Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Majority of software is usualy up to 5 year behind of the newest hardware advancement, has never been different the past 10 years as far as i can remember.

However, hardware advancement and hardware performance is not necessarely a match. At the start of DX10 and DX11 for example most hardware was to weak in order to create a sufficient performance using the maximum tech level possible. So, indeed many hardware is able to support advanced tech but insufficient at delivering the proper muscles. However, nowadays the newest hardware is indeed able to run DX11 related technology at a very satisfying level, so its pretty much the hardware being ahead of the software. So we are now at a situation when the software simply cant catch up with hardware anymore. Many people say, it doesnt matter so we dont need newest hardware anymore (we will soon be able to run most games on a Intel IGP/AMD APU) and art count is more important than tech count anyway. It might be true but why not to have everything at once, for the ultimate experience? Guess nowadays consumers are just to much used to transportable devices and cheapest solutions possible. So they are willing to trade off a lot of potential in order to fit those other needs, but kinda it dont have to be. We could have the bread and the butter at once but of course thats the theory and not necessarely practical. Certainly when PS4 and XboxOne been released, we may see some advancement on the tech side, so it gonna be a interesting time for PC users too.

PSO2 is completly different direction. PSO2 is tuned in order to be fit on as many machines as possible and nowadays it can easely be run on a IGP or APU, so "tech count" is very minor and a good example for the direction many games are heading nowadays. Its heading to a completly different direction, the spot where mobile and "social" users are located at, away from "core players". Its tuned wholely on a art tech level in order to make fans of that kind of art enjoy as much of it as possible and able to be run on as many machines as possible (basically as good as every machine not older than 5 years can run it without problems). Its neither good nor bad, but the hardware advancement will soon be so far ahead of the software that we shouldnt even mention the word "tech" anymore. It will be able to be run on a IGP/APU from a tablet in the next 5 years i guess, so i wouldnt expect to much tech but simply enjoy its "art" and the social aspect of the game.

About that funny Win 7/8 battle: Most of the performance is still gotten from the processors and SSD people are using, not from any OS. DX11 will be the "state of art" for countless years, not anything higher than that. The time when we finally get the first DX12 games, at that time there is already another OS released by MS, so i wouldnt worry, the fight is just all about preference, nothing else. Regarding DX 11.1, there isnt any changes worth to mention and in the graphical aspect there wont be any viewable differences. There is almost no game even using it and if so, nothing we would even notice. Apart from that DX is a proprietary MS interface but its not a tech itself (some people mistaken it as a tech), its simply a interface. As an interface (API) its able to implement certain techs but it could be done using another interface too, DX isnt the only solution, but a good one. Im almost certain that we will be stuck on DX11 related tech for countless years and no other viewable improvements at all.
    Last edited by Xenobia; Jun 29, 2013 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenobia View Post
    Majority of software is usualy up to 5 year behind of the newest hardware advancement, has never been different the past 10 years as far as i can remember.

However, hardware advancement and hardware performance is not necessarely a match. At the start of DX10 and DX11 for example most hardware was to weak in order to create a sufficient performance using the maximum tech level possible. So, indeed many hardware is able to support advanced tech but insufficient at delivering the proper muscles. However, nowadays the newest hardware is indeed able to run DX11 related technology at a very satisfying level, so its pretty much the hardware being ahead of the software. So we are now at a situation when the software simply cant catch up with hardware anymore. Many people say, it doesnt matter so we dont need newest hardware anymore (we will soon be able to run most games on a Intel IGP/AMD APU) and art count is more important than tech count anyway. It might be true but why not to have everything at once, for the ultimate experience? Guess nowadays consumers are just to much used to transportable devices and cheapest solutions possible. So they are willing to trade off a lot of potential in order to fit those other needs, but kinda it dont have to be. We could have the bread and the butter at once but of course thats the theory and not necessarely practical. Certainly when PS4 and XboxOne been released, we may see some advancement on the tech side, so it gonna be a interesting time for PC users too.

PSO2 is completly different direction. PSO2 is tuned in order to be fit on as many machines as possible and nowadays it can easely be run on a IGP or APU, so "tech count" is very minor and a good example for the direction many games are heading nowadays. Its heading to a completly different direction, the spot where mobile and "social" users are located at, away from "core players". Its tuned wholely on a art tech level in order to make fans of that kind of art enjoy as much of it as possible and able to be run on as many machines as possible (basically as good as every machine not older than 5 years can run it without problems). Its neither good nor bad, but the hardware advancement will soon be so far ahead of the software that we shouldnt even mention the word "tech" anymore. It will be able to be run on a IGP/APU from a tablet in the next 5 years i guess, so i wouldnt expect to much tech but simply enjoy its "art" and the social aspect of the game.

About that funny Win 7/8 battle: Most of the performance is still gotten from the processors and SSD people are using, not from any OS. DX11 will be the "state of art" for countless years, not anything higher than that. The time when we finally get the first DX12 games, at that time there is already another OS released by MS, so i wouldnt worry, the fight is just all about preference, nothing else. Regarding DX 11.1, there isnt any changes worth to mention and in the graphical aspect there wont be any viewable differences. There is almost no game even using it and if so, nothing we would even notice. Apart from that DX is a proprietary MS interface but its not a tech itself (some people mistaken it as a tech), its simply a interface. As an interface (API) its able to implement certain techs but it could be done using another interface too, DX isnt the only solution, but a good one. Im almost certain that we will be stuck on DX11 related tech for countless years and no other viewable improvements at all.

