Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Palle View Post
    Yes, sometime after the commercial success of GITS (I'm thinking 1998~2000ish), he began this strange transition from complex, highly-technical world-building as a backdrop for well-paced and exciting storytelling to CGI pinup girl sculpting. As far as I know he's gone full ecchi now. Weird.

It's easier and probably sells more to casual browsers (and kids).

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    It's easier and probably sells more to casual browsers (and kids).
    Possibly. I mean yes that is true, but in his case I'm sure he's loaded as fuck and doesn't need to press sales. I suspect it's just all he wants to do at this point in his career.

/conjecture
    Tax the fucking churches.

sex sells

having at lest one fanservice character costs little to nothing extra, but will aid in sales

from a business perspective, it would be stupid not to put in a scantily clad character
    Well, I thought it was pretty clear I was asking from a creative standpoint, but sure let's play:

No, sex is not some unified design choice that sells across the board. Sex can be portrayed in a myriad of different ways and aimed at a any number of different demographics. Different types of sexualized content can sell to different kinds of markets, but that doesn't mean that sexual content has a universal appeal or that specific kinds of sexual content are appealing to a majority of the target demographic.

The kind of sexualization we're seeing with this character sells well with the adolescent man-children segment. That's not really a niche anybody should be chasing or catering to with their mainstream entertainment product especially when the creator is trying to suggest that it is a serious piece of drama made for serious, mature adults.

Now on the other hand, if Konami & Kojima were just admitted the entire MGSV game was being designed to tittilate the reptile brain of teenagers, I would withdraw my complaint. The problem is when you ask people to hold your work to a higher standard they generally tend to, y'know, hold it to a higher standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    Well, I thought it was pretty clear I was asking from a creative standpoint, but sure let's play:

No, sex is not some unified design choice that sells across the board. Sex can be portrayed in a myriad of different ways and aimed at a any number of different demographics. Different types of sexualized content can sell to different kinds of markets, but that doesn't mean that sexual content has a universal appeal or that specific kinds of sexual content are appealing to a majority of the target demographic.

The kind of sexualization we're seeing with this character sells well with the adolescent man-children segment. That's not really a niche anybody should be chasing or catering to with their mainstream entertainment product especially when the creator is trying to suggest that it is a serious piece of drama made for serious, mature adults.

Now on the other hand, if Konami & Kojima were just admitted the entire MGSV game was being designed to tittilate the reptile brain of teenagers, I would withdraw my complaint. The problem is when you ask people to hold your work to a higher standard they generally tend to, y'know, hold it to a higher standard.
    Money.

Your argument is invalid.

Money.

Your argument is invalid.
    C'mon, we both know you can troll better than that.

(At least, I hope you can.)

But anyway: Kojima has clearly stated that Quiet is naked for a creative reason, going so far as to say people will feel bad when they find out why she's dressed like she is. Hey, if that's the case, then maybe he's thought of a good reason to do something gross and tasteless. However, current theories point to the reason being that she's a victim of sexual assault which is... not great in terms of either trying to build a character or in trying not to be tasteless? So... bleh.
    Last edited by Outrider; Feb 27, 2014 at 05:37 PM.

C'mon, we both know you can troll better than that.
    Oh I'm not trolling. I'm completely serious. Even the most esteemed individuals must bow to the pressure of money - if not for themselves, then for others. Maybe it wasn't even within his power. Maybe he it was give and take. Maybe this, maybe that.

But to say the kinds of things you're saying, that a game must be one thing or the other and cannot be intended as one thing yet still be laced with content that would sell it to different audiences anyway, is just naive; nevermind saying that any individual, no matter who, would be the only person with the power to make the decision and that noone else would have a vested interest.
    Last edited by gigawuts; Feb 27, 2014 at 05:38 PM.

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

(Who doesn't like non-gross sexy things?)
    I like gross sexy things.

No, no, it is not about money. It's Hideo Kojima and it is Metal Gear Solid V. You either have no working knowledge of AAA development in general or you have no working knowledge of the creative control given to Kojima on this series but either way you just keep saying profoundly stupid things.

I know you think your generalized cynicism is somehow insightful but I don't have the hours needed to catalog the myriad of ways in which you are wrong.

Stop. Dear God, stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorafim View Post
    I like gross sexy things.
    Well, I'm not here to question your fetishes.

So, I'm confused. Is Outrider insinuating that because Hideo Kojima is Hideo Kojima and MGS is MGS, that there's absolutely no way they'd ever try to use sexualization to sell something? Y'know, like pretty much every other company does?

Because that's profoundly stupid.

Because, they are doing that.

...and it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    So, I'm confused. Is Outrider insinuating that because Hideo Kojima is Hideo Kojima and MGS is MGS, that there's absolutely no way they'd ever try to use sexualization to sell something? Y'know, like pretty much every other company does?
    Yes, he is.

I mean, I'll be the first to admit I know essentially nothing about MGS, Hideo, or anything Playstation or Sony at all, but

Money and greed have a hand in every single business decision (and believe me, if it goes into something that makes a business money it is a business decision), and calling pointing that fact out cynicism is of the most heinous naivete a person can commit.

I'm not sure what I expected here though. I replied to Shinmaruku and had to deal with Shinmaruku. Now here I am doing it all over again.