Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    Bonus Question : Will the translation team continue to update the english measures they currently have if an official english version was to release?
    I believe Kion said that he'd keep updating the english patch, but would use stuff from the english version of the game to take some of the slack.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    Who do you blame, SoJ or SoA? x2 Blame Combo?

Are some of you only playing the JP version just to pass the time until a localized one happens? Would this soil your enjoyment of JP PSO2? Would you continue to play? Would you do anything? Write SEGA angry letters? Go to PAX and kick the guy at the SEGA booth? Are you one of those people that will not be the least bit surprised? You saw it coming? No skin off your back?

Bonus Question : Will the translation team continue to update the english measures they currently have if an official english version was to release?

I'm curious!
    I wouldn't blame anyone, I guess it's both of them at fault really. But there's nothing I would be able to do about it.

I am currently playing PSO2 JP version, because I love PSO. And I'm planning on playing both versions still even when the NA version is released, so it wouldn't affect me on playing the JP side.

On the flipside, I will have more time to devote to playing FF14 and JP PSO2, if that "ever" does happen.

As for the translation, it just depends if SEGA hands out a CD to them, if so I would guess there's nothing they can do about that.

I wouldn't care, and neither should anyone who is really a fan of the series. Why should I worry about the bastardized watered-down version?

"Of their own accord" Enforcer MKV's Avatar
    Somewhere, being an old man again, apparently.

*Shrug* SoJ - They're the main branch, PSO2 was created by them. If it's going to be localized, they're probably the ones green-lighting it. If they tell SoA no, there's not much SoA can do at that point, the way I figure.
    Enforcer MkX [TE/RA]: Critically injured
    Violet MkV [BR/HU]: On active duty

Mechanized Combat Engineer Freshellent's Avatar

I think it's just the nature of the cash-shop related items and the amount of content being released. It's a pain in the ass for companies to get stuff on our shores because of legal stuff. The patches we get are proof that it can be done with minimal manpower, it's just a matter of other BS that can't really be spend up any faster I'd say.

I'm pretty happy with the game as it is, because I'm not burnt out on it. Everything is still new to me and I'm getting over a lot of my old hang-ups. Leveling as fast as I am now, and tons left to see is the best part.
    Veteran of the former Universe 11. PSO2 -Ship 02-

At this point I'd actually feel troubled if the NA version was released, due to selfish worries as to how it'd affect the english community here. Worries as to how many of our population would leave, worries as to how it would cut into our flow of newcomers and make our community stagnate, worries as to whether Sega would continue their lenient view of foreigners when we have our own official servers, etc. Well, I'm perfectly aware those are selfish worries though- there is still a half-decent part of me that would be glad this incredible game made it to a bigger audience.

Never once would migrating myself cross my mind, since this is home now- and it's certainly been made comfortable, both by the Superhuman Translators of Justice, and indeed by this community as a whole. Playing both would be an option though, of course, if I felt a reason to.

United Arks Defender NintenJon25's Avatar

Think you got the thread title mixed up, bud. PSO2 is definitely canceled for the US---SEGA is pulling out the same "it's just delayed" card that they did for Aliens: Colonial Marines on the Wii U. While I don't want to bring up that accursed tragedy of a game as an example, it does prove a point here.

SEGA kept saying, "it's on its ways" but they're "evaluating possibilities for an inevitable delay". Guess what happened? The game got canceled.

PSO2 wouldn't do well here in the States. Those who are PSO and JRPG or Online RPG fanatics (the entire PSO fanbase, in other words) have already or are planning to join the PSO2 JP servers from previous bad experiences with the Western release.

Other than the fact that you have everything synchronized with each other to avoid having to install fan-patches, there's no reason I would ever want to play the localized version of ANY future Phantasy Star Online game unless I absolutely had to.

I doubt SEGA really cares much nowadays that so many (probably more than half) of their PSO2 community isn't playing from Japan. While it was a concern for them at launch, I think the random bans have been over with for almost over a year now as far as I can tell from numerous friends...

The fact of the matter here is that there will always be only one true canon version of the game---and that's always the JP version. Why? Because it's where the game originates from. It's where you get ALL of the game's updates, and it's always the most active part of the entire PSO community.

There are always so many different things to do in JP servers for PSO in the past and present that you would never even see the light of day on for a Western release. Just look at PSOBB for a perfect example.

As long as SEGA is still making money off of Western players, I don't think they mind having us on their servers really. Their ToS may say otherwise, but people are quick to forget PSOBB...

I think the logical point to take here is to at least invest in your character a little bit on the JP server. If any bans do happen in the future, they may not ban you if they notice you are making them sufficient funding to keep the servers running. At least, that's my completely optimistic point of view. People are free to express how they may see things turn out contrary to that.

Actually, when the NA version is released. We will have a lot more newcomers, there's quite a few who refuse to play this game, because they want to wait until a readable version is out.

Also: NintenJon25, you don't have any proof. It's not nice to confuse others.

Quote Originally Posted by NintenJon25 View Post
    I doubt SEGA really cares much nowadays that so many (probably more than half) of their PSO2 community isn't playing from Japan.
    I doubt that majority of players are not from Japan. NA/EU players barely fells up 1 block primarily (looking you afkers on b20) and bout another 1-4 on a regular base when the sun raises for us on Ship 2. Compare that 4-5 full blocks to a nearly full server logins during JP evening time. Yea I highly doubt that most players are not from Japan. During my normal hours of playing, all ships are green, during those times I wake up early most of them are full.

I would roughly say no more than 15% of the population are from outside of Japan.

United Arks Defender NintenJon25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Totori View Post
    Actually, when the NA version is released. We will have a lot more newcomers, there's quite a few who refuse to play this game, because they want to wait until a readable version is out.

Also: NintenJon25, you don't have any proof. It's not nice to confuse others.
    I think valid enough proof is that SEGA completely dropped all info about PSO2 off their main page of their website. Then, the entire PSO2 website (even though the US version still exists) is practically archived from view.

I'm not stating that as a fact---I think it's pretty weird that it would even come across as that.

However, it's obvious that SEGA of America won't bring the game stateside. There's just too much at stake.

On top of all the translations they'd have to do for in-game text files, there's also voice dubs that they'd have to do unless they want characters to be completely mute (which would ruin a lot of intense story moments). Then, the game is constantly receiving updates weekly on the JP servers, whereas EN servers are always known for having a shoddy update schedule.

The optimist in me would love just having a worldwide release running on a worldwide server, but things just don't usually work out to be that way due to consumer demand.

PSO is always first-and-foremost a Japanese game before it is English. It's probably the only thing holding them back at this point from releasing an official Western version of the game...the interest for RPGs like PSO in the West has heavily dwindled due to the advent of mobile (casual) gaming, an influx of shooters, and MMOs like WoW that have run the MMORPG genre quite tepid for WoW veterans.