Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for advice on my Fighter/Hunter build

Hello, I started playing this game for little less than 4 days and I decided something around the Hunter class, then I found out about the Fighter class and sub classes and meh... I got a bit lost.

I read a bit of stuff here and there and came up with a build for a Fighter/Hunter (Hunter as sub, now as main which will then be switched to sub).

I came up with something like this .

The point was to have a mid/high damage while having some survivability so I can hold up a few hits, in hindsight it seems to work but as I am a newbie on this game (and the whole Phantasy Star saga) I might be wrong on some stuff.

What I want: to know if it's a proper/decent/good build, if it's good enough for end game and if it's doable. Hopefully some advices too, also I mean to focus on twin blades with the rest mostly for the fun xD...

Thanks for any help you can provide and really sorry if this is somewhat in a wrong section (honestly didn't check well and it's a bit late for me so yeah...).

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Don't bother with Critical ups. It's not worth it. Don't put that much into step advance either, on both trees. Unnecessary. Sword gear is pretty useful, but I'm sure someone is going to condemn you to hell after I post, so I'm gonna recommend getting sword gear. Being tanky IS fun, don't get me wrong, but unfortunately, people will tell you FULL DEEPS OR YOU'RE AN ASSHAT. (sadly that's how the game is based, at the moment.) If you can Just Guard well enough, Iron Will doesn't become super necessary, though it's still helpful. I'd say maybe leave it at level three or five.

Here's a skill tree I put together quickly Still gives you a bit of beef, but you can do damage too. Putting full points into Fury Stance is good, because the more you level it, the lower the damage taken penalty is. Also reshuffled the points from step advances, and put in your mag stats as well. With a good set of units and affixes, it looks like you'll be alright.

Edited because I don't know how to link properly.

Edit 2: Lol step attack, forgot.
    Last edited by Nitro Vordex; Sep 15, 2013 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Vordex View Post
    Sword gear is pretty useful, but I'm sure someone is going to condemn you to hell after I post
    It's a shame it's not in a better place, and that it's annoying as hell to charge up, but oh well. If your goal is to main TD it's a forgettable weapon anyway.

tankier | full damage

IMO, iron will is just not good compared to automate. You're facing either a 75% chance to not die, then have to spend 5 seconds quaffing a trimate, or a 100% chance to autoheal and be able to right back up without wasting time. I used to run an automate tree, at this point I wouldn't be without the damage output of full fury but if you want to die less it's certainly viable. Otherwise just max fury and blow everything away. You definitely want partizan gear, it gives certain PAs (assault buster) a stupidly large AoE that can clear many TA spawns in one go. I omitted WL gear since you didn't have it initially but it's useful as well, sword gear you may as well take on the former tree since it's right there. Note that you can build a lot of survivability into your units (large amounts of HP) so if you're comfortable with a large health pool, you may not even need automate.

The fighter trees are exactly the same on both builds. You want brave and wise up, then the stances themselves because damage% goes a lot farther than straight satk in this game, you may not even want to bother with chase if you're too lazy to affix status effects on your weapon (like me ), and...that's about it. You WILL be using a 10* at some time or another though, so you definitely want rare mastery for 30 free satk. As nitro said, step advance and critical skills aren't as useful as they sound.
    Arie | Ship 2 | Ignition | TA Guide (not made by me) | Inactive on this forum

Alright, first off I want to say this: Step Advance only stacks up to 0.2 seconds in total - but it stacks between both your main and subclass (I have not tested this, but a few people I trust have said this so I believe it). That means 3 SP in one tree and 2 in the other is all you need.

Second, in re: to Nitro: I'd definitely say Iron Will is a 10 or 0 skill. Or, more specifically, it's a 15 or 0 skill. Putting 5 SP into War Cry to get it to 1 is a bad plan IMO. I played with Iron Will 10 for a long time and can definitely see the appeal, so if you want to get it then go for it. Then again, this was back when Fury Stance was a static atk bonus and before Fury Combo Up existed, so there was more SP to kick into other skills.

Here's what I would recommend:
    http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/ski...000000lb00000f

Chase will get you nice mileage for that 15 SP, and Chase Bind is very nice at 1 SP with fighter weapons. If you were hu/fi the extra 9 SP would be better, due to the fewer hits hunter weapons tend to focus on, but that's not a big concern with fighter's frantic striking.

Rare Mastery Fighter is a great skill to drop 1 SP into, it's +30 satk for all 10*s.

Adrenaline is a VERY underrated skill. Any time you get nicked with 2 pulses of a buff you have the full 60 seconds. If you stand in a techer's shifta you probably have 2 full minutes, since most techers will have 1 point in extend assist. 1 SP gets you 35 seconds per pulse, up from 15. That pushes buffs from "meh, I can't be bothered standing here" into "I'm already walking away and have the longest possible buff." It makes a difference.

