Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My .00002 btc:
    -The state of the game is pretty decent. People like to complain about class balance, but there's a huge variety of builds and each one kind of has its own role. Find out what you have the most fun playing as. The only issues I have are typical of most F2P games, you do have to spend a little AC to be able to do things like re-spec your skill trees, buy additional mags, and purchase 10-start (and soon 11-star) weapons from player shops. You have an advantage if you have access to AC, but it's not as if the game is completely shut out to free players. Just make sure you do plenty of research on your skill builds and mag build, because you can't reset them without AC. I personally don't mind paying for some AC from time to time, though, since I was used to paying for a Hunter's License for PSO and PSU.

-There is a decent English speaking community on Ship 02, but there's a lot of jerks, too. I was able to make friends with people who are more laid back, and I play solo a lot too. Once I found a team that's a little more laid back, I started enjoying the game a lot more.

I still enjoy the game quite a bit! Like you, I played for a little bit then took a long break after the start.

I came back a while ago and did not regret it at all. You'll find a lot of negativity from some people, but I suggest trying it yourself. You can always pick up and play at your leisure.

This game is not PSO1, nor is it PSU. Do not come in expecting another PSO, despite what the name says. This is F2P first, PSO second.

Hunting items, something most of us spent all of our time doing in PSO1 and PSU, is extremely time consuming and tedious (many, including myself, can attest to a several hundred/thousand hour hunt with zero results even for other members of the party), and most items are honestly exactly the same as others of the same type with 5% more damage under X conditions on a new model. You can also usually just buy the item by saving up for it by doing other things, and probably for considerably less work.

Most abilities you've come to love on weapons - freezing, special energy wave attacks, etc. are tied to skilltrees, photon arts, and weapon ability affixes. This is why weapons rarely grant anything unique other than +5% damage under this condition, +10% damage under that condition, etc.

Keep that in mind and you should be fine.