Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Ok.

SO.

Essentially.

It's nothing that we don't know, or at least, we're not aware of in a general sense. This is more of a detailed...explanation? Conversation? Reason? Conjecture? Whatever; in regards to the idea of Backend Provider being the cause of these issues.

Nothing was officially confirmed per-say, but I explained the situation of what's going on right now. I explained that I did tracerts and pings, and used tunneling and VPN programs. I explained my results and the results that other people among the forum got.

And the response was this.

More than likely, the connections to the servers are being blacklisted automatically by companies/services of whom are tasked with monitoring the status of servers around the world.

The way it works is that the backend providers all subscribe to services that monitor server status (think the adblock subscription list when you first install the addon). The services will monitor shit. When a server is deemed a threat/problem either by DDOS, Infection, Spam issues, Hacking, etc, then the service will blacklist the server and update it's list of which the backend providers will automatically block connections to that server.

According to highest level tech support of Cox (which apparently is a Level 2 Backend provider itself and provides a lot of infrastructure itself), this is most likely what happened. The DDOS got Sega's servers blacklisted by the server-monitoring service and as such, the backend providers who subscribe to this service automatically blocked connections. ISPs who rely on the backend providers are inherently affected by this.

I asked if Sega can request for these blocks to happen and I didn't get a clear answer, but I'm lead to believe that he's implying that it all happened automatically. Sega, however, can manually get itself de-listed early if it takes the initiative.

However, if Sega doesn't do such a thing, the blacklist will remain until the server-monitoring service discerns that Sega's servers are no longer an issue, meaning, the automated service has to say that, "Okay. Looks like the coast is clear. Kgo."

How long that will take, Cox couldn't say because the process is automated. But if Sega did do their job, then over the course of time we should see ourselves able to play once again as the service will stop blacklisting Sega's servers and that would be reflected by our ISPs.

(This also leads me to believe that Verizon is not legit, and is shit because it's subscribed to a blacklisting service that sucks at detection. That or is actually IS legit, and it updated its info mad fast and shit. I personally believe the prior over the latter.)

tl;dr - Cox says this is more than likely a backend provider issue in the sense that the server-monitoring service has automatically blacklisted Sega's servers due to DDOS nonsense and that everything will go back to normal whenever the service detects that the DDOS nonsense is no longer a thing. When that is, however, cannot be determined at this time. Sega can get it fixed early if they so please, but as far as the conversation went, it was implied that Sega did not / cannot actually trigger the blacklist themselves.

Take this as you will guys.

Me?

I'm like now 99% sure its not an IP block and we're just victims of automation and SegaC being SegaC.

EDIT: Cox did mention using a website like Safehaus.org in order to find out if the servers are indeed blacklisted, but that's not something us mere mortals can access freely, unfortunately. So I have nothing concrete to offer outside of "he-said she-said" with the highest level tech support at Cox.
    Last edited by GHNeko; Jul 1, 2014 at 02:22 PM.

Ah, sweet vindication.

Neko you just got my hopes up again, thank you! :3

Nice to hear this! Thanks for making the effort and contacting your ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by Sychosis View Post
    Ah, sweet vindication.

yo.

son.

home slice.

my nigga.

TELL ME ABOUT IT.

I most deff was having a sensible_chuckle.gif after I finished the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinji Kazuya View Post
    Neko you just got my hopes up again, thank you! :3
    No problem. Again, there is nothing official or concrete. It's still conjecture. So don't get them up too high. :V

Quote Originally Posted by nanamin View Post
    Nice to hear this! Thanks for making the effort and contacting your ISP.
    i luv muh pso2 brah. dont even sweat it.

Let me point out the one thing that makes no sense at all about the COX guys story:

PSO2.jp was reachable until the last maintenance. From that very moment most of us could not access it. And the game server aswell. So if this was automated, this should not happen for every provider at the same time and it would be a very big coincident that it happens exactly after the maintenence.
    It could really be that sega requested the block themself. In this case it might not go away until sega gets active again. But this is a bit unlikely. I think they will work on this until all japanese players have no more problems and then just stop. Because from this point on it is not worth their time and money to investigate anymore. If this could really happen and what this means is still to be seen. But i dont believe this was an automated thing.

BO is useless. RIP PUGs. btw-Niji's Avatar

Yep, as soon as the game servers came back online, I could not connect to pso2.jp

I remember checking pso2.jp ~30 mins before that for the status report and the page loaded fine.

Strange, huh?
    #1 PSOW Poster 2014 (Voted by Shiyo and infiniteeverlasting)

Quote Originally Posted by pkemr4 View Post
    your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failurelol View Post
    You wanna continue feel free to message me in game anytime you want. Failurelol/Failure/12512110. Ill be more than happy to make you cry and commit suicide you worthless keyboard warrior monitor tan weeabo LOOOL

Quote Originally Posted by ZooL View Post
    Let me point out the one thing that makes no sense at all about the COX guys story:

PSO2.jp was reachable until the last maintenance. From that very moment most of us could not access it. And the game server aswell. So if this was automated, this should not happen for every provider at the same time and it would be a very big coincident that it happens exactly after the maintenence.
    It could really be that sega requested the block themself. In this case it might not go away until sega gets active again. But this is a bit unlikely. I think they will work on this until all japanese players have no more problems and then just stop. Because from this point on it is not worth their time and money to investigate anymore. If this could really happen and what this means is still to be seen. But i dont believe this was an automated thing.
    Oh come on, even if that's the case, you don't have to poop the party. Let us dream for crying out loud. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by ZooL View Post

Was PSO2.jp reachable for just you? Or for everyone? Because it wasnt and still isnt reachable for me. Both before the game servers came online, and afrod.

I'm sure you're aware that when it comes to the internet, distance matters.

Also, some short period of time before the DDOS, was there a thread about how the TPP wire was being worked on or some shit, which was causing a lot of issues (including lag and DC issues) for pretty much a lot of people, including most people who reside in the Americas?

I understand the internet is blazing fast, but not everything reaches the same conclusion and destination at the same time.

Also there is not just ONE service monitoring service. There are multiple services that are automated, so the results of one can occur much faster/slower than the others.

The fact that some Verizon FIOS connections arent really affected can be a testament to this notion of they have a subscription to a very good (or bad) server-monitoring service.

Not to say that you're incorrect or anything because we're working off assumptions and conjecture (boy I am using that word a lot today), but I do challenge your post with this one.

Vulcan Taint Pincher moorebounce's Avatar

I couldn't get on after they shut the servers down and it didn't have anything to do with any maintenance. It might have gotten blacklisted which would explain why so many providers got hit all at once. Not many companies handle stuff like that so it's possible. That's why PZ is working without being on the whole time you play. It just needs to get around the blacklisted services and Sega is making sure all the Japanese region is taken care of ATM.

I hope this puts a fire up Sega's ass to release the NA/EU version.
    PSO2 JP Ship 2 Jazmin - HUcaseal - Team: Paranoia-Gaming
    PSO2 NA Ship 3 Orro Munroe HUcaseal - Team: Dark Alliance