Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Crow View Post
    well you can if you hit auto run, or you're saying you use your index finger to control left stick whilst using thumbs on dpad? ionno, I feel like keeping thumbs on sticks is more accurate, and the xbox has a notoriously sucky dpad, on ps3 layout you curl your index to the dpad, which hurts like hell until you get used to it. I got used to it on Monster Hunter games, on the PSP and PS2 so it feels natural, at least to me.

and yeah, if you like Xbox triggers then Dualshock4 is for you, personally I tried a DS4 in store and compared it to my ps3, I absolutely hate the ergonomic design, I prefer the hand strain from using a ps3 controller than using such ionno what's the word, just felt so small, I like my oversized sticks and triggers, matter of preference I guess but any form of Xbox controller I hate, I really hate having sticks above dpad and it feels so bloated.

I guess I shouldn't enforce my opinion, but I do feel strongly about it, I can't see people being able to use the dpad as well as you can on a ps3 *shrugs*
    The newer variant of the Xbox 360 controllers actually has a pretty decent dpad, but they're a bit more expensive. I really like the Xbox One controller too, but Microsoft is just dragging its heels with that ridiculously and the unofficial driver has issues.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

I used to use an Xbox360 controller, you do know that Xinput puts your analog triggers on the same axis? Meaning if you use both trigger at the same time you will ZERO the input, that's game breaking.
    Hahahaha no. I've never had a problem with this, like ever. PS3 controllers are awkward as fuck, and I don't like you for suggesting them. He's got a 360 controller, help with that controller or don't shitpost.

As for OP's problem, I believe it's been solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Vordex View Post
    Hahahaha no. I've never had a problem with this, like ever. PS3 controllers are awkward as fuck, and I don't like you for suggesting them. He's got a 360 controller, help with that controller or don't shitpost.

As for OP's problem, I believe it's been solved.
    You can't laugh off a driver design flaw, it's how Xinput works, if you go to controller calibration you can see when pressing both triggers at the same time you get no Z axis input, since they're on the same axis, they cancel each other out.

Xbox One controller is also screwed until they update Xinput to separate the triggers, and put them on two separate axis. Even then the better option remains DS4, and like I said, there is no way to use the DPAD on Xbox layout at the same time as the left stick unless you use both hands or control the stick with your index finger by curling it which I don't believe anyone would be able to do well.

Why introduce yourself to problems when the likes of better controller design exists and isn't plagued with driver flaws since they're made by consumer third parties, which understand the players.

p.s. saying "shit post", you're just trying to be insulting with your huge xbox bias. doesn't make you sound cool, just makes you sound like an ignorant fanboy. Xbox controllers are just bloated and overrated. at least back up what you're saying. calling it "awkward" is just opinion, I find Xbox controllers awkward. And DS3 is a solid build, does the job. DS4 is designed for ergonomics so it's supposedly comfortable (though I prefer the solid feel of DS3 even if it hurts my hand after a while). But please stick to your xbox controller, kthx.
    Last edited by Silver Crow; May 16, 2014 at 03:47 PM.

You can't laugh off a driver design flaw, it's how Xinput works, if you go to controller calibration you can see when pressing both triggers at the same time you get no Z axis input, since they're on the same axis, they cancel each other out.

Xbox One controller is also screwed until they update Xinput to separate the triggers, and put then on two separate axis. Even then the better option remains DS4, and like I said, there is no way to use the DPAD on Xbox layout at the same time as the left stick unless you use both hands or control the stick with your index finger by curling it which I don't believe anyone would be able to do well.

Why introduce yourself to problems when the likes of better controller design exists and isn't plagued with driver flaws since they're made by consumer third parties, which understand the players.
    Uh, I like the Xbox controller design better personally thank you. So you can shove off right off for telling me another controller design is objectively better.

Now lets examine these issues you brought up in reference to pso2. By default, dodging movements are linked to right trigger and subpallete selection usage is linked to left trigger. No one in their right mind is going to be using both of those at the same time. That at the very least was pretty decently thought out as far as the control scheme goes.

The dpad thing is actually funny because many games treat it similarly in that most games only require simple, short inputs from the player on it. This game doesn't really deviate from that. And in this game, you really only need to touch the dpad for very quick management of your weapons or whatever is on your subpalette. This means that its entirely appropriate to just hold a direction with your index finger or make simple movements if needed since you shouldn't be dealing with that for very long.

What's more of a problem is how controller weapon switching is handled inherently which is unrelated to controllers in general and more to how that ingame system was designed. If you are taking a lot of time switching weapons or switching subpallete icons, I think you've got more of a personal issue. Not to mention that with the default layout you have to deal with that finger position anyways if you want to TPS aim properly. That's also an inherent problem with how the ingame controls were designed, but it can be worked around.

So in short, I'm sorry if you don't like the layout as much as you find yourself sucking with it when I can make use of it just fine. In the end, its all inferior to mouse/keyboard play to begin with so I find it somewhat stupid to argue this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowth117 View Post
    Uh, I like the Xbox controller design better personally thank you. So you can shove off right off for telling me another controller design is objectively better.

Now lets examine these issues you brought up in reference to pso2. By default, dodging movements are linked to right trigger and subpallete selection usage is linked to left trigger. No one in their right mind is going to be using both of those at the same time. That at the very least was pretty decently thought out as far as the control scheme goes.

