Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Quote Originally Posted by Agitated_AT View Post
    I remember that. I also expected many would lose interest sooner or later despite all the arguing. Game is shallow. And the thing that saddens me the most is that it's clear that it's not because they cant make a good game, because pso2 is full of great things, it's the direction which ruins it. It's the core decisions they made which are holding it back. Everything whats in pso2 could potentially be a great game, but they decide not to. Which i've always said is pso2 in a nutshell. wasted potential

I find that this has become the case with many games from japan lately. Safe for a few exceptions like platinum games and nintendo. Also capcom's monster hunter i guess. That game almost has too much depth which is probably why many who come from pso dismiss it initially. I didn't "get" monster hunter either until I started giving it more than a couple of hours. It seems many of the producers and directors don't get that little things in gamedesign matter a lot. Pso1 while dated as fuck did it a lot better from that perspective
    The thing with PSO1 is...if you look at v1, then compare it to blue burst...they're significantly different games.

Between the heinous droprates and the free online play, it seems like a person was meant to play through PSO1 v1 just a few times before moving on. They had to have known the costs of running a server, so adding a fee for v2 feels like rectifying a wrong prediction. Your experience was seemingly meant to be unique in that you MIGHT find one, MAYBE two rare items to boost your run, and your run wouldn't be like anyone else's. Players kept playing it though, and sought to gather more than just a couple of those rare items. Players charted out what drops rare, at what rates, and posted this information online. After a while planning and plotting where to find items was the game you were playing, but that didn't seem to be the game Sega intended to design.

So they built on that, but I never felt like that was their original intent. If it was there would be clues pointing to where to find way more items in the game itself, so everyone would know there were goodies to be found if you just looked long enough.

Which, I think, is the mistake PS makes again and again...but Monster Hunter doesn't. Monster Hunter recognizes that this is what players want. If you find a couple of the right items you're told what else you need to build an armor part or weapon. This is really important, because you don't have to actually find a rare item to know it exists and if you even want it. Virtually everything tells you what it comes from in the name (See: Duram Sacrum, Brach Carapace, Rathalos Wing, etc.). Some things are rarer than others and it doesn't tell you what's rare and what isn't, obviously, but you can figure that out on your own after a couple runs.

So PSO/U and MH both have very similar games that players play in the long term - the metagame. The key difference is PSO/U still doesn't acknowledge that within the game. You have to go online and find third party resources for almost everything. It feels like the metagame is an accident, not an intended design. In MH it's very much intended.
    Last edited by gigawuts; Jul 6, 2014 at 02:39 PM.

Gave up on Pso2 a while ago due to f2p hate but the ddos is just making worse. Went and got psp2i and im loving it. Between that and wow(I know dont hate) I have pretty much no intrest in pso2. I really do hope they fix it in the future. however. Jp Psu was getting pretty cool with the limit break and what not. Aslo about have had HMFU for forever but no internet mode made me have to solo most of time. Loved the hell out of that game.

Problem with Monster Hunter is, that I would play, it's just so many games are ad hoc and I can never get XLink Kai to work.

I am not really interested in MMOs. I feel like too many people are trying to copy WoW. I may look into this Black Desert game though. I decided to get the entire Assassin's Creed franchise from the steam summer sales, after playing AC 4 I feel like I have missed out on a great franchise. I just got Strider on PS4, and I am waiting for a couple other games on PS4. I may buy a Wii U later this year. The Retron 5 also came out this year, so when they are back in stock I am gonna get on that. There are more games out there than I even know what to do with.

Well, I'm currently waiting for the PSO2 servers to magically repair themselves like a responsible little activist, so I sh'pose I'll go back to playing Dark Souls 2 and Gods Eater Burst. Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment comes out relatively soon, too!

Really having Waifu Simulator Withdrawal right now..
    Credit goes to MissMalice

Quote Originally Posted by lunarsoul View Post
    Really having Waifu Simulator Withdrawal right now..
    Use the character creator to create infinite waifus and your problem is solved.
    PLACEHOLDER SIGNATURE - music included ♪

Quote Originally Posted by Maenara View Post
    I am literally not dealing with this.