Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

That's in the small scheme of things.

Let's try an analogy with diamonds.

Know about DeBeers? It's the diamond cartel that has an illegal monopoly. Basically, Debeers has a whole lot of diamonds in stock. But, in order to keep them valuable, it control the flow of diamonds to the public. (This is what dupers would do if they were smart) So, it gives the illusion that a diamond is actually valuable and rare, when it isn't.

Now, let's say that all the board members of DeBeers certainly died and they were replaced by incompetent people. They decide, that since they can sell diamonds at a high price, to flood the market. They figure, the more they can sell, the more money they'll make. Now, can you predict what's going to happen?

In the small scheme of things, the diamond market will crash, and they'll be as valuable as cubic zirconia. If they're not rare, they're not valuable.

In the large scheme of things, nations who's economy depends heavily on the diamond market will go through a recession. Small businesses and large ones that depend on diamonds will also fall.

The market crashes, nations suffer, and individuals are out of jobs, all thanks to the actions of a few idiots.

I wonder, how many people would have picked up what would've happened in the large scheme of things had I not mentioned it?

You may ask the Guru three questions.

You know what? I dont give a rats a** if youre legit or a duper. Why should I? Why should anyone? All I care about is the following;

1. Play with duped weps if you want but don't experience hog. Im sick of guys at level 10, jumping into normal games with Dreamcast mags and BKB's killing everything before i get a chance to hit one enemy with a combo. Not to sya that only dupers experience hog, but its alot easier when youre using hacked weps.

2. Don't flame my weps. If you want to play with me, be as courteous to me as Im being to you. I dont want to hear "OMG is that a Spread Needle? Duper! U sukk!". I dont experience hog and I do my part for the team. Dont like my spread? Fine. Dont let the teleporter hit you on the way to the lobby.

3. Play as though you were part of a team. S/D, J/Z, Resta, Moons/Reverser/ paraplyza or freeze, exp sharing, shooting traps off my head and all the rest that my statement implies.

And for the record, I used to have a codebreaker on Dreamcast towards the end of Version 2 and I found it kind of killed the game for me. So this time, Ive decided to only use weps I find and trade with a few select group of friends, to see how I enjoy that. But you will never catch me preaching either way. Play the way you want, as long as you dont bother me its all good.

On 2003-04-08 06:20, TeamPhalanx wrote

If I say x person isn't legit, I'm prepared to back that up. In other words, I can cite actions that clearly shows that they cheat. For example, remember Jason? He's the guy that had "Legit Player" in his forum title. Then he goes on talking about how he had a Lavis Cannon and most other dupes.
    Oh damn forgot it was IMPOSSIBLE to find a Lavis, so if a person has an item that has been duped before it automatically makes their item a dupe?!

I think your jumping to conclusion way to fast...

I know someone who found a Lavis.

On 2003-04-08 22:09, Guile wrote:
    On 2003-04-08 06:20, TeamPhalanx wrote

If I say x person isn't legit, I'm prepared to back that up. In other words, I can cite actions that clearly shows that they cheat. For example, remember Jason? He's the guy that had "Legit Player" in his forum title. Then he goes on talking about how he had a Lavis Cannon and most other dupes.
    Oh damn forgot it was IMPOSSIBLE to find a Lavis, so if a person has an item that has been duped before it automatically makes their item a dupe?!

I think your jumping to conclusion way to fast...
    I agree Guile. That is like saying that every person who has a Photon Drop, had theirs duped.

Dangly Parts

let's delve further into this diamond analogy ...

DeBeers isn't a monopoly, unless 91% can be considered a monopoly ... it is certainly not a monopoly by definition ... and diamonds aren't only found in South Africa, but also places you'd never expect, like Arkansas and Virginia

back to my point, just like the analogy, the items that are commonly duped can be compared to poorly cut or uncut diamonds ... sure, they're a diamond, but any diamond expert knows that the value of a diamond lies in the cut, clarity, luster, and other aspects of the jewel ... now compare these aspects to PSO weapon percentages ... you can't tell me that there is a mass frequency of duped items with high percentages in every category ... i couldn't even begin to list the most common dupes online and their mediocre percentages ... when was the last time you saw everyone toting a Spread Needle with 90% hit on the GC version?

so my point: duping does NOT affect trading economy and does NOT affect replay value for many devoted PSO players, because having a duped item with crappy percentages doesn't beat having the same item with outstanding percentages, most of which are still waiting to be found

argue with that!

