View Poll Results: Will you play PSO2 4K?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I'll play PSO2 4K!

11 25.00%
  • No. There is no point to play PSO2 at 4K.

17 38.64%
  • Not sure..

10 22.73%
  • I already play PSO2 4K.

6 13.64%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yep. Overclocked, full load, stock cooler. I'll be buying an aftermarket cooler when I get a Broadwell later on. It'd be at about 15 Celsius less if I put it back to stock clock, but if I can squeeze out the increase I'm gonna go ahead and do just that. And I have no clue about the ambient temps, but let's say I don't have to worry about winter heating.
    Last edited by Coreven; Apr 9, 2014 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJcooltrainer View Post
    Dat CPU temp tho... is this at full load? Stock cooler? I know the Haswell chips run 'hot', but damn... that's worse than the Prescott Pentium 4's. How much does it bring up the ambient temps in your case?
    They run "hot" because on Ivybridge (3rd gen) and Haswell (4th gen) they used thermal paste under the tin lid chip rather than fluxless solider past 2nd gen Intel cpus and probably who knows that they will use later down the line and stock coolers are crap even on AMD chips so better off with a aftermarket cooling heatsink or watercooling.
    Last edited by Aeris; Apr 9, 2014 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inazuma View Post
    Frame rate is more important than resolution to me. If it was possible to run the game at 4k but also keep a steady 120 FPS, I might consider it. But before that, I'd rather run the game at 1080p at 120 FPS.

I hear a lot of news stories about modern console games having to reduce the frame rate to 30 fps in order to run at 720p or 1080p. Seems like the priorities are reversed to me.
    Pretty much this. Everything looks peachy to me at 1920x1080.
    But inconsistent or extremely low frame rates make me feel sick.

4k just strikes me as an attempt to market something "bigger and better" to us, because 3d already seems to have fallen into the abyss.
    From what I've heard, most people can't tell the difference between frame rates, so the simpler and obvious choice was to go for the "larger resolution".

4k likely eliminates the need for anti-aliasing and such, but I will just wait until it can keep a consistently high frame rate.

Man, I don't believe for a second that people can't tell the difference between 60 FPS and 120 FPS.

Although, to be fair, I suppose it also depends on the screen size and what kind of content you use to demo it...

Quote Originally Posted by Coreven View Post
    Yep. Overclocked, full load, stock cooler. I'll be buying an aftermarket cooler when I get a Broadwell later on. It'd be at about 15 Celsius less if I put it back to stock clock, but if I can squeeze out the increase I'm gonna go ahead and do just that. And I have no clue about the ambient temps, but let's say I don't have to worry about winter heating.
    Yeah I decided to look up some operating temps online, and yours isn't even that bad from what I've been reading. Might be nice to run in the winter time to keep your bedroom warm, haha. I can see why people are always trying to de-lid this things.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz
    16GB generic DDR3-PC3-12800
    2x GTX 670s w/ 4GB VRAM (each, not combined)

Of course I'm running with SweetFX and AO. Unfortunately, while the FPS is at 60 most of the time, particle overdraw KILLS the framerate... however, this is true no matter what resolution I play at or how much AA I use. Just shitty optimization work (especially considering increasing the particle clipping distance is completely fucking trivial and has major gains for performance).

I'm running at 1920x1080 but using 4x SGSSAA so it's effectively 4k resolution (blurrier yes, but I'll take it over dealing with more visible aliasing).

Of course I can also choose to just downsample from 4k resolution but then it's impossible to take screenshots without the game crashing (or the screenshots never get taken at all), so I don't really bother.

And yeah, I'm using Nvidia's new driver, but with a game like PSO2 nothing's really changed - particle overdraw is still the #1 reason for frame dips.
    HOW. EXPLAIN. THE SWEETFX GUIDE DOESNT WORK.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    Man, I don't believe for a second that people can't tell the difference between 60 FPS and 120 FPS.
    Only if you it videos side by side. I can't tell when I'm just gaming.

My PC should be able to handle 4k just fine but I only have a 1080p monitor right now. I'm probably not going to be buying into any 4k displays just yet because 8k is literally right around the corner. Definitely gonna need to upgrade for that though.

...And more than likely smash a few walls down because that thing will be huuuuuuuuuuge.
    PSO2 - Ian: Level 90/90 Human Bouncer/Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ZER0 DX View Post
    My PC should be able to handle 4k just fine but I only have a 1080p monitor right now. I'm probably not going to be buying into any 4k displays just yet because 8k is literally right around the corner. Definitely gonna need to upgrade for that though.

...And more than likely smash a few walls down because that thing will be huuuuuuuuuuge.
    Or you can downsample~
    Sizustar Fo/Te 75/75 - Ship-2

Screenshot dump
    url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/118177547@N08/[/url]
    Drawing and junk Twitter https://twitter.com/Sizustar - please don't send blank request-

Personally I don't think 4k is worth it at the moment, wait until nvidia's maxwell and amd R9 300 series are out before thinking about building a 4k capable machine, since both are still dated for this year.
    One thing I want to point out is 21:9, unlike going from a 16:9 1080p to 16:9 2160p, ultra widescreen seems to give you more noticeable difference while gaming. You can down sample, of course you will get black bar in that case, to see how much impact that makes, compare to just a massive bump in resolution.
    I don't think there are any 5120x2160 monitors announced, but you should be able to get 3440x1440 screens soonish, but if you have something like a gtx770 (2GB) a 2560x1080pp will do just fine.
    PSO2 characters:
    Ship 10: Huq (HU:70, RA:70, FO:70, FI:70, GU:70, TE:70, BR:70)
    Ship 02: Rizzla (HU:65, RA:40, FO:18, FI:65, GU:10, TE:00, BR:65)