Page 1 of 39 123411 ... LastLast

Default etiquette... doesn't exist

foreigners often doesn't practice it in this game...
    I know a lot of you guys do know the basic ones...
    but based on my experience, etiquette of foreigners in this game is just terrible.
    i facepalm everytime someone does something embarrassing in the chat (well I always feel embarrassed about it... I don't know about you guys... )
    japanese players are very good at ignoring stuff...but don't you know that it is a bit uncomfortable for them? (you are all scaring us! hahaha)

Typical gaijin chat in this game:
    (in lobby chat or emergency quest)
    gaijin #1: Hi!
    gaijin #2: OMG hi!
    gaijin #3: you here too! wow!
    (insert more lines)
    mmm, there is something called a whisper chat if you guys are going to talk like this is like an irc chat...
    I know some jps do chat like that too but not in a very crowded place...
    and er who cares...it is a japanese game
    not being against all foreign players, I have a lot of gaijin friends.
    but this stereotype that they lack any manners is being very common in this game that I don't know what to believe anymore
    when I do teach etiquette to foreigners, I end up being hated... like I hate them from the start but I really don't. I just want them to know the basic manners... (I mean at least say yoroshiku when joining a pt)
    I also get annoyed by people complaining how this game is not gaijin friendly...
    partially sega's fault for not putting an ip block or something which they should if they really want to solve something ...
    anyway, when I see a foreigner in the game who does spam the chat, I often just ignore them like the rest...
    every other jp player just shrugs it off and have that awkward moment...
    ...or I just do what most of them do if they become really annoying, put them in my ever growing black list of foreign players...

this wouldnt be a problem if the JP's actually told players or Try to tell them in broken english to use whisper chat instead of just ignoreing it and let keep going.
    Last edited by pkemr4; Apr 7, 2014 at 11:12 AM.
    栄美
    ID: joshirosama

Yes, the Japanese should somehow tell the English players to use Whisper, using their extensive and broad knowledge of English.

・・・

Trying to have a conversation with more than two persons with whispers doesn't work. Sorry, but if SEGA didn't want you to talk in the lobby, they wouldn't have bothered making lobbies in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardios View Post
    Trying to have a conversation with more than two persons with whispers doesn't work. Sorry, but if SEGA didn't want you to talk in the lobby, they wouldn't have bothered making lobbies in the first place.
    They could always start a party.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-0 View Post
    Yes, the Japanese should somehow tell the English players to use Whisper, using their extensive and broad knowledge of English.

・・・
    good point... but still there are some JP's in B10-12 that speak some english that could tell them that
    栄美
    ID: joshirosama

Typically I only chat up in party or team if a group is needed, or those conversations that happen in rooms. Most of my conversations are 1 on 1 anyways so whisper would work, as for larger groups I have those people on Skype so I can even talk out of game because I play in windowed mode.

Also hi Shizu-nyan

I just don't talk much. Already shy enough in-game, but if a JP player joins I feel really embarrassed and don't know what I should do so I just play and use rudimentary knowledge to follow any suggestions they give during harder missions (say, TD).

Usually makes people happy. Though, I still feel bad about this one time someone said something that basically was "thanks for the party," and though that's what I was sure they said I panicked and just used an appropriate lobby action before we all left.

Honestly even if I continued learning the language on my own I'd be too afraid to use it, for basically no reason :P

everyone, calm down
    its just a weeaboo
    P S O W
    (´_ゝ`) current chars: ジョゼフィン / ジョゼフ / リノ | playerid: ponponparapara
    died to SEGAC corporate robots on 05/01/2016, never forget

Quote Originally Posted by 夏目静香 View Post
    foreigners often doesn't practice it in this game...
    I know a lot of you guys do know the basic ones...
    but based on my experience, etiquette of foreigners in this game is just terrible.
    i facepalm everytime someone does something embarrassing in the chat (well I always feel embarrassed about it... I don't know about you guys... )
    japanese players are very good at ignoring stuff...but don't you know that it is a bit uncomfortable for them? (you are all scaring us! hahaha)

Typical gaijin chat in this game:
    (in lobby chat or emergency quest)
    gaijin #1: Hi!
    gaijin #2: OMG hi!
    gaijin #3: you here too! wow!
    (insert more lines)
    mmm, there is something called a whisper chat if you guys are going to talk like this is like an irc chat...
    I know some jps do chat like that too but not in a very crowded place...
    and er who cares...it is a japanese game
    not being against all foreign players, I have a lot of gaijin friends.
    but this stereotype that they lack any manners is being very common in this game that I don't know what to believe anymore
    when I do teach etiquette to foreigners, I end up being hated... like I hate them from the start but I really don't. I just want them to know the basic manners... (I mean at least say yoroshiku when joining a pt)
    I also get annoyed by people complaining how this game is not gaijin friendly...
    partially sega's fault for not putting an ip block or something which they should if they really want to solve something ...
    anyway, when I see a foreigner in the game who does spam the chat, I often just ignore them like the rest...
    every other jp player just shrugs it off and have that awkward moment...
    ...or I just do what most of them do if they become really annoying, put them in my ever growing black list of foreign players...
    I mean, you gotta understand here dude. You say "etiquette", but what's considered etiquette varies between cultures. People from outside Japan often have no clue at all about the nuances of Japanese culture. Some of us do, but there's definitely a bunch who just don't even see why that's wrong. Even if you do tell them, a lot of this goes on as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnocentrism
    which makes it hard to even get said people to really get it because they just see the Japanese rules as stupid.

That ain't everybody of course. But you're actually displaying the same ethnocentrism in a way for calling foreigners all rude. Of course I'd say you're somewhat justified. There are definitely a good number of people who really *should* know better at this point.

And on a side note, as far as stupid lobby chat goes I've totally seen JP players talk about very dumb things in the lobby as well before. And maybe you guys don't care so much if the silly talk is in JP. But its misleading for foreign players who see something being spoken and think "Oh, someone is saying stuff in the lobby. That must be okay.". The connection of "Oh wait, Japanese is fine, but English is not in this situation." isn't going to come naturally to the average person I don't think.