Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

I will never understand people who believe a 70% *chance* is analogical with a definitive probability.

You could have an 80% chance of succeeding and fail 20 times.

Is it likely you'd fail twenty times? No. It CAN happen. Random is always random. Your chances don't get better each time you try.

It's more on the lines of:

"WHAT!? I FAILED 2 80%'S IN A ROW?
    I COULD'VE JUST ADDED POWER IV AND TECH IV AND SUCCEEDED!"
    Or at least that's what immediately pops in my mind when that happens.

Are you a ship 8 player? Want some friends to get started? Start with me! (CURRENTLY Busy with university )

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    I will never understand people who believe a 70% *chance* is analogical with a definitive probability.

You could have an 80% chance of succeeding and fail 20 times.

Is it likely you'd fail twenty times? No. It CAN happen. Random is always random. Your chances don't get better each time you try.
    I see this statement made a lot, and it's partially valid, but it misses the point. The complaint is not that success did not occur. The complaint is that the system is designed such that failure is even possible after that many attempts. Meaning, the complaint is not about randomness, but about the system relying 100% on randomness, and not accounting for large streaks. They could limit a streak's length with a simple and common check on the number of consecutive successes or failures and forcing an appropriate result.

See: Matter board. Even the unluckiest now get their MB items, guaranteed, after a set number of failures. That system needs to exist for grinding (spend X grinders or protects, guaranteed success), and affixing is a bit more complex but something could be designed with relative ease.

You can try to argue the matter board is more important than grinding, or something like that, but at the end of the day a frustrating failure streak is frustrating no matter what it is the player has been trying to do. If you don't want success streaks affected, then just don't restrict success streaks. The final result will only be marginally impacted to generate a tiny amount of excess.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    They could limit a streak's length with a simple and common check on the number of consecutive successes or failures and forcing an appropriate result.
    This is something I think they should do, if not that then getting rid of the random aspect entirely.

its because a computer can never be truely random and is thus prone to streaks.

sig by gama
    Justina human female Te/Hu maybe braver soon
    Shayla newman female Br/Ra
    Alisha.EXE cast female Bo/Hu
    ship 02 team:none

No, even truly random systems will have streaks. It's the nature of random.

That said, well programmed RNG's will have fewer and shorter streaks than badly programmed RNG's. Badly programmed RNG's can be corrected with checks and forced results, as I said. The average will go unchanged if you correct successes AND failures, but nobody really wants their highs cut short so I'd sooner recommend correcting only failure streaks. The average will only be moderately impacted, but the individual player experiences will improve considerably for never having absurd and unpreventable streaks of failures (or, well, they COULD be prevented...by Sega).

If it's not 100% it's a coin toss really.

On a related note, I also like the fact that for grinding, in comparison between person A who gets +1 and person B who gets -1, person B ends up paying triple or more to catch up to person A.

Yep. Triple. And let's not forget -2s and -3s.

Yeah I'm not really complaining about "man, another 99% chance failed? that's not how probability works!"

But simply the fact that it REQUIRES back to back multiple 30-60%s at a time and in a row just to get ONE chance to put what you REALLY want on ONE piece of gear which ends up being a minor boost where failure can bring you back to the very beginning is just too much.

I've been mostly content with just Soul+Stat2 because it's like 100 times more likely to land than Soul+Stat3+Other, and you get at least half of the bonus. Anything more than 4 slots is just insanity. Like more than the usual Japanese kind of insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    I failed 8 protected 9-10 grinds on my steam knuckles in the last 24 hours, and this is after another 7-8 two weeks ago - one of them with a 20% booster

Fuck the RNG

Fuck it hard and replace it with something remotely fucking consistent
    I had this same issue trying to grind my fucking partizan.

Some 600 grinders and an untold number of +10% grind boosts/+1 grind protects later, I finally got it.

Goddamn, man. They should just put in something that lets you advance after spending a certain amount of grinders/meseta or getting a certain number of fails, because this shit is whack. Pseudo-random would be far more enjoyable than this bullshit.

Also, grind success chance should NEVER, EVER go below 50%! What the fuck, man?!

Edit: You know what? Fuck the grind and affix system. Fuck it in the ass.

Replace it with something where, instead of a chance to fail, you have a chance to get a critical success instead! Instead of +10% chance to NOT FAIL, you get a +10% chance to get an extra grind level or an affix improves or something! That would feel FUCKTONS better than the bullshit negative reinforcement gambling system we have now. Players who want to gamble on the RNG to get ridiculously powerful affixes can still do so, just the rest of us trying to get a baseline of equipment would no longer feel obligated to say "FUCK YOU, SEGA" so many goddamn days of the week.

You could even multiply the amount of grinders and meseta required per grind. I don't give a shit! FAILURE IS BULLSHIT!
    Last edited by Zyrusticae; Apr 11, 2013 at 11:50 PM.