTX Titan) I don't think his setting is good for general usage, which is why I'm asking for more people to try it out too.
    So 0x004018F0 ?

Their supposedly different Bit, but I can't really see the difference in them.
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/16115
    Still can't see a real difference. I can't find a website that allows you to compare more than 2 screenshots tho