Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

I would change the gears and how they are. A few other things, but that's all I would change.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    Yeah, not gonna lie, the skill trees in this game are pretty bad when it comes to actually offering you much in the way of choices. As it is, there are generally one or two paths that are optimal and everything else is just a waste of time (ranger and hunter are particularly guilty of this).

It wouldn't be so much of an issue if, for example, you could fully invest into one side of the tree and still have points left over to put into something on the other side of the tree.
    This is the big problem. They don't let you get multiple things. Hunter's tree would be perfect if they shaved 10-15 SP off of the Fury branch without reducing the damage, letting players choose between Iron Will, Automate Halfline, or an array of other skills. Hunter's role might not be perfect, but with one tree maxed and extra SP to dip into some of the abilities of the other you'd have very good tree design. Allowing overspecialization is bad, because eventually it becomes required.

I also agree 100% that skills should have their best gains at 1 sp, and if the skill doesn't get much better then it shouldn't require much more sp. I posted a brief rant explanation about this a ways back, and they later on added 5 SP skills that did exactly that, so either someone's watching or they're figuring out what works and what doesn't as they go.

Either way, 10 sp for 10% is awful and needs to go. Make those all 5 SP skills, have them give 50% at 1 SP, and then let them finish off with the last 4 SP. Also, make skills a choice of situational bonuses, and awesome when they're in effect. Just like, say, Crazy Heart. 1.5x at 1 sp, 2x at 5 sp. That's perfect. Then again, Crazy Heart's biggest flaw is it requires lots of SP sinks to get to, and it's pretty situational...but it's a step in the right direction. They need to add a Crazy Slayer Stance or something though, which would automatically enable all of the slayer and crazy skills.
    Last edited by gigawuts; Aug 31, 2013 at 03:43 PM.

The only skill I've found useful was Katana Combat because it's the only thing that actually resembles what a skill should actually be. Plus it's just fun going basically hyper mode on a boss zooming at high speeds. Other than that though, all the other skills are useless.

I actually agree on skill trees in general. I'd say we get far too many points for this type of game. As such, we need talents that are just point holes so that we may toss them in without regret, and it makes each talent point by itself, also known as levelling up, irrelevant past level 20 or stuff.

I think we actually should get points for these "holes", and different points every... 5 levels perhaps? For the far more important one pointers, which as a result would have their own tree. Or something. Whatever.

In any case, flawed as they are, they still work. It's one of these things that COULD be better, but are nice to have in the game as they are anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancerRaiko View Post
    Yeah there's maybe one or two useful ones in SOME skill trees but not ALL. For example, I'm playing as a Braver and to be honest a lot of those skills are just disappointing. Have friends playing as techers and things, and they only end up getting any use out of just one skill and only when it's maxed out.'
    One skill? There are far more skills than just 'one' to max out for each class that are highly beneficial and turn the tides in combat.

For instance, with my HU/FO setup, I can max out all (or most of) the Fury Stance-based skills, spending the couple of points left for Sword Gear, and I get a 60%+ damage boost along with Critical Strike chances increased up to 20%. Combine all that with the damage bonuses from JA Boosts and the Over End PA, and you're pretty much a non-stop killing machine.

For the FO (TE as well), there is an abundance of skills to choose from, and the same goes for FI, RA, and GU. In the Braver's case, the skill trees are very tied to what the class excels in---offense from melee or long range, your pick.

SKILL TREES ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THAT. You should be getting actual use out of them, not just a few barely tiny boosts. Putting ONE skill point in a skill should give you a 20% damage increase, not maxing it out. I know PSO2 isn't supposed to be like other rpg's but come on this is like RPG 101 basic stuff here. I could literally make a character without using a single skill point and he wouldn't perform much differently than anyone else.
    I think you're over-reacting to the situation here.

The Class Skills are not at all meant to replace the ones you already have on your sub-palette or weapon palette; they're meant to supplement them instead as passive skills as you already have a ton of PAs and Techniques you can use in place of a normal class skill system. Also, you clearly don't know how the math behind the system works.

To keep it simple, let's say I do 200 damage each hit with a JA on the Sword. If I put one point into JA Boost 1, that goes up 2 damage. Alright. Doesn't look like much, right? Well, let's take another example out of the book. When I use Over End on a better Sword, with Sword Gear already learnt, along with a GuRa using WB on, oh, let's say the Vol Dragon's head, I do 4000 damage normally. With the JA Boost 1 and 2 at max, that percentage increase is +20%, and with max Fury Stance, and FS Boost 1 and 2, it climbs to a staggering +65%.

Still not impressed? Well, with that boost, I'd be easily doing 6600 on each hit, along with more from Critical Strikes, other parts of the Vol Dragon that I'm hitting, and WB giving an even further increase from a GuRa (and you don't even want to fathom how much dps that would be if the GuRa has WB skills maxed out as well).
    Last edited by Korazenn; Aug 31, 2013 at 04:00 PM.

I agree that that the skill trees are crap, yet...
    Photon arts? Technics? Mags? All good.
    Photon Arts and Techniques? When most of them are redundant to use?

Mags? When you are forced into shelling out real money if you want more than 1? Which is pretty important if you either mess up or want to play more than one class.

Are you the sickest dude? Lumpen Thingy's Avatar

Was referring to the Braver skill tree in that example. Therefore you just proved my point that the Braver skill tree really only has one truly useful skill if you had to tell me to go seek another one from a different skill tree.

Also thanks for calling someone a 'fucking idiot' over their opinion of a terri-bad skill tree system in a game. Really shows the amount of respect you have for others.
    Ok max every weak stance boost and use a bow and there. Now you rape every boss in the game and just use katanas for aoe. Boy that sure was hard to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpen Thingy View Post
    Um ya you're a fucking idiot. sub hunter and max all the furry stance skills and then tell me that furry stance is worthless.
    For optimal furry stance, do you recommend bunny ears/tail, cat ears/tail, or fox ears/tail? What are the benefits and drawbacks of each?

Are you the sickest dude? Lumpen Thingy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walkure View Post
    For optimal furry stance, do you recommend bunny ears/tail, cat ears/tail, or fox ears/tail? What are the benefits and drawbacks of each?
    well cat ears/tails are all always the best so go with those, fox ears/tails are sort of meh while bunny ears/tails are a bit too playboyish for my taste

Fursona of the T.V World Foxy-Kun's Avatar

Yeah there's maybe one or two useful ones in SOME skill trees but not ALL. For example, I'm playing as a Braver and to be honest a lot of those skills are just disappointing. Have friends playing as techers and things, and they only end up getting any use out of just one skill and only when it's maxed out.'

SKILL TREES ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THAT. You should be getting actual use out of them, not just a few barely tiny boosts. Putting ONE skill point in a skill should give you a 20% damage increase, not maxing it out. I know PSO2 isn't supposed to be like other rpg's but come on this is like RPG 101 basic stuff here. I could literally make a character without using a single skill point and he wouldn't perform much differently than anyone else.
    I would like to see this done; because you're blowing it out of proportion and it's a little annoying.

I do not think 1 point in a skill tree should give you 20% damage increase, that's ridiculous. This is a MMORPG, not a RPG. There's a wide difference between the two, and both have very different game builds. Honestly, I think for how easy it is to hit 100k+ damage on anything in this game, the skill trees are just fine.
    For the first time in over 3 years, I'm single again!

Be happy, because logic doesn't tell us how to reject it.
    -Quote from a guy I randomly met