Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vent View Post
    People saying that players get one-shotted for simply mistakes should remember a few things.

First of all one should look at their units. Do you have a 5-slot Gloam + Shield set? Let me guess, you have Mizer Soul + Shoot III + Ability III + Spirita III + Shoot Boost. I don't see any noticeable defensive affix there right?

Next ask anyone whether you should change some of your affixes to have more HP so you don't get one-shot, what answer do you get? Is it "No, just don't get hit"?

So why is getting one-shotted not a problem in general? Because there isn't a death penalty and everyone carries 5 Moon Atomizers around and reviving is child's play.

The problem is not so much that mobs hit too hard, but rather that players are not afraid of dying in the first place. I think they should decrease your quest rank if you die too many times, even if you don't get revived and return to campship.
    I'd be perfectly fine with this is affixing/obtaining gear was easier and changing skill trees was more convenient.

As it is right now though your points don't make any sense because inorder to even get that stuff you have to fight things to make money, to even afford that stuff, let alone getting the rare units if you aren't premium.

I've been playing PSO1 since 2001 it was definitely my favourite game for at least a decade.

PSO2 is nothing like it :/ might aswell be named PSUO2

Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    Shin means a persistant open world where normal gameplay takes place. If you can make the lobby into a menu with a chat box without any direct change to regular gameplay then it doesn't really count.

The thing is, people have adopted using the term MMO for any PC based online game that isn't a shooter. There's nothing wrong with that in casual conversation, but the distinction is important in conversations like this because even if we DO use your definition of MMO You run into a huge apples and oranges thing when you say "PSO2 is the best mmo I've played".

There are plenty of online games that aren't MMOs even if they support lots of players, online shooters like Microvolts or S4, MOBAs like LoL and Smite, or or online action games like PSO2, Vindictus, and Elsword. The genres are too far removed from eachother to be lumped to gether outside of the "online" part

That's not to say there aren't action MMOs, just that PSO2 isn't one because it lacks a persistant open world for normal gameplay. Go ahead and use the term MMO coliqualy, I don't care, I'll know what you mean, but don't try to say that the actual definition of the term encompases all these games because that's how terms lose meaning.
    Exactly. I frown upon people just lumping all games into 'MMO' because 1 the word loses it's meaning and you can be really misleading when you say that. So somebody thinks this game is a MMO.
    Where's my macros?!" "This is not a open world, why can't I quest from Zone to zone?" "Where's my professions" and it can go on an on.

This game is an online co-op action RPG let's call it what it is and not lump it in a massive genre that has no meaning.

someone call the fire brigade.

I'm too busy in tending to my ships in KanColle.

I'd be perfectly fine with this is affixing/obtaining gear was easier and changing skill trees was more convenient.

As it is right now though your points don't make any sense because inorder to even get that stuff you have to fight things to make money, to even afford that stuff, let alone getting the rare units if you aren't premium.
    They could just give us 100% of our subclasses hp like the Taiwan(?) version did.

"Of their own accord" Enforcer MKV's Avatar
    Somewhere, being an old man again, apparently.

To be fair I actually think it's a valid discussion for this thread since the distinction matters.
    Normally? I'd agree with you. But seriously; the argument has broken out so many times, in so many threads...that a lot of us are just sick of hearing it.

And I'm one of them. And the topic is about it being the best game you've played overall. Not within a specific genre. But then again, this being the place it is the topic was bound to spiral into that old back and forth.
    Enforcer MkX [TE/RA]: Critically injured
    Violet MkV [BR/HU]: On active duty

Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer MKV View Post
    Normally? I'd agree with you. But seriously; the argument has broken out so many times, in so many threads...that a lot of us are just sick of hearing it.

And I'm one of them. And the topic is about it being the best game you've played overall. Not within a specific genre. But then again, this being the place it is the topic was bound to spiral into that old back and forth.
    Even the OP narrowed it down so I don't think there's anything wrong with that specifically, but I agree that it gets brought up at really dumb times. That doesn't mean this is one of those times though.

Quote Originally Posted by the_importer_ View Post
    Yikes, this topic went from into an all out war. Guys, mostly everything you stated aren't really flaws in general, they're just personal opinions which can differ from person to person.

