Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 LastLast

So I imagine that you based the song on what you saw in the art, what made you go about the song in the way you did? Were you inspired by western films or old action films?

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

The art came later. I started work on the game and the composition at around the same time. The art didn't come until, maybe midway through development.

I roughly knew what I wanted the game to look like and feel like from the start, so I based the energy of the song on that. The further along in the song I was, the further into development I was. So the later parts, I understood more what gameplay was like than in early parts.

As for inspiration, I'd say it's mostly from RPGs in general. I didn't actually listen to anything before composing. I just worked with what I knew and came up with stuff I thought sounded right.

Very nicely done! It definitely sounded like RPG battle music, the kind I'd hear in an RPG Maker game for example. How long did it take you to compose? Also, I wish I had taken a class where I got to make a game! That would have been super cool.

P.S. You ought to update your sig, by the way.

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

Several months, actually. The only chance I had to work on it was in-between projects, when I felt my game was at a decent spot or I couldn't otherwise progress. And I could only do that if there wasn't a project due. The things I had to do in that class were massive...

If you want to make a game, there's no reason not to start now! Download Unity and find some tutorials. It might seem overwhelming at first, but just take it one step at a time. Like, if you want to make a platformer, start with finding a unity platformer tutorial. That'll get you a stage to play around in and a character to control. Then you can just modify that to your liking. That's at least a start.

Shinu Real has a lot of experience with it, so he may be able to give some advice if you get stuck. If you need any programming advice, I should be available.

What kind of class is it? Is it actually a game design class? I've made a couple games using RPG Maker, but those were just for fun, not for a class. I never composed my own songs before, though. I write and I draw, but I don't do music. I was never the musical one in the family.

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

It was a mobile programming course. We could do anything we wanted for the end project, so I made a mobile game demo. Good idea too, since the fun I had gave me the motivation to make it as good as I could.
    As for the compositions, my family is a musical one. I was taught how to use a music composition program as a child, and eventually I decided I wanted to try something for myself.

How far did you get with those RPG maker games? I never see many go very far.

My sister was always the musical one. I was the artist/writer. Is the mobile programming course career-related or just for your own entertainment?

I finished two RPG Maker games. I gave up on the third when my ambition outgrew my free time.

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

Career related. I needed one elective for my computer science degree, and this course was recommended. I'm glad I took it.

You're going to have to share those RPG Maker games.

I didn't share the game because I wasn't sure how it worked, but I think this will do. This will have to be opened on your phone.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/w11vdb...lickBattle.apk

You'll be given several warnings saying that files like this may cause damage. You have my word that I'm not a competent enough programmer to make a virus. You may also have to turn off some protections to download it, so remember to turn them back on when you're done.

Since I don't have a tutorial, I should give gameplay instructions. Tap on the "Block" icons to block against attacks. Otherwise, tap on the monster to deal damage. I don't have healthbars, so just keep tapping until he dies. Each kill will increase his difficulty, but you will be able to chose a stat upgrade after every kill too.

I wanted to make the attacks harder to block the more you played too, and it shouldn't take very long at all. But I don't think many people will get far enough for it to make much of a difference.
    Last edited by Zorafim; Dec 10, 2017 at 03:38 PM.

I'd like to play it, but sadly my phone isn't in a condition to play games right now, sorry.

I'll send you a PM about the RPG Maker games. This is your thread so I'd like to keep it focused on your stuff.

Sig art by Aussei ^_^