Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by King_Rappy View Post
    PSZ called Love Rappies Rab Rappies but you don't see the patch calling them that.
    That's because Rab is a terrible, terrible mangling of Engrish "Love"
    A lot of "uh" sounds in English that are normally spelled with an O are spelled with the A sound in Japanese (L-uhve) so they use ラ (Ra, R and L are interchangable)

Then for the "v" part, they simply use ヴ (vu), however V and B are commonly interchangeable in written Japanese too.
    So given the possibility that the translators were merely given a textdump of Japanese to translate without any context to go by, it's very possible they could mangle "Love Rappy" into "Rab Rappy" if they have no familiarity with the series.

Though I'm still mystified by the Al/Ar Rappy's naming convention. Maybe they were trying to go for "Alure Rappy"?

Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    That's because Rab is a terrible, terrible mangling of Engrish "Love"
    A lot of "uh" sounds in English that are normally spelled with an O are spelled with the A sound in Japanese (L-uhve) so they use ラ (Ra, R and L are interchangable)

Then for the "v" part, they simply use ヴ (vu), however V and B are commonly interchangeable in written Japanese too.
    So given the possibility that the translators were merely given a textdump of Japanese to translate without any context to go by, it's very possible they could mangle "Love Rappy" into "Rab Rappy" if they have no familiarity with the series.

Though I'm still mystified by the Al/Ar Rappy's naming convention. Maybe they were trying to go for "Alure Rappy"?
    I know Japanese, but thanks anyway. You're exactly right. I've actually spoken to the translator, Nob, and he had no context or experience with the PS franchise before Zero and he decided to make it Rab since he didn't make the connection.
    I know why it's a bad translation, my point was just that if the patch-translator's reason for keeping the name was just because it was the same in PSU, it's inconsistent.

Oh, and I think the name Al Rappy comes from Algol the same way Rag Rappy was from Ragol.