Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: talis vs wand

Wands are in every way inferior to rods as a casting weapon. It's weaker and slower.

A wand is strictly inferior to a talis for casting, even if you never even throw a card. It still casts slower, despite having the same T-Atk. And of course, you can still use the ranged casting if you want.

What they tried to do was make it the shittiest tech weapon in the game, but "make up for it" by increasing your melee damage. But Force's melee damage is so bad that it could be five times more powerful and it still wouldn't be any good.

So for Te/Fo, never use a wand if you can help it. Sure, if you find a lucky rare that's better than your talis or you have no Umblla rod, you can get by with a wand and even try out Wand Gear if you're ever near an enemy for some reason while also out of PP. But never go for one intentionally.

And don't even think about getting Wand Reactor. It's not enough on its own to warrant the melee style; your techs will still be more powerful but now you're sacrificing PP regen.

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

I use wands when I want to be close to a group. I use talises when I'm far away from the group.

Obviously wand > talis, because you can't smack enemies in the face with talis.

Senior Arks Member..? SquashDemon's Avatar
    I came from Ragol, and all the not-sense that makes with it.

I prefer Talis because Mahu.

No really, have you seen those things? they're freakin' awesome lookin'
    Episode III for Life.

Quote Originally Posted by UnLucky View Post
    Wands are in every way inferior to rods as a casting weapon. It's weaker and slower.

A wand is strictly inferior to a talis for casting, even if you never even throw a card. It still casts slower, despite having the same T-Atk. And of course, you can still use the ranged casting if you want.

What they tried to do was make it the shittiest tech weapon in the game, but "make up for it" by increasing your melee damage. But Force's melee damage is so bad that it could be five times more powerful and it still wouldn't be any good.

So for Te/Fo, never use a wand if you can help it. Sure, if you find a lucky rare that's better than your talis or you have no Umblla rod, you can get by with a wand and even try out Wand Gear if you're ever near an enemy for some reason while also out of PP. But never go for one intentionally.

And don't even think about getting Wand Reactor. It's not enough on its own to warrant the melee style; your techs will still be more powerful but now you're sacrificing PP regen.
    Agree on the rod part but you must remember that when recuperating PP the damage gap somewhat closes between wand and rod assuming you have gear. Otherwise is garbage I only use my PP convert/light tree when subbing as a force, and even then only where I wouldn't use namegid like city AQ, desert, or tunnels. Rod is better overall especially with PP convert to get rid of the need to whack things to recoup the PP.

I have the hammer stone wand... then a couple days after buying found a 640 TATK wand off a bird in the Beach Wars -_- The upgrade doesn't look worth it though especially since by the time I can I'd have a 60 techer and not touch techer as a main again until level cap rises. A lot of mileage comes out of the AQ stone rares so no need for the second best 10 star, especially since it's wind (yuckies) and has no abilities so my mighty hammer of might being 30 fire element is better in the long run anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardios View Post
    Obviously wand > talis, because you can't smack enemies in the face with talis.
    Problem with wand though is it takes too long to hit and gives the enemy too much time to dodge. Should make striking much quicker. Talis is awful though you can't dodge out of it and throwing the cards keeps you in place. Control is awkward too. Though you can't dodge out of a wand swing (wand is too much commitment -_- ) it is less time stuck than a talis.
    Last edited by Mike; Aug 26, 2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Merge

Quote Originally Posted by AgemFrostMage View Post
    Problem with wand though is it takes too long to hit and gives the enemy too much time to dodge. Should make striking much quicker. Talis is awful though you can't dodge out of it and throwing the cards keeps you in place. Control is awkward too. Though you can't dodge out of a wand swing (wand is too much commitment -_- ) it is less time stuck than a talis.
    what

what

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    what

what
    Okay, you swing with a wand, it takes almost an entire second to hit target, and that gives the enemy too much time to dodge. Once you get the hit in the strikes are rapid though, which is good. Talis' cards are slow, enemies dodge them easy, and you are stuck in place while throwing. Also bad for charging because you think you're starting a spell from the caster but it starts from a card you thought went away instead.

Recouping PP with a talis also gives vastly inferior damage. I know hitting the target for force or techer is to rcoup PP not actually do damage, but with wand gear you bleed some extra damage out of the enemy while replenishing PP, and the damage isn't trivial.
    Last edited by AgemFrostMage; Aug 25, 2013 at 04:54 PM.

You don't use the rod melee unless you're really close to a lot of mobs, which you shouldn't normally be.

And I mean a lot of mobs, since if it's just one then a gunslash is still faster PP regen at any distance. And Force has as much base R-Atk as Techer does S-Atk. Chew on that one. (and Newearls have more R-Atk than S-Atk, too)

Though the rod's swing seems faster and farther to me, so it's better PP regen than a wand despite the lower damage.

Also you can jump (or land) while attacking to cancel the animation. Helps for any weapon, especially the talis, though you don't get a JA circle.

Quote Originally Posted by AgemFrostMage View Post
    Though you can't dodge out of a wand swing (wand is too much commitment -_- ) it is less time stuck than a talis.
    dodging is for sissies

you stand as solid as a rock and beat your enemies until they don't dare attacking back

Besides bosses, Talis is the best FO weapon in the game. They're faster and the ability to put techs where you want is invaluable.