Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Quote Originally Posted by King_Rappy View Post
    The SEA version's enemy names mess up their b's and p's a lot. It makes me think that the person they had translating them has a ridiculously poor grasp on Japanese.
    Lillipur and the area names seem to be the ones Sega of Japan uses though judging by the soundtrack.
    I wonder if they'll localize the references to past Phantasy Star games, like Fal Claw to Rika's Claw? Even PSU a and the patch failed at doing that. They should get people familiar with the past games to do localization.

Or me. C'mon AsiaSoft, hire me!
    They are references completely by appearance. Why does it matter what the name is? Besides it's Japanese given name in PSO2 is Falclaw. Localization isn't always that flexible.

EDIT : mistake on Rika's Claw.
    Last edited by Zipzo; Apr 12, 2014 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    They are references completely by appearance. Why does it matter what the name is? Besides it's Japanese given name in PSO2 is Falclaw. Just as Rika's claw's Japanese given name was Rika's claw. Localization isn't always that flexible.
    It's ファルクロー in both PSO and PSO2. "Fal Claw". Fal is Rika's original Japanese name. Localization is carrying over the author's intent to another culture. So while transliterating the Japanese name isn't a wrong translation, it doesn't convey the reference to PSIV to your average English speaking player who is familiar with the classics. That's not conveying the intent and therefore not localization. It's like a less extreme version of PSZ's Rab Rappy instead of Love Rappy.
    Last edited by King_Rappy; Apr 12, 2014 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Rappy View Post
    It's ファルクロー in both PSO and PSO2. "Fal Claw". Fal is Rika's original Japanese name. Localization is carrying over the author's intent to another culture. So while transliterating the Japanese name isn't a wrong translation, it doesn't convey the reference to PSIV to your average English speaking player who is familiar with the classics. That's not conveying the intent and therefore not technically localization, just romanization.
    It's a romanization of Katakana. Katakana isn't exactly an interpretive means of translation aside from spelling.

Nobody has the weapon in SEA Asia yet, maybe they called it Rika's Claw? You don't even know yet.

They are references completely by appearance. Why does it matter what the name is? Besides it's Japanese given name in PSO2 is Falclaw. Just as Rika's claw's Japanese given name was Rika's claw. Localization isn't always that flexible.
    Pretty sure Rika's Claw was never used in any Japanese PS game since the weapon itself is based off of the weapons the character Fal used from PSIV, who happened to have her name localized as Rika.

It's always been Falclaw in Japan, PSO's localization just decided to roll with PSIV's localization for the name of the claw while PSU's (and PSO2's patch) stuck with the original Japanese name of it.
    PSO2 - Ian: Level 90/90 Human Bouncer/Hunter

Yeah I made a mistake on the PSO name.

Still though, if you want things to e cute and Easter egg-ey you should ask TE translation patch team to make those references.

It's a romanization of Katakana. Katakana isn't exactly an interpretive means of translation aside from spelling.

Nobody has the weapon in SEA Asia yet, maybe they called it Rika's Claw? You don't even know yet.
    Its precicely because katakana isn't very intuitive that a decent localization team is needed for these things. And yeah, I don't know yet. That's exactly what I was wondering in my original post!

Quote Originally Posted by lnvisible View Post
    Cirnopedia would have to be updated with the newly used names etc;
    Some enemy names in cirnopedia are different than in the english patch as it is now anyway, like Big Varder (cirno) - Big Vardha (patch), or Breu Ringahda - Blu Ringahda.
    PSO2 EN (Ship 1): Johana
    PSO2 JP (Ship 2): Johana, Ezodagrom, Luppi, Lana, Yukari, Blune, Elysia, Elena
    PSU EN/JP: Johana, Blune, Ezodagrom, Luppi/Johana, Lana

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ezodagrom
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom