Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

To be fair I actually think it's a valid discussion for this thread since the distinction matters.

Yikes, this topic went from into an all out war. Guys, mostly everything you stated aren't really flaws in general, they're just personal opinions which can differ from person to person.

Anyway, thanks for your inputs, I just wanted your opinions on the matter.

It's one of the better online action games that I've tried out. Best game ever, though? I wonder if it would even make it into my top 300, considering that I've seen stuff with better gameplay, story, graphics, visual design, no bullshit that comes with free-to-play model and no IP block.

It's not the best game I've ever played, but it's not the worst. To be perfectly honest, I don't even have a "best game I ever played". I don't play many games these days though, so what do I know. :/

Let's start a revolution together.

PSO2- Zen/Ship 02: Former Xbox360 PSU Player

archeage is probably the best of mmos ive played
    Am i really supposed to put something here?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinMaruku View Post
    MMO means Massively Multiplayer Online.
    Is PSO massively multiplayer? Do you play with hundreds of people in a open persistent world? Nope. That disqualifies it as an MMO.
    The ships could arguably be considered the persistent world, as they still exist even when no players are logged in. Many MMO games are split up into multiple lobbies or channels for performance reasons.

I think you're taking the MMO definition a little too literally. The game doesn't have to even have a persistent world to be considered an MMO. By definition, an MMO game is any online game that supports a very large number of players simultaneously.

Semantics, really.

Quote Originally Posted by DJcooltrainer View Post
    The ships could arguably be considered the persistent world, as they still exist even when no players are logged in. Many MMO games are split up into multiple lobbies or channels for performance reasons.

I think you're taking the MMO definition a little too literally. The game doesn't have to even have a persistent world to be considered an MMO. By definition, an MMO game is any online game that supports a very large number of players simultaneously.

Semantics, really.
    you're not supposed to put gasoline on a fire.

big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by WildarmsRE5 View Post
    you're not supposed to put gasoline on a fire.

big mistake.
    Bah, I said before and I'll say it again, no media genre has ever been defined industries, meaning that there's no checklist of requirements to make a genre the way it is. People just compare one game/movie/song to another and classify it as such based on personal opinions, knowledge, experiences and even tastes.
    Last edited by the_importer_; Jul 31, 2014 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJcooltrainer View Post

Semantics, really.
    Shin means a persistant open world where normal gameplay takes place. If you can make the lobby into a menu with a chat box without any direct change to regular gameplay then it doesn't really count.

The thing is, people have adopted using the term MMO for any PC based online game that isn't a shooter. There's nothing wrong with that in casual conversation, but the distinction is important in conversations like this because even if we DO use your definition of MMO You run into a huge apples and oranges thing when you say "PSO2 is the best mmo I've played".

There are plenty of online games that aren't MMOs even if they support lots of players, online shooters like Microvolts or S4, MOBAs like LoL and Smite, or or online action games like PSO2, Vindictus, and Elsword. The genres are too far removed from eachother to be lumped to gether outside of the "online" part

That's not to say there aren't action MMOs, just that PSO2 isn't one because it lacks a persistant open world for normal gameplay. Go ahead and use the term MMO coliqualy, I don't care, I'll know what you mean, but don't try to say that the actual definition of the term encompases all these games because that's how terms lose meaning.

Not the best game in all categories, but the best online game in my opinion. The Phantasy Star series has its own unique style that many other MMOs simply lack. Even if the gameplay is not always as good, the style, environment and players makes up for it. Many MMOs these days are still WoW clones. People who hype up Blade and Soul probably haven't played it yet; it's pretty much Aion with a different combat system that is still repetitive as heck.

Quote Originally Posted by TaigaUC View Post
    In PSO2 I start to fall asleep during Bursts or running from point A to B.

You can also tell how involving a game is by whether you can eat meals during it.
    Says a lot about the conditions you are in while gaming.

People saying that players get one-shotted for simply mistakes should remember a few things.

First of all one should look at their units. Do you have a 5-slot Gloam + Shield set? Let me guess, you have Mizer Soul + Shoot III + Ability III + Spirita III + Shoot Boost. I don't see any noticeable defensive affix there right?

Next ask anyone whether you should change some of your affixes to have more HP so you don't get one-shot, what answer do you get? Is it "No, just don't get hit"?

So why is getting one-shotted not a problem in general? Because there isn't a death penalty and everyone carries 5 Moon Atomizers around and reviving is child's play.

The problem is not so much that mobs hit too hard, but rather that players are not afraid of dying in the first place. I think they should decrease your quest rank if you die too many times, even if you don't get revived and return to campship.
    I don't get people. Never have. Never will.
    PSO2: Account Name: VentAileron, Character: ラフィーナ (Raffina)