Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 303738394041 LastLast

What about those of us who don't drink?

I wish I could give you some solid advice on how to increase your word count. Personally, I'm always way ahead (mentally) compared to what I'm actually writing, because I think up ideas a lot faster than I can write them. For example, I already have a rough outline for the next couple years' worth of material. I know more or less how the entire story's going to go. I haven't figured out every single plot point yet, but the "big" events are all planned out. My goal, then, becomes tying those events together. How do I get from point A to B to C to D? Figuring out those details is the most challenging part of the process, and I take it one manageable chunk at a time. One step leads to the next, and so on, so that hopefully I end up where I wanted to go.

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

It felt much easier when that was true for me. But, character development is hard. Especially when you're going out of your way to try to make something different.

I think I just have to sit down each day and try a little. That's how it is with piano. Just practice a little each day and you see improvements. It works for everything in my life, so it must work here.
    Just a little bit each day...

This is a bit of a tangent, but I kinda wish we could do more reader participation and cross-content material. For example, in terms of reader participation, I might say: "Suggest an idea for a one-part side story set in my fanfic." Then I'd pick one of the suggestions and write that idea. Or we three (you, me, and Yoshi) could exchange ideas. Like, I give you an idea, you give Yoshi an idea, Yoshi gives me an idea, and we all have to write those short stories. They wouldn't have to be canon, and they wouldn't have to be long, but it might be fun. Another idea is to write each others' stories. Like, I write a story about Levia, you write a story about Yoshi/Yadira, Yoshi writes a story about Aki/Akasha. Again, it wouldn't be canon, just something for fun. I'd love to do something like that at some point, because I feel like we know each others' stories well enough to try it. You wouldn't even have to imitate someone else's style. You could do it in your own style, it would just be about their characters.

Another idea I had was writing a chapter where the ending is undetermined, and I give the audience a chance to vote. "How do you want the story to end? A, B, or C?" Depending on what people say, that's how I would write the ending. Sadly it might not work out very well because I think I'd only get input from two people (you and Yoshi), and it's hard to break a tie when you've only got two votes. xD

Anyway, those are just a few ideas floating around in my head. I/We may not do any of them, but I still think it'd be fun to try at some point. If only to get a fresh perspective and keep the mental juices flowing.

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

Reminds me of the kind of thing qoxolg does, but I never partook in because I felt people want more visual than written material. It sounds interesting though. It wouldn't mind trying it, though as for an audience, it would help if this place was as big as it used to be during the PSU and PSO days.

Yeah, it would pretty much be a "by us, for us" type of deal since we don't get many other commenters these days. Something different just for fun. Not sure if or when it will work out, but I wanted to mention it since it's been on my mind for a while.

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

That sounds amazing. I'd love to write something about Yoshi and you. Though I don't remember enough about Aki and I have difficulty keeping Yoshi's character's straight, that still sounds like a blast.
    It also means I need to hurry up and establish Levia.

I think if we did one of those voting thingies that this forum comes attached with, we'd be able to get more readers involved. Maybe we should ask Sayara about that.

And those art things, those were for all types of media. I would compose for it, some people would write stories for it. I won a few of them with songs.

You always talk about establishing Levia, but I think she's plenty established by now--at least, enough to understand where she's at right now. She may not be in her "final form" yet, but aren't characters always changing and developing?

Ehh... somehow I don't think we'll be able to attract many new readers at this point. And to be honest, I don't blame them. Our stories are so long by now that it would be a pretty daunting task to start at the beginning knowing you've got several years worth of material to catch up on. Personally I'd rather just do something among us, since we've been reading and commenting on each others' stories for a while now.

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

My issue is that there's the her right now in the story, and the her right now in my cannon. All of this takes place - I guess - long before my original concept of her. So she's very different at the moment. I just want to get her to my original concept of her.

It's not about attracting more readers, but of getting the participation of those that are still here. I'm sure they just don't want to talk. But pressing a button is easy.

Who's still around, that's not currently participating, that would vote in a poll? Is there anyone, or are they phantom people who may or may not exist?

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

That second thing

if you look at our view counts, they get pretty high. There has to be a few people poking their heads in here now and then.