Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    I've been reading "nostalgia" this and "nostalgia" that as an attack on anyone that someone disagrees with since PSU came out and people used it to attack anyone who disliked anything about it - beasts, lack of content, different environmental designs, a desire for unique weapons, anything at all. This is generally only used by people who weren't around earlier in a series, so resent perceived seniority whether the person thinks they have it or not. They feel that new is automatically better, and that the series is "good enough" with what's been taken out no matter how many people liked it, or better due to additions other people may not have wanted and don't care for.

It's a pretty tired, old, and fallacious way of throwing weight around frequently used by insecure manchildren who simply cannot say "You have a different opinion and I am okay with that," so I like to squash it whenever possible. I'm not saying you're like that, I just throw weight back at the argument. It did look a little like an overreaction.
    I do think there is a certain amount of validity to the 'nostalgia glasses' argument, though. I hear a lot of people my age throw around ideas like: "Oh, the new Pokemon designs are absolutely terrible! They were so much more original when we were kids!" I just like to point out that there was terrible design then, and there's terrible design now.

I think our fond childhood memories do tend to alter our perception of things we used to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by DJcooltrainer View Post
    I do think there is a certain amount of validity to the 'nostalgia glasses' argument, though. I hear a lot of people my age throw around ideas like: "Oh, the new Pokemon designs are absolutely terrible! They were so much more original when we were kids!" I just like to point out that there was terrible design then, and there's terrible design now.

I think our fond childhood memories do tend to alter our perception of things we used to enjoy.
    For some, yes, but all it takes is a mild amount of effort to reevaluate things from a more objective standpoint. All the moreso if you never formed opinions regarding something in the first place.

Some people liking things from their childhood doesn't automatically mean we all like everything about what we did in our childhood. Nobody's nostalgic about getting the belt, for instance. Some aren't nostalgic about games they played. Something happening in our youth doesn't automatically mean we saw it from an inferior perspective. If some people were frustrated by something in a game in their youth, they don't automatically forget it just because it was in their youth. Some even remember things exactly as they were, however rare that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    I wanted to see how many posts it would take. Three is a lot more than I figured. Actually, I figured Outrider would show up within 10 minutes to do his tired old contrarian shtick.
    I'm flattered you can't stop thinking of me, but alas, I don't really have any strong feelings about Generation III.

Well, except that awful water route in the southeast of the continent. That place was the worst.

I didn't mind gen 3 and I know its weird but I really enjoyed berry blending. that said I still think gold and silver where the best as they had the most content to me that was enjoyable. im still kinda exited for this remake as long as they don't change up too much

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. I'm still not sure anything has topped that feeling when you beat the Elite Four in Gold/Silver and then find out that the entire continent from the first game was waiting for you.

All I want is the return of contests.

Best alternative battles ever.
    Coming Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    Yeah, I think I know what you mean. I'm still not sure anything has topped that feeling when you beat the Elite Four in Gold/Silver and then find out that the entire continent from the first game was waiting for you.
    exactly

I think that's about 35% of why GS were my favorite games. Not only is there an entire extra map, but you actually get to see what's happened there, without even being told this would happen. I had no idea, it was awesome.

Other major factors included the addition of two pretty cool new, game-changing types and better move selections for a few older types (bug types are worthwhile! it's like THREE new types are in the game!).

Then, lastly, the day/night cycle completely revolutionized the series for me, and was revolutionary for the platform it was on. Playing in the morning had incentives. Same with playing at night. I started looking forward to getting up for school, since it meant catching stuff I otherwise couldn't while I ate breakfast. No lies, I'm pretty nostalgic about a clock.

The bar was set kind of high for gen 3 after that, and it felt like more of the same, lots more of the same. I can't say that's a bad thing, Pokemon's strength has always been that it's more of the same, but the exact ways it went about being more of the same didn't really grab me. Gen 5 & 6 went about being more of the same in ways that did grab me, it reduced clutter and had designs I liked more. I guess that's all, really.

Which is why I'm torn on these games. They might sand down the edges I disliked in gen 3, but it might not since those were mechanics embedded fairly deep into the game.

I totally agree with this. A lot of people don't actually take the time to compare and analyze the Pokemon designs from the earlier gens to the newer gens. Both have their fair share of ridiculous/uncreative designs and good designs.

Perhaps it is due to pessimistic way of thinking, that some may take the worst of it, and apply that to being the majority, rather than seeing the good things and applying that.

I wouldn't judge a whole generation of Pokemon on a few badly designed ones, because there have always been good designs in every generation, it's just a matter of looking through them and finding the ones you like. I've found several in every gen that I found myself adding to my list of universal favorites.

Honestly, of all the original 150 or 151 Pokemon, I think Jigglypuff is probably my only favorite of a top 5 list.
    Last edited by Vetur; May 9, 2014 at 07:19 PM.
    Ship 9 - Kouki Elska

I definitely agree with this. Every time someone says Gen 1 had the best designs I just direct them to the grimer and koffing evolution lines. Grimer is literally just a pile of toxic waste and wtf even is koffing. There was stupid pokemon designs even back then, but that doesn't mean they are all bad.