Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Gen 3 never quite clicked for me. "Wally" seemed to epitomize the the series' general shift away from Red and Blue's themes of genetic experimentation and the the dubious moral integrity of basically all the adults in the world—instead of there being a proper rival, Gen 3 gave you a pair of them that both sucked. The unchosen player character was friendly and low-stakes compared to Gary Oak and the asshole from Gold and Silver, and Wally was just a sickly little wuss that you had to babysit and coddle and who never seemed to have a chance in hell of ever winning any battles at all, especially against you. All the magic seemed to have left the Pokemon world. Hoenn was a boring waterlogged mess, nighttime was mysteriously missing, the still-iconic-in-2014 Team Rocket was written out in favor of some generic new bad guys that were pretty much just Team Rocket with stupider names, all that shitty trumpet music had me usually playing with the sound completely off, and G/S's surprise revisitation of Kanto at the end of the game had me expecting a Johto vaca at the end of Hoenn—which never happened. It was the first time a Pokemon game surprised me in a bad way, and unfortunately, despite the good things Gen 3 also introduced, the disappointment is what I remember most.

It's not like $40 is too much to spend on a video game, but I don't think I'd be dying to play Ruby and Sapphire again, even if I hadn't sold my 3DS. I kind of wish Pokemon could either retire or successfully reboot. These days the series is starting to feel like a Genesis console with both the CD and 32X addons, four or five copies of Sonic & Knuckles stacked up, a Game Genie on top of that, and finally Sonic 3 swaying in the breeze at the very top.

Kat Bailey wrote a fun article speculating what Game Freak might add to the remakes:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/five...pphire-remakes

I agree that Secret Bases could be pretty bonkers if tied into Street Pass.

Gen III is my favourite gen of all. I'm so happy this is finally happening...!

Personally, I feel Diamond and Pearl were the weakest of the entries but then I remember things. I liked some of the areas and music in the game. So in the end it wasn't even bad.

I do oddly want to see a remake of Hey You Pikachu and Pokemon Snap.

I would love more Pokemon Snap. The first game is just so completely weird and charming and did a lot to make the Pokemon world feel a little more like a living, breathing ecosystem.

Closest we got to Hey You Pikachu was Pokémon Channel, and that didn't sell so well...

Hit the beat, you beat! Vintasticvin's Avatar

So are the Hoenn Confirmed comments going to die out? And hoenn was awesome I dunno what some of y'all be drinking

SINNOH CONFIRMED is the new thing now. As much as I love Gen III, I hope that this is the last re-make the do for awhile. I re-make of Gen IV on the 3DS would be asinine, since you can still play it on a brand new 3DS.

But, with the shutdown of the DS/Wii Nintendo WiFi Connection service in a few days... it might actually be a thing sometime in the future. Personally, I'd almost rather have eShop versions.

The problem with eShop versions of the games is that to the best of my knowledge they wouldn't have link-cable functionality. A Pokemon game without trading or peer-to-peer battling is kind of missing the point.

Still, if they released the Pokemon games on the eShop I'd still probably guy them just for the hell of it even without the ability to trade and battle. I never did that all that much anyway (which mean, yes, I was kind of missing the point.)

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZER0 DX View Post
    Never cared for Hoenn. Maybe I'll like it better as a 3D world but originally the region was too boring with way too much water, and I always hated water routes in Pokemon games. It also suffered from the terrible GBA trumpets for the music, removed the day & night system GSC introduced, it only had a few Pokemon I liked, rival was terrible (both of them), criminal team's plot was dumb, nothing was memorable about it at all, etc.
    Hoenn is around the middle interms of favorite to least favorite but pretty much this.

Except I don't mind the watery setting. But I don't think I'll care for trumpet spam even with better sound quality. Mostly definitely mad that this gen took out day/night though. And I've definitely played all three gen3 games to death because that's when I got the best chance to enjoy the series. (since I kinda sucked at reading in gen1 and in gen2 my house got robbed and never got another pokemon game till gen3.)

Anyhow playing with the acro bike, diving, adding day/night cycle to this pretty region which we're assuming will now be in fully 3D and being able to make a gen3ish team to bring into the battle field should spice things up enough for another replay. I'm a little sick of hearing about gen1 and gen2 all the time anyway... At least till I'll have to mute those trumpets.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.