Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Hmm... Seems doable but might be troublesome at first mainly. because I use spanish daily written and spoken and have some practice in mandarin from my time at school but if the rules for katakana are that easy I should be able to manage. Though having at conversation is out of the question for sure unless someone would be willing to teach me the basics and build up my skill the language.

What kind of losers still play on Ship 2 anyway?

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inazuma View Post
    I can't read Japanese whatsoever. Not even katakana. I'm sure I could learn how, but I don't have any use for it. Unless I read it on a regular basis, I would just end up forgetting it. I can read and type English well enough to play PSO2 at least.
    And now you know why people don't learn japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorafim View Post
    And now you know why people don't learn japanese.
    PSO2 is a Japanese game. It seems silly to spend thousands of hours on a Japanese game, yet refuse to learn any Japanese. It's like the people who move to a different country and never try to learn the language.
    Quit PSO2

Quote Originally Posted by Inazuma View Post
    PSO2 is a Japanese game. It seems silly to spend thousands of hours on a Japanese game, yet refuse to learn any Japanese. It's like the people who move to a different country and never try to learn the language.

I agree 100% Sure we may not live there but we are exposed to the japanese culture and language every day. Doesn't seem all that unreasonable sure we never use it outside of that but it is still something nice while our time on there lasts. That said we need to give a damn if no we won't ever learn anything.

I personally don't feel like it's worth investing time into learning a language because of video games, TV Shows, etc. If I learn a language I want to learn it because I want to talk to people who speak it, or want to visit a foreign country, or just for the sake of knowledge. It would be useful for imported games and such, but that's not culture or interaction. I feel like it would be a waste of something useful. That's why I never went through with learning it, I needed real motivation besides playing a video game.

Just for a game is silly what I meant is while were are there we shouldn't limit ourselves to just our people try to make friends with the japanese as well. Gives incentive to learn the language and possibly of their culture and we can be the other way around if they are also willing to learn. Maybe I am just over thinking things.

I've had some good old small talk with my limited Japanese before, and being able to really talk would be nice, but it just didn't stick with me. If you want to learn then go for it, it would really nice to talk to new people with a new language, learning something like this is actually fun if you really want too. But this is a game, and meeting people in a game could be different from meeting people in person.

Well, spent some time yesterday practicing my katakana on a few japanese items I own. I had a super mario bros dot pin sprite kit and the title in katakana translated to "supa mario brazerez". Pretty fricking hillarious!

Yeah, it's cool going back and being able to read things you've had for years.

A lot of katakana is an approximation. Certain sounds can't actually be made with katakana, so they go with something similar. In one word they'll go one way, in another word they'll go another way. I've also noticed a lot of words will be written based on how they're spelled, instead of how they sound. Don't even ask me why the letter X is transliterated as キシ (kishi), like in axeon (アキシオン), I have nfi. And cake? It's ケーキ (cakie? cakey?). I can't even.