Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast

Default The E3 2013 thread. New consoles await

This year, expect a lot of next gen games to be shown plus a couple of new games for this gen

For XB:One, Forza 5, Destiny, COD, will be shown for sure

For PS4: Killzone Shadowfall, Knack, Grand Turismo 6, and possibly the Last Guardian

Ubisoft will show "milked creed 4", Rayman Legends (now multiplatform), Watch Dogs and maybe Beyond Good and Evil 2.

EA will show the usual sports games, Battlefield, and possibly Mirror's Edge 2.

For Wii U next week certain Best Buys locations and the NY Nintendo World store will showcase the games shown from E3 and will be playable. I'll be at Nintendo World next Tuesday to take pictures. This makes up for Nintendo having no E3 conference.

I also expect Batman Arkham Origins, Lords of Shadow 2, and MGS V be to shown.

What's everyone hoping to see this year?
    Last edited by Sexy_Raine; Jun 5, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
    My wanted games of 2013:
    Ducktales(PS3), Ys Celceta(Vita), Beyond: Two Souls(PS3), Legend of Heroes:Sen no Kiseki (PS3, JP version)

Oh man if Mirror's Edge 2 is announced I am going to be ecstatic. I loved the style and mechanics in that game to absolute bits, and only wished it was longer than the few levels it had.

Also looking forward to more details about Destiny. It sounds like it could be pretty good, depending on what they do with it.

I'm definitely looking forward to this E3 more than the last few, that's for sure.

Eh, not much. My favorite things that come out of E3 are almost always the surprises: the new IPs developed in secret, the unexpected revivals of beloved franchises, the unforeseen brilliance in an otherwise run-of-the-mill sequel, etc.

In terms of the things we can expect:

- I cannot wait for whatever the new 3D Mario game will be. Assuming it's developed by Nintendo's Tokyo team, it should be crazy and exciting and new. Those guys and gals haven't had a flop yet. The only reason I wouldn't want them working on another Mario games is because they already have three under their belt and I'd love to see what they could do with another classic (or original) IP.

- I'm very curious about what Retro is working on for the Wii U. Odds are it's just another Metroid Prime, which I would be okay with. I'd be happier to see something new, but I think they could do a lot of fun things with the Wii U controller that would make another Metroid Prime entry feel less forced than it otherwise would.

- I'm sure the Halo 5 trailer will be pretty, though I don't expect anything particularly crazy or out-of-the-box in terms of new gameplay.

- I would love to see a Mirror's Edge sequel, assuming they keep its unique gampelay intact without trying to find ways to draw in FPS fans. The series will never be mainstream and that should be okay!

- Hey, who wants to bet that we'll finally hear that Final Fantasy Versus XIII has officially been cancelled or moved to next generation systems? (Who am I kidding, they're not going to say anything about it.)

- I hope it turns out that Kojima was just being a jerk and that David Hayter is voicing Snake in Metal Gear Solid V. I'd be sad otherwise (though it sounds like this might be the case now).

- Some gameplay footage of Killer is Dead would be nice. I think there are a few trailers out there already, but I haven't seen any real in-depth coverage just yet.

- As much as I love the Zelda games, I don't expect anything particularly interesting to come out of this E3. They'll show some A Link to the Past 2, which... looks fine, I guess. They'll show some Wind Waker HD, which... y'know, it's Wind Waker, but without the awesome graphical filters. I don't expect to hear much more than lip service in regards to the next console entry.

- Maybe some Smash Bros gameplay footage? Probably not, though. Maybe just a teaser video?

- Haters are gonna hate, but I'd love to see Dragon Age III. I got a kick out of both DA games and am definitely interested to see what they're gonna do with the sequel.

Yeah, I dunno. That's all I can think of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    The series will never be mainstream and that should be okay!
    I wish this mentality itself would go mainstream, and gamers would branch out into different types of smaller games with interesting mechanics or atmospheres instead of hugging what's safe.

