Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Flying high in the sky with a fly in your eye.

Default RIP Robin Williams.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ro...de-1201280386/

Aparent suicide they say. Damn, I loved him in just about everything he did.

You will be missed. Thanks for all the laughs.
    'All tales end in tragedy. Follow the hero long enough, you'll step across his corpse.'
    Survivor of TWO live Gwar performances.

I hope that a positive thing that comes from this is more awareness for depression in general.

This proves that even the most outwardly peppy, zany, upbeat people can be suffering in silence in their hearts and minds. Depression is an extremely serious problem and should be treated just as carefully as a number of dangerous physical ailments. With the recent rise of awareness for mental health in America and beyond, hopefully we're closer than ever to giving people that suffer from these types of sicknesses the help they truly need, since a frightening amount of people still don't completely understand what depression is and how it works.

If everyone would reach out to someone that they think might be hurting, whether it be a simple, kindhearted conversations or what have you, just that would be a great start.

Man what a sad day for the world.

I'll never forget some of his serious work like Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting. Even the most cheesy comedies were also funny because of him, which otherwise would be terrible movies. What a loss.
    Last edited by Edson Drake; Aug 11, 2014 at 08:31 PM. Reason: wrong movie names damn region title changes

Mechanized Combat Engineer Freshellent's Avatar

Unreal, that's even more bad news to add to this already bad day. (For me at least)

Rest in peace.
    Veteran of the former Universe 11. PSO2 -Ship 02-

I was actually a little shocked when I found out today. I am not sure how I feel now.

This is very sad to hear, loved his roles in Dead Poets Society and Jumanji.
    It´s just one big streak of good actors dying lately.
    [PSO2] Darkante: Cast HU-44/RA-43/FI-42/GU-30
    Astral Storm: Newman F HU-35
    [PSP2:I]
    RB3 - Dark Knight "Ante" : Cast M Lv 200/ JLv Hu50/Ra50/F30/Va46
    RB3 - Crimson Sky: Beast F Lv 174/ JLv Hu34/Ra18/Fo1/Va50
    RB0 - Zone Dynamite: Beast M Lv 76/ JLv Hu0/Ra7/Fo0/Va0

Absolutely horrendous thing to wake up to today.

You're free now Genie.

We've lost some very good entertainers that loved games this year to suicide. First JewWario and now Robin Williams. A very sad time for anyone that knew Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    I hope that a positive thing that comes from this is more awareness for depression in general.

This proves that even the most outwardly peppy, zany, upbeat people can be suffering in silence in their hearts and minds. Depression is an extremely serious problem and should be treated just as carefully as a number of dangerous physical ailments. With the recent rise of awareness for mental health in America and beyond, hopefully we're closer than ever to giving people that suffer from these types of sicknesses the help they truly need, since a frightening amount of people still don't completely understand what depression is and how it works.

If everyone would reach out to someone that they think might be hurting, whether it be a simple, kindhearted conversations or what have you, just that would be a great start.
    I think this deserves to be reposted.

I also think now would be a good time to post some links to suicide prevention resources. Wikipedia has a page listing suicide crisis lines for a couple of countries, but it's far from extensive. Feel free to share anything you think would be useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...e_crisis_lines

Remember: if you are feeling depressed or overwhelmed or like you're trapped, there are people out there who care about you and they can help you get through this. Talk to family, talk to friends, talk to people on the foums, talk to strangers on the other end of a phone; do whatever you're most comfortable with. Just don't forget that no matter how dark things can seem you're not alone.

-----

I'm genuinely surprised by how sad I was after learning about Robin William's death, but I guess I shouldn't be. I've watched his movies throughout my entire life. Many of us grew up watching his work and now he's not a part of our lives anymore. Ugh, it's so sad. I hope the best for his family and friends.

Some of the saddest people tell the most jokes. The bit about Pagliacci seems especially poignant right now.

To turn the topic to a predictably sour-er note...
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/1...leged-suicide/
    This "suicide is the act of a coward" attitude is itself a self-serving, lazy attitude of a coward. To refuse to take full grasp and embrace the sheer magnitude and plethora emotions involved in such a decision - the fear, the anger, the solace, the bittersweetness, and everything else - and simply say it's a cowardly act, is a criminal disservice to Robin Williams that takes his humanity away from him. Based on everything I've ever seen about him the man was anything but a coward.

No, he didn't say that only cowards kill themselves, however it is a copout many will take when "discussing" the topic - and I say "discussing" lightly, as people who take that stance are usually talking much more than listening. For a person to want to kill themselves, death doesn't seem appealing; life seems so horrific that death becomes an option. Try to imagine how horrible life must be, or appear, for that option to enter the equation. Simply existing doesn't cause suffering - something else must be going on in a person's life that makes existence, or makes it seem, so horrible. Maybe a person's grasp of reality is warped, or maybe there are physical external factors involved. How much pain would it take for you to want it to just stop it at any cost? Physical? Emotional? Both? How long could you endure the worst pain you've ever felt, if it never stopped? Weeks? Months? Years?

Many will say that suicide is a selfish act, but if someone's life is, or seems, that awful then it's far more selfish to demand they endure it just because you don't want to move on with your life without being able to call or text them every few weeks and get a response. What a terribly shallow and narcissistic stance to take. While what they really want is usually for the person to not suffer at all, the unfortunate reality is that sometimes that simply isn't an option.

I'm not entirely surprised this happened, in hindsight. Oftentimes those who hurt the most do everything they can to keep other people from hurting. With how beloved this man was to essentially everybody, I hope it's possible that awareness and understanding can come of it. I'd give this man a national holiday if I could. Strike that - an international holiday. Out of every comedian - every actor - this is the one that never seemed tarnished to me in any way. This doesn't change that to me. If anything, it only makes the sentiment feel stronger.
    Last edited by gigawuts; Aug 12, 2014 at 11:45 AM.