Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

If the credits list him as Chroto, then I am going to call him Chroto. It's the most official romanization of him that we have as far as I am concerned. As a German, I would have reason to bicker about all the names and words Japanese games, manga and anime take from our language just to typo them at best most of the time, but in the end that is just the spelling that they go for, wrong or not. The attitude to say that they write their own characters' names wrong just because the romanization does not match up with their reference is a bit too much in my opinion, and will leave most of you sorely disappointed if that is the standard you set yourself for any form of the Japanese media.
    Last edited by Mysterious-G; Jul 20, 2014 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    Official doesn't necessarily mean correct.
    Guys, listen... guys, come here for a sec and listen to what I'm about to say.

If you have a friend named "Bryan" and their birth certificate officially states them to be "Bryan", then please kindly tell them that their name is wrong because the correct spelling of their name is "Brian". Thank you.

There's no such thing as a name variant in this world. Tell "Roberto" to use "Robert" and "Jeanne" to use "Joan" instead since those names are just translation errors, because they're from countries who don't use english as their primary language.

Also, if you find a woman named "Mary" who have a child named "Jess", then kindly tell them to correct the baby's name because it is obviously a reference to "Jesus". Every name in this world must have a reference, there's no such thing as an original name anyway.

Peace to everyone~

Quote Originally Posted by Cirnopoly View Post
    Guys, listen... guys, come here for a sec and listen to what I'm about to say.

If you have a friend named "Bryan" and their birth certificate officially states them to be "Bryan", then please kindly tell them that their name is wrong because the correct spelling of their name is "Brian". Thank you.

There's no such thing as a name variant in this world. Tell "Roberto" to use "Robert" and "Jeanne" to use "Joan" instead since those names are just translation errors, because they're from countries who don't use english as their primary language.

Also, if you find a woman named "Mary" who have a child named "Jess", then kindly tell them to correct the baby's name because it is obviously a reference to "Jesus". Every name in this world must have a reference, there's no such thing as an original name anyway.

Peace to everyone~
    That's a whole other issue. I'm not telling people not to call him Croto, or even saying Croto isn't the official spelling. I'm saying it's possibly accidentally wrong within the context. I: If you want to use real life examples it would be like someone wanting to name their kid Denzel but writing Densel instead. Or wanting to name your kid Hugh directly after someone but spelling it Huw. Like... oops, it's no big deal, but it was still unintentional.

I clearly pointed out that we can't actually know either way unless the creators come out and say it's one way or another and why anyway.

EDIT: I'd also like to clarify that I don't think it's a bad thing or anything. I just think it's what's happening based on the context and what's going on. Again, if you wanna use real life examples: If a guy is named Noah and he has 3 sons named Shem, Japheth, and Bacon, then yes, I'd ask if he meant to name his 3rd son Ham, or assume other people had.
    Last edited by Kondibon; Jul 20, 2014 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    I clearly pointed out that we can't actually know either way unless the creators come out and say it's one way or another and why anyway.
    Then I'd have to assume that him being listed as Chroto in two consecutive credits prepped up by the creators does qualify as just that. No?

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious-G View Post
    Then I'd have to assume that him being listed as Chroto in two consecutive credits prepped up by the creators does qualify as just that. No?
    Again, this isn't about which is official. Dark Force still gets called Dark Falz, and in the first game/online games that was his official name. It was still an accident. Do I care that it's an accident? No, I call him falz all the time. I just don't like that people are so adamant that it HAS to be Chroto and they couldn't have POSSIBLY just made a mistake when coming up for the romanization of his official name like this, despite all the evidence showing how likely that is.

Also, no, the credits don't count, I didn't mean saying "this is how it's spelled", I meant whether or not he's supposed to share his name with Clotho or not.
    Last edited by Kondibon; Jul 20, 2014 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostbob117 View Post
    <Qwerty> The proper analogy is walking into a colorblind man's house, who then points to his blue wall and asks, "How do you like my wall? I painted it red." Uh nope.
    <Qwerty> The point being that, to him, he perceives no difference, so to him it is not wrong. To others, however, it is objectively incorrect.
    <Qwerty> maybe also mention that people REALLY should read those Legends of Localization links I posted, because it shoots holes all through the "IT'S OFFICIAL SO GOTTA BE CORRECT NO MATTER WHAT" bullshit
    I've already read those. And they support what I'm saying.

