Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

All I can say on this issue is this... Yes, I use backups... Mainly because I have had to deal with the BSoD 2 times so far, and both times have lost a rare I had just found in that game (Photon claw {2 seperate photon claws, mind you, neither traded or backed up})... It is *VERY* upsetting when you lose one of your weapons that a short time before you were nearly extatic for finding... Now that this code is in place, I can't use that backup, and it is rather annoying....

The issue of Sega promoting/not promoting the issue of using character backups means nothing to me. The fact that the BSoD does exist in the game, and that it can kill your items that you worked hard to find, or even kill you character that some of us have spent in excess of 10+ hours to build up, shows that there might have been a slight loophole in Sega's beta testing of this game. I have seen many video games in my lifetime that have had issues apon release. The one problem here is the fact that this is a *CONSOLE* game, and making updates for this is not as easy as, say, making a patch for a PC game. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not trying to bash Sega, or Sonic Team, for this issue, I am simply stating the fact that the bug *IS* there, and that, I feel, that if there is a feasable way for us (the end users) to prepare for the onset of this bug, then it should be used.

The argument on rares not being rare anymore really doesn't hold any validity if you don't trade with others... Just because some <BEEP> is out there duping items doesn't mean that there are more of them to find in the game... If you don't want to deal with dupers, don't trade with em... Only trade within your circle of friends/questing buddies/clan mates/whatever.

I am in agreement with Ambrai on this issue, that the code should be turned back. This will end up upsetting a lot of users if it is not (If I lose one more Photon claw because of BSoD, I am debateing putting the game down)

--
    Asdrubael De'Vek

Asdrubael - HUmar - 60 - Pinkal

[Edited for spellchecking - I'm a tech as well.. spelling is not a strong point]

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Asdrubael on 2001-03-06 21:19 ]</font>

I could give a flying fuck about backing up my character. I lost 2 characters and started over, if my current lvl 100 w/ 160 hrs went in the toilet, I would start over anyway.

However...

I rather see any and all gameshark/cdx/whatever cheaters perm banned.

Come on SEGA!If youre going to change the servers then make sure you try to cover all loop-holes.I applaud you for trying to rid the game of dupers, but it obviously didnt work if people are still able to do this.Think like the fuckheads that dupe items to stop them.As for thieves.I personally think they add a bit of spice to a very skeletal story(NO i am not a thief and YES i have had items stolen from me in the past).Since most of the game is a cakewalk(stupid enemy a.i.,dupers ruining the rarity of items,powerful one shot kills all weapons)the thief(slimy little bastard he is)adds a bit of suspense.I too would like to see all cheaters banned permanently.What you do with your game offline is fine(cheat all you want if thats your thing)but keep the cheats out of the online game.Oh well,life goes on.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: mac55429 on 2001-03-06 21:25 ]</font>

Monkeys are really Chimps in disguise.

Even if some dupers get around it. At least sega got them. Im sure a few will stop because they don't want it to happen again.

Well Phantasy heres a newsflash, I called Sega when my character got deleted and they told me to back up my character and how. Now their gonna go change this...I believe it should be put back! Everyone sign the petition!

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Ambrai on 2001-03-07 08:19 ]</font>

segagameplay, Game Shark has not released codes for PSO but there are codes for the Xploder that work on the Game Shark.

PSO Assassin

Actually , this doesn?t prevent you from doing backup of your saves. This just means that if you use a older save, it will became the character save and the newer one will never be accepted online again ... this happened to me and I?m using the backup now as main save.
    Only use the backup if you really lost your main save. The server will remeber if you get regression on your level/playtime info.

Jumpin Jeepers Creepers

some simple answers that some ppl seem to not be able to uderstand:

1) Correct! this method does not stop dupers altogether. Theres a very easy method to bypass it, but it takes time, and is annoying. How? take your backup, play OFFLINE and save. your time is now more current than the servers last record. BUT you've also just made the MASTER COPY of your character fuct. So, to dupe, you will have to jump offline/save/online EACH TIME YOU COME IN. Is it worth it? To prolly 70-80% of dupers it isn't, which is good.
    2) YES idgets, dupin IS ruining the game. PSO only has a few levels, and the online quests are rather thrown together rather poorly. a few hours after beating it once and it gets rather stale. The redeaming factor is the ultra-secret ultra-rare weapons/items. Be the envy of your buds with these spiffy toys! -Wait tho - if everyone just dupes them and sells/trades/gives them away, I guess they stop being rare eh? Its a simple train of logic; how some of you dont get it, is beyond me.
    3) Insted of going thru all this effort with a mind-boggling brain dead idea of a petition, that will NEVER WORK, why not devote your time elsewhere. Or if you really have a hard-on to write to sega/sonic team, how bout something useful? Like a "get-off-ur-ass-and-add-to-the-game" letter? We need downloadable missions, need level tweaks, new levels if possible, new options, player battles, just all around new stuff.
    4) The gameshark codes do/dont exist. No GAMESHARK hasnt made ANY CODES for pso. However, other comapnies have. But theyre all mundain stupid ones, like sending ur player to lv 100 right away or lots of money. Yippie. If your pathetic enuff to use em, screw you.

In essence what Im trying to say, is anyone bitching about the new server is obviously a duper, and you should go fuk up some other game. Real ppl that have backups for bsod will work around the server trick in dire cases only, such as a lost character.

END OF STORY

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: horr0rstory on 2001-03-06 21:58 ]</font>

Im glad Sega is doing this... If u people dont want to lose your items due to BSOD or whatever else just take 1 weapon with u. The one u have equipped, so that you dont lose anything other then your health items etc. If u want to show off and take 20 Special Weapons with you then go ahead. PSO servers are getting better tho i havent seen them crash in awhile. I myself have never lost any of my special weapons cause i carry only one weapon with me.

I honestly feel unaffected by sega's move for the most part. I never back up my character, am lv. 73+ and have only lost a few things due to disconnection. So what? It's a game.

I'm also a strong believer in the saying, if there's a will there's a way. Simply put, cheaters will be cheaters. There really is no way to stop it, and I believe sega's efforts are pretty much futile. My only hope is that they realize this and move on to making the some more player friendly changes. I.E. update disc, or even a handful of more quests. Maybe throw in some weapons..whatever. Decorate the place again, that was a nice touch.

Either way, I've been content playing amongst cheaters. It's easy, I don't play with them. Peace.