Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Game consoles to pc?

Ok, so everywhere I see people moving to pc from consoles and I have to ask what really makes the pc more superior to the console? computers have always had more processing power than a game console, but to me, a console should only play video games, having netflix and internet connection is nice but it shouldnt tear us away from games.

I will never game on a pc, I dont get an updated version, I just wait till it dies before I get a new one (or so outdated that it gets slower) but what I want to know is, why do people expect game consoles to be computers? Why all the harassment by both parties to the other? "pc are the best" and "consoles are the best" just because one has better graphics and is faster? I will always say that game consoles are made for games and computers arent really (and laptops to).

and what i really hate: when i say i only have a laptop i get laughed at by people who swear by computer gaming rather than console gaming. and i really wish they would shut up about not getting gta5. last i checked, gta used to be sony exclusive so they are lucky they got it at all! (gta1 and 2 were only on the ps1)

Consoles are computers, just with extremely restrictive operating systems.

Just wanted to get that out of the way.

yeah, microsoft proved that point. i actually think they were trying to merge the console and computer with all of thier stuff.

I'm not buying consoles anymore simply for the fact that they just don't interest me anymore. The exclusives just don't seem as worth it to me anymore, save for maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Nintendo offerings, but even their selections on Wii U are fairly pants. I do loves my 3DS though.

As far as arguing over console vs pc superiority? While there may be definite differences in flexibility and power, it's mostly down to people wanting to justify their purchases or thinking some dumb brand really gives a crap about them.

Cold as winter, guns of summer. Point and watch them run.
    Which PSO-W Member Are You?

i know sony and microsoft dont really care about us (ps3, xbox 1), they just want to get all they can out of us. honestly though, i stick with consoles because using a controller is easier for me. yeah i can use a controller on a computer, but since i only have a ps3, i cant play on a computer unless i download a bunch of stuff just to get it to work.

The only legitimate reasons people claim PC gaming is superior is because it's generally cheaper to buy games (try as they might, Xbox Live sales don't live up to what Steam Sales and Humble Bundles are offering) and that developers have a lower cost-of-entry and more freedom than they do on consoles to do whatever they like.

Which, those are quite fair advantages. There's also one more: Any of your stuff that runs on a PC now, is practically guaranteed to be able to run on any future PCs you may own, barring a handful of weird circumstances (some games didn't survive the move onto Vista, for example - though there are ways to get them to run nowadays on Windows 7 and . For a lot of people, it's inconvenient to switch consoles in and out of connection with your TV, or manage a huge and ridiculous A/V switch to keep them all hooked up at the same time, leading some people to think that a new console generation is the first step in their current consoles becoming obsolete (which is only true from the perspective of ongoing support).

The "game consoles should only play games" thing is a narrow-minded and obsolete way of thinking, because game consoles aren't just game consoles any more, and they haven't been for at least an entire generation (or two, considering the Dreamcast web browser and DVD movie playback on the PS2 and Xbox). Going into the new generation, games consoles are very specifically home entertainment centerpieces... Which is something PCs are already well-equipped to do anyway.

These, combined with the fact that people still have a ridiculous amount of misconceptions about both upcoming systems (I met someone last week who still thought the Xbox One requires an always-on internet connection, for example), are contributing to a highly-vocal minority of players who feel it's necessary to announce their shift toward being a PC gamer as if they've seen the light of some sort, despite that it's not really that noteworthy and they just want to feel special and get recognition for doing so.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

I imagine that many of the people vocalizing their shift to PC gaming are many of the same people who vocalized their preference for a specific console.

That is to say, they're the expectable noise in the broader gaming discussion.

The lines are really beginning to blur between consoles and PCs anymore, especially with next-gen consoles moving to x86 architecture. It basically IS a PC now, but with one big difference--restriction. You're gonna do what it wants to do, on its terms, in its way. Not to mention many gamers have powerful enough gaming PCs to run anything you could put on a console anyway, and doing so has become far cheaper.

I'm personally growing extremely tired of console wars and with the coming x86 architecture I expect PC ports to grow exponentially, because it would be fairly simple to do so. The PC market seems to be moving in the opposite direction of the console market, and it's a no-brainer when you look at the myriad of restrictions on next-gen consoles versus the freedoms you have with Steam.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

I dunno...

To me it seems more understandable to make handheld costumes take over the portable entertainment market.

But I don't want my xbox taking control over everything I do in the living room. Being able to play DVD's was conveniant. literally every thing else added is "Most people already have computers, cable service and smartphones wtf."

But it does sound futuristic from a 80's-90's kid perspective...

One machine that just does everything instead of having 5-8 machines do that. But that path coming from videogames just rubs people the wrong way. (especially "gamers")

But looking at company's like microsoft and sony. That's probably what they've been all about from the beginning. Maybe XBOX and Playstation is easier to go with than some new device called "SONY HOME" and "WINDOWS SANCTUARY" or something even if they were previously known as only videogame consoles.

Yeah... consoles and I guess arcade machines used to be computers designed around running a game. Now they're computers designed around taking over all entertainment and communication when everyone stopped paying close attention.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Spoiler!

Not only are modern consoles the same, hardware-wise, as PCs, the specs of those next-gen consoles that aren't even out yet are similar to low-end computers that we have right now.

That's not the only reason why I believe consoles are in trouble. In fact, there are so many, that I'd rather list the advantages of consoles instead: they have exclusive games. Take Nintendo, that paid Platinum for Bayonetta 2 to be a Wii U exclusive, for an example. Or Sony, that paid an indie dev so that the sequel to their PC game would be a PS4 exclusive.
    Last edited by Dhylec; Aug 28, 2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: point taken!