Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    "Of their own accord" Enforcer MKV's Avatar
    Somewhere, being an old man again, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_S View Post
    PSO1 was pretty much like that though. Once you had experience with the game, challenge came from going as fast as possible. Same with PSO2, except that we're more mobile and thus harder to kill.

The game had a lot of literal instant-kill attacks to hurl at the player, though.
    I honestly haven't played the game myself. Hence my saying 'everything I hear'

I keep hearing about a game that actually threw stuff at the player that required some actual amount of skill or thought to defeat.

Which is nothing like this game. At all. It's sad.
    Enforcer MkX [TE/RA]: Critically injured
    Violet MkV [BR/HU]: On active duty

Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    Mericarol, you cheap fucker...
    Well that one reduced your health to 1, with no way to resist it other than casually jogging out of the way.

Megid just fucking killed you (and made you do the "cherry tap" falling over death to rub it in) if it procced, and enemies had Megid that was much more potent than the player IIRC (or at least the player's dark resist was nowhere near that of other enemies). It was fast, frequent, and way too many enemies in Ultimate had it. You could stack dark resist to negate it yes, but that wasn't something easy to do without some pretty big sacrifice.

PSU took PSO's Megid spam and dialed it up to fucking 20. It also had chain stun from Grants balls.

PSO1 was pretty much like that though. Once you had experience with the game, challenge came from going as fast as possible. Same with PSO2, except that we're more mobile and thus harder to kill.

The game had a lot of literal instant-kill attacks to hurl at the player, though.

Shall we talk about megid spam yet?

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

Open quick menu, run away, curse at the screen

PSO1 had a lot of cheap deaths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    We threw our eyes away a long time ago.
    #coatl4173 on discord if you wanna squad up.

Well that one reduced your health to 1, with no way to resist it other than casually jogging out of the way.

Megid just fucking killed you (and made you do the "cherry tap" falling over death to rub it in) if it procced, and enemies had Megid that was much more potent than the player IIRC (or at least the player's dark resist was nowhere near that of other enemies). It was fast, frequent, and way too many enemies in Ultimate had it. You could stack dark resist to negate it yes, but that wasn't something easy to do without some pretty big sacrifice.

PSU took PSO's Megid spam and dialed it up to fucking 20. It also had chain stun from Grants balls.
    No, in ULT, the slingshot that all of the Meri's shot (Mericarol, Merikle, etc.) all did infinite damage, i.e. no matter your HP it went straight to zero. They had a different attack that could bring you to 1 HP, but the slingshot in ULT was always 100% KO if it hit you.

Edit: To add to the list of dumb insta-deaths, groups of 4 Ill Gills in PW4 with no casts in your party. Good luck

Edit2: Megid in PSU was pathetic. Vijeri/Resist. Done.
    Last edited by milranduil; Apr 14, 2014 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adios View Post
    No, in ULT, the slingshot that all of the Meri's shot (Mericarol, Merikle, etc.) all did infinite damage, i.e. no matter your HP it went straight to zero. They had a different attack that could bring you to 1 HP, but the slingshot in ULT was always 100% KO if it hit you.

Edit: To add to the list of dumb insta-deaths, groups of 4 Ill Gills in PW4 with no casts in your party. Good luck
    Huh, I don't remember that attack. I just remember the "reduce to 1 HP" one.

And I forgot about the Ill Gills, yeah. Fucking Megid scythe thing with a status attack that prevented movement. Seriously, someone must have shit in SEGA's Cheerios while they were designing the Towers.

PSO1 is much more focused on positioning, mostly because of the game's much stiffer and more committal feel to attacking forcing you to pick your attacks very carefully. PSO1's difficulty tends to come from either lack of preparation for spawns or a mistake in positioning/timing/weapon choice during more dangerous spawns.

Quote Originally Posted by infiniteeverlasting View Post
    OR if you're good enough, you can just never get hit and know how to slaughter mobs/bosses within seconds. I still find it more practical to use hyper offense as the best defensive, killing enemies the moment they spawn feels so much rewarding after all :3
    oh, I'm so hipster for killing enemies Before they even spawn at all lol. (Ra/Hu, ClusterFuck Bullet)

much hipster

@ OP

Play as you want, nobody should stop you at what you're doing.

Te/Hu exists, Te/Fi exists, Ra/Te exists, it's just like playing the game on hard mode cause you need appropriate stuff to be viable.

Bravers is just plain easy mode cause you don't need much equipment though. (I'm not complaining, they're being not bad because of it.)

Gunners pretty much ROFL stuffs too.

PSO1 was at least slightly closer to the "Monster Hunter" format where the main element of the difficulty sort of came from your characters lack of mobility.

That's sort of what made PSO combat inherently challenging (before you out-leveled everything and had super epic gear). Controlling your character was tedious in sort of a..."fun"-ish way. Hard to explain. Mastering it was part of the skill curve.

Knock downs were just as retarded in PSO2 (5 second invulnerability until you're back on your feet), but damage was some what more stream lined and moderate in a way that you could be inflicted with bits of damage over time that would put pressure on you to perform better (except in the case of megid and Falz freezy shit with freeze resists).

A lot of the time I attribute how easy PSO2 is at least a little bit to the fact that our characters have so many combat options available. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing of course, the enemies we're fighting aren't scaling appropriately to that increased repertoire from game to game.
    Last edited by Zipzo; Apr 14, 2014 at 06:32 AM.