As for iron will vs. automate, I disagree. Automate sounds better on paper, but the reality is you have to drop your monos to get any real gains out of it and then you can't top yourself off without downing a di or even tri. It's too limited in its use. Maybe if it chose the right mate to use automatically sure, using dis if you're under 40% health so you can top off with monos, but it doesn't. I'd actually prefer a bonus to mate healing or speedier mate animation than automate, but neither of those are available (yet, that is).

This is how I'd change your build, while keeping it mostly the same.

Critical skills are bad because critical hits are bad. It's not like other games where they do 1.5x, 2x, or even 3x damage. In PSO2, crits deal 1x. All they really do is force your maximum damage, so if normally you could hit for 150-200, a crit will always be 200.

Step Advance past 3 (maybe 4) is all you need. Each point is very minor, we're talking milliseconds here. Also they only stack to 0.2, so any points past lv3 on both Hunter and Fighter won't do anything at all.

Taking away the above lets us get a bit more damage, weapon gears, and damage mitigation by maxing Fury Stance.

Things to note: Rare Mastery only works on your main class. So if you have it on Fighter's tree, you won't get the bonus as Hu/Fi. At least one point is a good investment, however, since a good rule of thumb is 1 SP = 1% dmg = 20 Atk. Any skill that gives more than that much per point should be top priority.

Chase Advance won't work on any (large) boss, since they are immune to status effects. Minibosses are immune to most status effects, so you'll either need specialized gear or rely on someone else to inflict the ailment. Small enemies that are susceptible to most things die too fast to reliably inflict anything on them, so you won't actually see the benefits of this skill very often. The bonus when it is active is really nice, though, and affixing a status effect on daggers or double sabers can be really effective since each hit has a separate chance to apply it.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverDT View Post
    It's a shame it's not in a better place, and that it's annoying as hell to charge up, but oh well. If your goal is to main TD it's a forgettable weapon anyway.
    Yeah, I don't particularly use Swords that much anyway. Plus the PA's it's used for aren't very popular, as far as I know.
    The fighter trees are exactly the same on both builds. You want brave and wise up, then the stances themselves because damage% goes a lot farther than straight satk in this game, you may not even want to bother with chase if you're too lazy to affix status effects on your weapon (like me ), and...that's about it. You WILL be using a 10* at some time or another though, so you definitely want rare mastery for 30 free satk. As nitro said, step advance and critical skills aren't as useful as they sound.
    Yeah, I was going to put rare mastery in there. I'm terrible at using this tool, apparently, so kindly ignore the one I put up there from this point on.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    Alright, first off I want to say this: Step Advance only stacks up to 0.2 seconds in total - but it stacks between both your main and subclass (I have not tested this, but a few people I trust have said this so I believe it). That means 3 SP in one tree and 2 in the other is all you need.
    Good to know!
    Second, in re: to Nitro: I'd definitely say Iron Will is a 10 or 0 skill. Or, more specifically, it's a 15 or 0 skill. Putting 5 SP into War Cry to get it to 1 is a bad plan IMO. I played with Iron Will 10 for a long time and can definitely see the appeal, so if you want to get it then go for it. Then again, this was back when Fury Stance was a static atk bonus and before Fury Combo Up existed, so there was more SP to kick into other skills.
    Iron Will feels awesome when it kicks in, but the RNG ams a fickle mistress.
    Chase will get you nice mileage for that 15 SP, and Chase Bind is very nice at 1 SP with fighter weapons. If you were hu/fi the extra 9 SP would be better, due to the fewer hits hunter weapons tend to focus on, but that's not a big concern with fighter's frantic striking.
    I only don't like the Chase, but that's only because I feel like everything dies too damn fast when I'm in a party for it to matter. Solo play or small groups, I definitely agree it's good. In party play, I feel like it falls off, but that may be due to me using Knuckles most of the time.
    Adrenaline is a VERY underrated skill. Any time you get nicked with 2 pulses of a buff you have the full 60 seconds. If you stand in a techer's shifta you probably have 2 full minutes, since most techers will have 1 point in extend assist. 1 SP gets you 35 seconds per pulse, up from 15. That pushes buffs from "meh, I can't be bothered standing here" into "I'm already walking away and have the longest possible buff." It makes a difference.
    I will keep this information in mind, in case I ever decide to spend money on a reset. (See: never)

Fret not, they pass out all-tree resets with every major tree addition or change. When they add new skills everyone should get one (which should be in the next month or two, I believe). You can save all of your changes for that.

They're adding skills soon? Good, I can plan out what I gotta change then. Sweet.

There are skills in the datafiles, and I think it was in the roadmap for some time in the near future yeah.

Something amusing: Braver has a skill or two that seem to kick in when you get a critical. One looks like it gives you back PP when you get a crit, but the other is completely uncertain. Crit skills may wind up being very useful after that change if you have braver as your main or sub. Imagine a deadly archer with a 50% critrate, giving +10 PP per crit.

But that would mean you either have Fighter or Braver instead of Hunter, and I would rather have ~120% more damage than ~50% or even ~80%, accounting for new damage skills, just to get some extra PP regen.

And Hunter should be getting that skill for +20% mate effectiveness, though if that's really worth 10 SP I can't say.