The idea of non-mainstream as a playstyle going mainstream is pretty nice, and would make E3 and other game conventions much more interesting since the big companies would be eager to show off their little games instead of just their flagship games. Flagship games are good, for sure (arguably by definition, even), but it's the little titles that make gaming such an enjoyable long term interest.

I got addicted to Fire Emblem Awakening so I'm curious about that Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    I wish this mentality itself would go mainstream, and gamers would branch out into different types of smaller games with interesting mechanics or atmospheres instead of hugging what's safe.

The idea of non-mainstream as a playstyle going mainstream is pretty nice, and would make E3 and other game conventions much more interesting since the big companies would be eager to show off their little games instead of just their flagship games. Flagship games are good, for sure (arguably by definition, even), but it's the little titles that make gaming such an enjoyable long term interest.
    I actually think that this idea is becoming more prevalent due to the increasing number of successful indie studios out there. The problem is that a company as big as EA simply isn't interested in dropping millions of dollars into a game that isn't going to give them a large return on investment. Sure, they might make a million bucks, but when they know they're going to spend $60 million on it, they're not going to see the point in doing it.

Along those lines, I wish they had a division focused on smaller scale (and subsequently, smaller budget) games. I think Mirror's Edge could do great if EA had a dedicated niche label, with games that aren't expected to sell three or four million copies.

I don't really follow gaming much anymore outside of a few titles here and there. But, even when I did, I never paid much attention to E3 or ever even watched any live streams or highlights from it.

I don't even know what's coming out in the next year, or who is even going to be at E3, and what they'll be peddling.

Squeenix is suppose to announce something. Here's an article:

http://gematsu.com/2013/06/square-en...tasy-pre-e3-qa

For all we know it could be a damn mobile game. I refuse to hype anything they're going to announce because they've been disappointing for a long time.

It's too late for FF versus on PS3, it would have to be a PS4 game to get back the hype it once had.

All I know is that Final Fantasy XIV: RR consoles version will be shown. I'd be happy if Agito was announced for Vita in NA, but it won't happen.
    Last edited by Sexy_Raine; Jun 5, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
    My wanted games of 2013:
    Ducktales(PS3), Ys Celceta(Vita), Beyond: Two Souls(PS3), Legend of Heroes:Sen no Kiseki (PS3, JP version)

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    I actually think that this idea is becoming more prevalent due to the increasing number of successful indie studios out there. The problem is that a company as big as EA simply isn't interested in dropping millions of dollars into a game that isn't going to give them a large return on investment. Sure, they might make a million bucks, but when they know they're going to spend $60 million on it, they're not going to see the point in doing it.

Along those lines, I wish they had a division focused on smaller scale (and subsequently, smaller budget) games. I think Mirror's Edge could do great if EA had a dedicated niche label, with games that aren't expected to sell three or four million copies.
    Well, I've been torn between the two possibilities of mainstream gaming beginning to encompass indies, which is what I'd like, and then successful indies just becoming mainstream themselves. Indies as they exist now did not exist even ten years ago, due to differences in social media, how much more prevalent gaming is, steam picking up indies and more recently setting up steam greenlight, the humble indie bundle, etc.

I don't think mojang, etc. necessarily changed to be mainstream, but they DID get a ton more money and put themselves out there more simply because they were able to. They had the time, resources, and the momentum behind them carried them forward to where they are now from where they were, oh, maybe six months to a year before the first minecon. Their ability to continue support for Minecraft and hire an entire separate team of people working on their own server software (bukkit) would not have been possible if they hadn't already been successful, things like that.

What I'd really like to see is a kind of indie spotlight at these gaming cons and expos, and hell maybe they have that already and I just don't know since I haven't been keeping up.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    What I'd really like to see is a kind of indie spotlight at these gaming cons and expos, and hell maybe they have that already and I just don't know since I haven't been keeping up.
    There's the IndieCade Showcase for E3. It sounds like just another display booth at an expo though. There's a similar booth at TGS too, I believe.