Default Wii (or Memory Card) compatibility question

Looking forward to PSO2, I recently got the urge to play PSO (EpI&II for GC) again. But much to my dismay, I'm having a hell of a time doing so.

I'm not sure if it's the result of the Wii or the memory card (official 1019), but I kept getting error messages that the save data was corrupted. Restarting a few times seemed to fix this, but last night it outright refused to save our game data and now the data seems to be permanently corrupted.

I've never had problems like this with other GC games, and have to think this is at least partly connected to PSO.

Has anyone encountered similar issues? And more importantly, any advice on how to fix this? It's saddening to think I may never get to play offline PSO again, even with PSO2 coming soon (I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dart View Post
    Looking forward to PSO2, I recently got the urge to play PSO (EpI&II for GC) again. But much to my dismay, I'm having a hell of a time doing so.

I'm not sure if it's the result of the Wii or the memory card (official 1019), but I kept getting error messages that the save data was corrupted. Restarting a few times seemed to fix this, but last night it outright refused to save our game data and now the data seems to be permanently corrupted.

I've never had problems like this with other GC games, and have to think this is at least partly connected to PSO.

Has anyone encountered similar issues? And more importantly, any advice on how to fix this? It's saddening to think I may never get to play offline PSO again, even with PSO2 coming soon (I hope).

Yes I had this problem not that long ago, im sorry to say that there isn't much you can do about this. Its the memory card that has corrupt itself, from what someone on hear told me 1019+ block memory cards tend to corrupt more often then they should. You could always try deleting your Guild Card and see if that helps, but if your entire memory card went to hell like mine did then there is nothing you can really do at this point. If you still plan on playing PSO I suggest a 59 block memory card, it seems to be working very well for me. ( but only use it for PSO )

One last note, if you have extra money and are willing to spend it, I suggest getting PSO + it will save the game less and have a less chance of corruption.

Check out this thread for info on PSO save corruptions, 1019 Memory cards and Wii issues:

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/show...=204336&page=2

Best hide your food when I'm around! Mystic_Nessly's Avatar

If you play the game a lot, I'd suggest getting a memory card that lets you transfer/backup saves to a computer via USB. Corruption is always a possibility even on the plus version. I've had HKEM's USB memory card since (purchased from that very site listed below) ~2004 and none of the saves have corrupted. And should it corrupt, older working saves stored on my PC can easily be transferred back onto the card.

If you (or some reader) decides to get this card, be sure to select the "backup entire memory card" option to make a backup of your PSO files (when recovering the card, you need to select "restore memory card."). PSO is picky and will say the save is corrupt if you try to backup the 3 PSO game files individually instead of backing up the entire card.

http://www.hkems.com/m_main.htm
    You can get the card here. The one I'm referring to is GC USB Memory adapter." It looks cheap, I know, but it's the real deal. :}

I believe some versions of the the Datel Codejunkies / Gamesharks / Codebreakers come with memory cards that can allow connecting/backing up saves to your computer, but I'm not sure if they're compatible with PSO, because PSO is really picky about modifications made to the game saves.

TIDBIT: You can even use the saves backed up by the memory card to be played in the emulator Dolphin. Fun stuff!

Heh, I bought one of those as well back in 2003 and it still works great today

Make sure you get the latest version of the software (v2.1) as it fixes many of the issues that the older v1.61 had. With the older software you definitely had to backup the entire card, but with the newer software you can actually make individual backups of the games files separately and they work just fine. I'd probably still backup the entire card from time to time just to be safe though. Anyway, you can get the newer version of the software here: #0213 GC™ USB memory adaptor Download Section