The dpad thing is actually funny because many games treat it similarly in that most games only require simple, short inputs from the player on it. This game doesn't really deviate from that. And in this game, you really only need to touch the dpad for very quick management of your weapons or whatever is on your subpalette. This means that its entirely appropriate to just hold a direction with your index finger or make simple movements if needed since you shouldn't be dealing with that for very long.

What's more of a problem is how controller weapon switching is handled inherently which is unrelated to controllers in general and more to how that ingame system was designed. If you are taking a lot of time switching weapons or switching subpallete icons, I think you've got more of a personal issue. Not to mention that with the default layout you have to deal with that finger position anyways if you want to TPS aim properly. That's also an inherent problem with how the ingame controls were designed, but it can be worked around.

So in short, I'm sorry if you don't like the layout as much as you find yourself sucking with it when I can make use of it just fine. In the end, its all inferior to mouse/keyboard play to begin with so I find it somewhat stupid to argue this at all.
    Okay so you're saying the problems I stated aren't a big deal to you, which is fine, but why have problems at all? I don't get it, but you guys really love your xbox controller... if it doesn't bother you then okay, but I said better design because of the ability to use d-pad at the same time (with a bit of practice). If that's not important to you then ok, but to me pausing for a second to scroll to a tech is less efficient than moving about, you could like you said, use the index finger to move the stick around, but with a DS3 you could do that a lot more accurately since your thumb remains on it at all times. I'm not a big fan of inefficiency, constantly moving my hand around just because I didn't want to spend the time to learn a layout which in the long run would improve my play style. I'm sure you can get by with an Xbox controller and avoid putting conflicting keys on the trigger, but again, with a DS3 you don't have to work around flaws.

So to those who already use Xbox controllers, stick with them if you're happy *shrugs* can't convince you.

p.s. I like "shove right off" ima use that o.o
    Last edited by Silver Crow; May 16, 2014 at 04:25 PM.

I've been having this issue for a good while now, with two different controllers.

a Saitek that I used with PSU, then at the recommendation of a friend who uses the model for his PSO2, an Afterglow X-box 360 controller. I have tried everything to solve this issue, replacing the controller, uninstalling & re-installing PSO2 multiple times, even going so far as re-installing Windows.

Until mentioned by Shadowth117, I never did think to check the "Set up your USB game controllers" option. When I did, this is what I saw:

Does this mean PSO2 is seeing "Razer Blade" as the #1 controller, and ignoring the Afterglow?

Any idea how to swap the two so PSO2'll see the Afterglow as the #1 controller?

I love how every thread Silver Crow posts in immediately melts into, well... this.

Like seriously. There's arguing, and then there's this.
    FiliaMortis * SARA-013 * Kiyoko * Akane * Vikky * Mei * Alicia * Ophelia

Mattykins - Ship 02

He's right about the triggers, but the rest is...I don't even know.

The Xbox 360 controller is designed such that the triggers share one axis. What does this mean? Your thumbstick uses two axes - one for vertical movement, one for horizontal movement. Up/right is positive, down/left is negative, the center is neutral - just like a graph. That much is obvious, what isn't obvious is that the triggers do this too but with just one axis.

Unlike thumbsticks, triggers only go one way. When you don't press them they're neutral, and the left trigger is negative while the right graph is positive like if you'd moved the thumbstick to one side or the other. The problem? When you hold them both down at the same levels the left one subtracts and the right one adds, leaving them at 0. 0, aka neutral, you know, like you aren't even pressing them.

This is only in directinput. Xinput isn't flawed, this was intentional. They were trying to force game developers into using a more modern standard. This is why triggers wonk out in older games, but work flawlessly in newer games - older games don't use the newer standard.

Joy2Key can't detect xinput. Xpadder can. I use both. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattykins View Post
    I love how every thread Silver Crow posts in immediately melts into, well... this.

Like seriously. There's arguing, and then there's this.
    pretty much, if someone tells me the reason why I'll try to change it, I can't help it, I'm a trouble maker it seems o.o I do say a lot of wrong things at times, and people show me why it's wrong, but before that it's a personal ego battle

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    He's right about the triggers, but the rest is...I don't even know.

The Xbox 360 controller is designed such that the triggers share one axis. What does this mean? Your thumbstick uses two axes - one for vertical movement, one for horizontal movement. Up/right is positive, down/left is negative, the center is neutral - just like a graph. That much is obvious, what isn't obvious is that the triggers do this too but with just one axis.

Unlike thumbsticks, triggers only go one way. When you don't press them they're neutral, and the left trigger is negative while the right graph is positive like if you'd moved the thumbstick to one side or the other. The problem? When you hold them both down at the same levels the left one subtracts and the right one adds, leaving them at 0. 0, aka neutral, you know, like you aren't even pressing them.

This is only in directinput. Xinput isn't flawed, this was intentional. They were trying to force game developers into using a more modern standard. This is why triggers wonk out in older games, but work flawlessly in newer games - older games don't use the newer standard.

Joy2Key can't detect xinput. Xpadder can. I use both. Problem solved.
    oh it's direct input? so xinput is fine then... I didn't know, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AIDA View Post
    I can use my index finger to control the left stick while using my thumbs on the dpad just fine.
    so you're constantly moving your thumb to dpad and left stick? see? that's my point, with a ds3 or ds4 layout you can keep your thumbs on the sticks. but if you're happy enough doing that then okay

Quote Originally Posted by AIDA View Post
    I can use my index finger to control the left stick while using my thumbs on the dpad just fine.
    Yay!! a fellow claw user!!! you do the same for the right side too, right? using index for the skittle buttons and middle finger for trigger/bumper? +^_^+