Anyway, thanks for your inputs, I just wanted your opinions on the matter.
    i'd understand if it was one person stating things they felt were flaws in the game being considered just a personal opinion but when a lot of people come to an agreement there is a bit a.fact to it sure not everyone sees it but it dies not change the fact it's there. I am not asking you to agree with but don't just discredit us and say they are not really flaws. It's not a glitchy mess of a game but still it's not that great a game can function, but still have things that can turn off a gamer. Pso and psu did some things better other things pso2 does better. This.game does not engage me like other series do it is a place holder until the next monster hunter comes out.

I had my fun but those days are long and gone to me there are better games and I rather olay thise than this. I get a game should not be.easy but it should also not dick me around wanting a specifix item to drop or be hours grinding and maybe spent 4-5 mil just to get a 10* to +2 or how about affixing where weapons skills can all be 95% on transfer and all fail or maybe.one does and the otger 4 skills don't forcing me to restart. I should not be punished just for playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinMaruku View Post
    MMO means Massively Multiplayer Online.
    Is PSO massively multiplayer? Do you play with hundreds of people in a open persistent world? Nope. That disqualifies it as an MMO.
    The player shops.

This game not only has massive multiplayer, it has the best kind of PVP: market PVP.

So fuckin deal wit it. It's an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemako View Post
    Pshaw, unless you're doing BCT5-9 or EX primals, you totally can zone the hell out in FFXIV, even as tank. You do something enough times, and it just doesn't require any thought. Before I quit, I was pretty much sleepwalking through everything but T5, and that basically required that you commit everything to muscle memory anyway since any nontrivial mistake was a wipe (now you have echo buff, though, you lazy sods).

Anyway, to the point, PSO2 is the best action MMO I've played, though I have yet to touch B&S. However, I think action-MMOs are still getting their legs, and PSO2 is going to look really dated in terms of design in 5 years.
    It's weird because it's exactly as you said. FFXIV isn't exactly a mechanically intense game (aside from those high-level encounters), but for some reason I'm just more engaged in it than I ever am in PSO2.

I think the fact that I'm perfectionist in one game but not the other (I actually parse my DPS in FFXIV and try to improve my numbers as much as I can) may have something to do with that. PSO2 is more a game I fuck around with to see how much of a badass I can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by TaigaUC View Post
    In PSO2 I start to fall asleep during Bursts or running from point A to B. Some of my friends also doze off at the same times.
    It's really obvious because we start endlessly running into walls.

In BnS I fall asleep pretty much everywhere outside of the last two floors of Mushin Tower.
    Probably because the boss AI there glitches so much that I'm too angry to fall asleep.
    "Think you're gonna beat me, huh!? How about I become completely invincible for absolutely no reason, and for such a long time that it becomes completely impossible to beat me! Hah!"
    The endgame 24-man dungeon bosses in BnS are especially dull. I even wrote some macros to automate most of the encounters in BnS.
    Can't talk about FFXIV as I haven't played it, but it looks like another WoW wannabe.

When I raided in WoW, I used to be able to alt-tab between 3-4 clients to heal, tank, buff and do damage. Without using macros.
    I think that says a lot about how much attention was needed from one person playing a single class. No idea what it's like now.

You can also tell how involving a game is by whether you can eat meals during it.
    That's interesting. You must be geared as fuck in BnS because I couldn't do anything resembling that during my time playing that game. I can believe it tho, because you can get damn near unkillable once you've built up your stats (and with the right build, obv).

I still remember the old beggar/fisherman absolutely wrecking my shit the first time I met him, having to fight him something like a dozen times before eking out a win. And then after hitting level cap and getting geared, I could utterly annihilate him without taking so much as a scratch. I guess that's RPG stat progression for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    The player shops.

This game not only has massive multiplayer, it has the best kind of PVP: market PVP.

So fuckin deal wit it. It's an MMO.
    Hmmmm.

I can kind of see this. But then the question is, does DOTA 2 become an MMO because it has trading and a marketplace? Or does it have to be a market with in-game currency? That may actually be a useful metric, because there are very few MMORPGs these days that don't have a server-wide marketplace.
    Last edited by Zyrusticae; Jul 31, 2014 at 11:39 AM.