Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Quote Originally Posted by ThePendragon View Post
    It was good, given what they were capable of at the time. It does not hold up well at all. Hell, it didn't hold up well a few years after release.
    While not entirely incorrect depending on your perspective, and I even agree given that perspective, the exact same argument could be made about Pacman and the original Zelda - both of which were earth shattering for their time. The controls are annoying, glitches aren't entirely difficult to find, and they're overly simple.

Yet they hold up when you examine them on a conceptual level, what came before them, and consider the technology of the time.

PSO2 doesn't really seem to do much but imitate what already exists, which is something I dislike but I understand. There's really not that much more to innovate with this exact style of game, and Sega has become extremely risk-averse lately so this was pretty much expected.

wise words of giga.
    Graphics Designer/Product Designer/Illustrator/General handy guy/not taking any requests right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gama View Post
    nostalgia is a bitch because were not going to be 12 again and we will never feel like we did on pso, so we will forever feel that the game isnt good enought because it does not deliver the same sensation we had when we were 12.
    It's funny how a lot of people are saying this and it does happen to apply to the vast majority of people here. Quick! We need someone in their 30's to tell us how PSO made them feel in their 20's!

People are always going on about nostalgia, it's usually a kneejerk reaction to try to tell someone they disagree with they're wrong with a standard lazy buzzword reason.

I tend to just like games from that time more in general. I played Half Life 2 before Half Life 1 yet I still prefer Half Life 1 by leaps and bounds. It had a better atmosphere, more streamlined gameplay, and gave resources to modders that helped bring many mods and games to where they are today. Honestly, the only thing I feel HL2 did better was physics puzzles.

Nostalgia? No. Preference? Yes.

I don't know about the future guys, but, PSO has always a place in my heart, PSU, not that much, and PSO2, well it's a good game but I don't know if I'll remember it in the future, let's wait and see.
    *disappears in smoke*
    Busy doing nothing...

I'll remember it as for different reasons. PSO goes down as the game that really got me into the genre and was really that entry level drug that dug me deep.

PSU a great game by all means, however well... There was a good time when a bunch of people would go on about "Who is Thaisoup in game?" because I was infamous for trades, threads and getting them gears and well, by all means being a EJ. I do recall a certain time when people found out my association with Endykins and lightdamage aka Grimace and they got spammed with mails trying to figure out the secret. All of this somewhat indirectly links to part of what I consider a con that I understand about the game. I can't interact and trade with the entire community because you get locked into ships when you make a character. All in all that won't stop me from putting reality checks into peoples crurazhee values of their items but still it doesn't have that same feel.

As a game itself, I feel it will be memorable but the game itself is still in its early stages of content imo and I'm sure as time passes there will be some bigger changes that will make a large impact on PSO2. I do appreciate how the game is slowly making its way into more of a action game as a very in depth player of games like Devil May Cry. Obviously though, PSO2 is a far shout from that complexity and options of the 3/4 from such a series.

Nope.

Probably because I was too young to be playing online games on the Dreamcast and whatnot.

Will this game be memorable in general for me? Probably, considering it's the second mmo I ever really got into. But it's more for the people I've met and friends I've made than the game itself at this point.
    Steam: gutsyunicycle (Nickname: Jungo)
    PSO2: Ship 2