Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat problem

Default Cat problem

We've had her for more than a year, first time she's done this.

Maybe we should be stricter with her, we have done everything for her - cat trees, made the apartment so cat friendly etc. She's allowed on every surface (except kitchen worktop and table, but she goes on there anyway when she knows we're not in the same room). So the rooms are more than accessible.

She has a really nice charming side of her and then this other, twisted evil mentality - clawing treats from your hand, random bites and attacks, and now urinating on the couch.

When she's bold and she knows it, she will run to take cover under the sofa. It's definitely her go to hiding spot. Maybe she sees it as hers, and that's why she abused it as a toilet. We haven't got her neutered yet, there could be possibly some territorial deal going on.

I want to give some insightful advice.

But.

Man I got nothin'.

You don't need to neuter it—just show your cat its place. Get a box and show it to it. Once it's sleeping in the box, piss on it to assert dominance. That'll show it.

If the odor is the main problem, try Natronpulver (what is the English word for that) or Nodor. The latter is supposedly pretty good for anything odor related, but a bit on the more expensive side. Never tried out Natronpulver myself so I dunno how effective it is.
    Last edited by Gardios; Jun 25, 2013 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardios View Post
    You don't need to neuter it—just show your cat its place. Get a box and show it to it. Once it has sleeping in the box, piss on it to assert dominance. That'll show it.

If the odor is the main problem, try Natronpulver (what is the English word for that) or Nodor. The latter is supposedly pretty good for anything odor related, but a bit on the more expensive side. Never tried out Natronpulver myself so I dunno how effective it is.
    alles klar, danke für die info

I'll go to Fressnapf tomorrow and buy something there for it. No odour to us, but to the cat, well of course she smells it. That's the problem, she will come back there to pee again, if her smell is associated with it.

Her thought: "Hmm..couch..litterbox upgrade!"

Community Manager Cyron Tanryoku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    (no..._)
    good thing I resisted the urge to respond prior to edit
    Last edited by Cyron Tanryoku; Jun 25, 2013 at 09:32 PM.

I know how you feel. My cat pissed on my bed once. Kind of my fault though, since the night before I tricked her into drinking milk with Youkon Jack in it and got her totally shitfaced. It was almost worth it to see that ragged "kitty hangover" look she had the next morning. She looked right at me with a hateful glare when she did it too.

Definitely a revenge piss.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Jun 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

You can deny it all you like, Tinguru, but you know it to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyron Tanryoku View Post
    good thing I resisted the urge to respond prior to edit
    I take it that was supposed to scare me or something. it didn't

Anyway, on-topic, I've never owned a cat or dog or anything else that could physically urinate on furniture (I'm a bird person; I think they're more fun, and they definitely have easier clean-up), so I don't really know any tips or tricks to help out with that. I'd just say spray it with water every time it does that, but that probably doesn't work in 99/100 cases.

I assume the cat is familiar with where and what her litterbox is. Be sure and keep that thing clean - the problem is magnified if you have multiple cats, but if it's only one, it's an issue of establishing boundaries; punish bad behavior and reward good behavior.

Get a spray bottle, fill it with lukewarm water. If she does something naughty, give her a spritz. With most cats, they'll very quickly learn to associate doing bad things = getting sprayed, and most cats absolutely hate this, though it's completely harmless to them (which is why it's effective as a punishment). If you have one of those very rare cats that doesn't mine or even loves water... You'll have to explore other options.

Encourage good behavior with attention. Try not to overdo it with treats as a reward, or else they'll start to game you for tasty snacks (it sounds hilarious, but it can happen), though occasional use is just fine.

If she's having issues with scratching and biting people, this is generally a sign that she's not letting out enough energy, so get some string (or a laser, or one of those fluffy things on a rod) and play with her regularly - you can even do this as a rewarding action, too, but be careful about sending mixes messages here. Of course, she may also be like my girlfriend's cat and be outright bipolar, in which case you may need to just take the hint and leave her alone (but good luck if this happens when she's, for example, already curled up on your lap...).

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Has anything changed in your house, environment or event the cats litterbox since you got her?

Cats can be very sensitive to things changing around them. I have two cats, and for the longest my male cat would poo in the bathtub (we got them from an animal rescue station and he did that since day one, so I was already wondering if his previous owners taught him that). We had a open litterbox a similar one to the one they had in the rescue station (I thought if they are familiar with one like that they will faster get used to their new place). Anyway, after trying different things like using different cat litters we finally switched the litterbox out to a closed one and with that, the pooing in the tub stopped.

Cats, when they pee/poo in places where you can see it, they are trying to send a message. When marking territories they don't do so at spots that are too close to them, but places surrounding the areas they usually sleep and live at (like corners/walls). So, that is why I am guessing that your cat is trying to tell you it is displeased with something.
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic41657_37.gif