You lot are missing the parts where I repeatedly say "official" and "I don't care if you call him that."

As people have pointed out, "official" is not "intended" nor is it "correct."

It is only that: Official.

I'm not saying it's what they meant, or what you should use, or any of that drivel. Stop distracting from the point.

I'm saying it's the only endorsed name, even despite not realizing it might not be correct - just like Yossy wasn't realized to be incorrect when originally translated. If Nintendo never did more research and only ever did one translation with the name Yossy, Yoshi's official name would actually be Yossy. His entire Wikipedia page would be found under "Yossy," and searching "Yoshi" would forward you to "Yossy." Why? Because that would be the only term ever actually used by the owning company. It's their shit, they make it all up.

If you are talking about anything else: I don't really care. Who does? It's such a bunch of semantic bullshit who calls him what, just like always. This shit's even worse in the Monster Hunter community, where people who seem to be your run of the mill weeb elitists get the JP versions of the games and learn the japanese names, then refuse to use officially localized names they dislike.

You should see the whining about Zinogre's name. The original name? ジノウガ - Jinouga. Now, オウガ is ouga, or ogre. I find it totally plausible that Zinogre was the intended name from the very beginning. People refused to use it because they said it wasn't the originally intended name, and it sounds dumb and blablabla they just don't like it. In fact, "Zinogre" has been on Japanese merchandise for a while now, and it's apparently been confirmed to be the originally intended name. But do these people use that name? Lots still refuse to. Which...is fine. It doesn't kill anybody to use a J instead of a Z and end the word with an A instead of an ER. But that doesn't mean it's the official term.

Regarding "correct" names? I honestly feel there's no such thing. Official, yes. Common, yes. "Correct" suggests people are wrong. I keep saying you can call Chrono whatever you please, so obviously I don't think anybody's wrong. That pretty highly implies I don't think there's a correct name either. Which I don't. I just don't like seeing people trudging around saying there is no official name when there very plainly is, if you know how to use a dictionary anyway.

You fuckers are playing a game called Phantasy Star Online whining about a company spelling things wrong. Phantasy. With a PH. And you draw the line when you think Sega isn't sticking to a pattern they never said they were using? Get the fuck over it.
    Last edited by gigawuts; Jul 20, 2014 at 09:13 AM.

So... does anyone remember the official name for this outfit in EN PSU??+^_^+

the "official" translation in PSU was Formal set....
    it should have been FOmarl set...
    I don't trust that SEGA tech geek that failed 8th grade Engrish one bit for "official" translations+^_^+ Considering all the other asteroid names, Klotho is the closest translation to what the Kana name was meant to be unless there was an asteroid or planetoid discovered pre-2012 that got named Chroto +^_^+

Quote Originally Posted by Chik'Tikka View Post
    So... does anyone remember the official name for this outfit in EN PSU??+^_^+

the "official" translation in PSU was Formal set....
    it should have been FOmarl set...
    I don't trust that SEGA tech geek that failed 8th grade Engrish one bit for "official" translations+^_^+ Considering all the other asteroid names, Klotho is the closest translation to what the Kana name was meant to be unless there was an asteroid or planetoid discovered pre-2012 that got named Chroto +^_^+
    I was wondering if someone would bring this up.

Tell me: When creating a PSU item database, what would you name this item for people to find when searching for it? People new to Phantasy Star and have never even heard of PSOW so what they see on their screen is all that they know?

Tell me: Does the typical PSO2 player know the name of every asteroid? Would they even notice a pattern with the names? When what they see in the game is all that they know, will they go with what they see in the credits or will they do a bunch of research on every single name to find out what the community calls it, instead of just googling what's actually in the game first?

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    I was wondering if someone would bring this up.

Tell me: When creating a PSU item database, what would you name this item for people to find when searching for it? People new to Phantasy Star and have never even heard of PSOW so what they see on their screen is all that they know?
    well, PSU named all the other sets right... RAmarl jacket, HUnewe boots, etc+^_^+

Quote Originally Posted by Chik'Tikka View Post
    well, PSU named all the other sets right... RAmarl jacket, HUnewe boots, etc+^_^+
    I stealth edited that post.

And what if they've never heard of RAmarls, or HUnewearls, or FOmarls? Ever. What if they haven't even seen those items before, and have only seen the Formal clothes in the shops?

Should this item still only be called FOmarl on every resource? Or should it actually be called what it's actually named in an item database?