So you're telling me that a drastic performance jump from games that I couldn't run aren't because of the OS? I went from windows 7 before jumping to 8 you kno

Hey have you tried using a touchscreen with windows 8 and pso2. I thinink of buying the razer edge pro and it has touchscreen. Would be awesome if touchscreen worked for menu's etc...

Quote Originally Posted by darsman View Post
    Hey have you tried using a touchscreen with windows 8 and pso2. I thinink of buying the razer edge pro and it has touchscreen. Would be awesome if touchscreen worked for menu's etc...
    I was just looking at this the other day. I'll be upgrading pretty soon so does this mean anything new that has windows 8 is going to be an issue playing PSO2? ..or should I just go something else with windows 7?
    Jack - Ship 2 - Killer Panda

Quote Originally Posted by darsman View Post
    I honestly don't think the touchscreen would be an issue. The touch capability really just transforms your touching into mouse clicking for selections.
    PSO2
    Team Celestial

It's a problem with GameGuard not Windows 8.1. GameGuard has had the same exact problem with every Windows upgrade 7, 8, and now 8.1. They should have made GameGuard future proof but they didn't so it BSODs any new OS that's above what is on most users computers. Every Windows 8 user will be upgraded to 8.1 by the end of the year if not in the next two months so this is something GameGuard needs to fix right now maybe they should just make it so that the same thing won't happen with Windows 9. Anyways I personally would rather they just ditched stupid GameGuard all together it's pretty worthless to begin with and becomes more of a hassle than it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by ts0cha0tik View Post
    So you're telling me that a drastic performance jump from games that I couldn't run aren't because of the OS? I went from windows 7 before jumping to 8 you kno
    Whats the games you was unable to run (previously)?

The WIN 8 improvements is mainly memory management, but that one does little effect on games. The biggest effect by far is GFLOP and IOPS performance of the hardware.
    Last edited by Xenobia; Jul 13, 2013 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AIDA View Post
    You guys are over exaggerating a lot - The ONLY time you're even using metro is in the start menu - Which, by the way, is much faster and better using metro.

Aside from that, Windows 8 is actually better for gaming (Look up benchmarks if you don't believe), starts up way faster, and is way more stable than Windows 7.
    This is all true. My games run better on Windows 8 than when I had Windows 7, and I almost never even use the Metro interface. I just click "desktop" right when it starts up (which is fast). Also you can download the old start bar to replace metro and make it look like Windows 7 anyways.
    So long Xbox servers! Hello JP PSU, Infinity, and PSO2!

JP PSU: Samus Aran lvl 180/20 GM

Regarding that Metro, i dont get the point why to avoid a possible option for the old desktop mode (out of the box without any addware). Apparently MS is trying to "force" users for getting used to Metro so they are more likely to adapt to MS "all in one shape", and may love the XBoxOne too and all the other transportable stuff with same UI. I dunno but surely what i can say is that MS itself is allowing to less freedom to the individual user, just in order to push them all into the same direction. Behaving or not behaving, for MS the term of "behaving" is not a important matter, thats certain. So a third party is having to implement changes to a OS just because MS itself is to stubborn to implement those options themself. Additionally, trying to make the WIN 8 OS look supreme by adding new options which could be added to WIN 7 too, but its not done so on purpose, so its not giving any symphathy point to that company, thats certain. What they dont understand is, that the user is the king and the king is making the decisions, not a "emperor" trying to stand above all users (i know stuff like that works well in China, prehaps in US too, but it may fail to take over the entire world).

Dunno... but it doesnt matter for the decision between WIN 7 and WIN 8 (and whatever broken number to add), finally both OS are working well for gaming. Win 8 OS is sometimes a few percent faster at gaming, but the true performance can only be gotten by good hardware. There is no OS able to make a bad hardware peforming like a rocket... just doesnt exist even if many users wish to believe. A OS cant change that matter so we should stop the endless talk considering "peformance improvement"; sounds more like a "trying to find a good reason" to me. Reality is, it just doesnt matter because hardware is the ultimate key. A few more to add; I chose a OS by "options", "utility", "user-friendly shape", "compatibility" and "level of possible custom", not just by raw performance and tech. When we take other factors into account, Win 8 is fine but its not ahead of Win 7, both got strong and weak spots. Although, on weaker systems WIN 8 is some performance advantage, but on stronger systems, the difference is close to none (because strong systems can easely overpower a minor weakness).

What it got to do with PSO2? Well not that much apart from the fact that both OS will handle that game very well and that the Gameguard is a trash piece of scrapware able to cause lot of issues, especially on advanced hardware and software, so once again users should be warned. The Gameguard does not even protect against any serious hacker, luckily there is almost none of them and most of them got something better to do. So i dont get the Gameguard matter but cant change it, as long as Sega got in mind its useful.
    Last edited by Xenobia; Jul 13, 2013 at 08:12 PM.

Victim of Dudu & Monica zegun~kun's Avatar

sorry if this is considered an OOT
    i wanna ask to all Win8 users this: "how's the latency in Win8 now? any updates?"

i used Win8 in the past on my notebook
    and i got this horrible latency numbers

in contrast to Win7
    Spoiler!

well i uninstalled it like 8 months ago due to AutoCAD 2013 not working in Win8
    havent installed Win8 again even though CAD2014 has been released for quite some time lol

so i would like to see if MS had fixed this problem or not..
    Last edited by zegun~kun; Jul 13, 2013 at 11:35 PM.