(I love debating with Phalanx .... Phalanx is good)

I'm still lonely! Talk to me, please!
    California, in the land of milk and cigarettes

I don't like duping, but I'm not gonna complain about it. If it's not easy for ST to fix, and someone's getting enjoyment out of it. Well, basically, I'm glad they're having fun!

Video Games are about having fun. If people want to whine about people cheating in the game, and how it takes all the fun out of it, then they can do that. Or that can shut up and deal with it as I am prepared to do.
    Just so long as PK/NOL/etc don't show their ugly faces again, I'm perfectly happy.

I don't support duping, I don't plan on duping/using dupes. But I'm all for having fun! So if you dupe and that makes you happy, I'm glad you're happy. If you're legit, and that makes you happy, I
    m glad you're happy. If you derive pleasure from going out of your way to try and make other players feel lower than dirt because of their choices in playing, you're just being a bully, and nobody likes a bully!

I think there's FAR too much resentment between dupers and legits. This is a god damn game. Play it and have fun with it! Whining and insulting are always gonna result in tears. No matter which side you're defending, you're gonna upset someone...

*goes into a short little rip off of Dr. Martin Luther King jr's "I have a Dream" speech*

So lets all just have fun 'n play this god damn game... I don't like having to see all these people fighting each other over something so petty as a videogame...

Unfortunately I have been accused of duping twice. One was just a paranoid little RAcast who thought I had been duping power mats while I was playing (I don't even know if that's possible).. The other was some guy who thought my Secure Feet was a dupe because ST forgot the stars on that item... He completely ruined my trade room. The guy wouldn't leave and when someone else came in he'd say "Wait, before you trade let me see your items." Because he was telling me Secure Feet was "ok". I don't care if it is "ok" I trade whatever I want to trade, no questions asked. As for being accused of duping, I don't care if people dupe, but when I get accused of it I take offense. People shouldn't be jumping to such conclusions, it's extremely stupid and annoying.
    This guy was first telling me that the Secure Feet was duped, ok. THEN he was saying it's not that good, so he took the ever-loving time out of his PSO playing time to check others items to make sure I was doing a fair trade.
    First of all, why would anyone dupe an item if it wasn't rare? Second of all, I suck at trading, I have no clue what should be adequate for trading. I ended up trading it to some other guy who told me "since it was pipable the value of it becomes less", Is that true? Because if it is, then I should have kept my Secure Feet, even if I have no RAngers... He gave me 11 photon drops for it. I am guessing I got ripped off but whatever, I'll get another if the Mil Lily lets me :/

I hate legits myself. They bitch about dupers waay too much. I think I'd rather play with a duper that uses a BKB than a whining legit.

On 2003-04-08 06:36, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:
    On 2003-04-08 06:20, TeamPhalanx wrote:
    Misunderstanding, W. I meant that the cheaters that comment on legits have no idea what legits talka bout, play like, etc. It's like a person who has spent their entire life living in California commenting on Indonesian culture. If you've never
    met someone from there, never studied the culture, and have never known any culture outside of your own, how do you know anything about them?
    ... this is a message board where PSO players talk. People are commenting on what each other say. Although some are ignorant(by some, I mean a shit load), most are really basing what they say on how each other act on this message board, and maybe in the game.

On 2003-04-08 06:20, TeamPhalanx wrote:
    Like I said earlier, and you agree with me here:
    if somebody says they are legit, I'll believe them until I see something to believe otherwise.
    For some strange reason, I do remember that idiot that had "Legit Player" in his user title. He was also "nosaJ".
    Heh, I see that you are a Tech N9ne fan yourself.

Good choice.