Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PSO-like games?

Hm, character customization and combat style aren't really what I think of when I think "PSO" personally.

To me, the game was the interesting levels and loot system. If you also like those, check out Torchlight and Borderlands. Those games definitely deliver on loot and neat environments.

I have not bothered trying it since getting in to a korean closed beta seems like a hassle but Black Desert do seem pretty interesting.

Norco   Prins Erik    RA-421

I somehow predict this is one you've already dismissed, but Diablo 3 is pretty good now. The style isn't Zelda 64-ish in the way that PSO and PSO2 sort of are, but it's the same addictive loot hunting concept with really polished, fast-paced gameplay that has zero learning curve. The recent expansion fixed a lot of things that sucked about the vanilla release, too.

Seconding what was already mentioned about Ragnarok Odyssey Ace.
    Zeota - Ship 2 (JP)
    http://twitch.tv/zeomantic

Quote Originally Posted by CupOfCoffee View Post
    I somehow predict this is one you've already dismissed, but Diablo 3 is pretty good now. The style isn't Zelda 64-ish in the way that PSO and PSO2 sort of are, but it's the same addictive loot hunting concept with really polished, fast-paced gameplay that has zero learning curve. The recent expansion fixed a lot of things that sucked about the vanilla release, too.
    Yeah, but the mouse-click interface just doesn't do it for me. Also, I sunk so many hours into it already.
    Coming Soon!

Ah, word. I play it on Xbox 360 so it just controls like a normal game. I played it a little bit on PC when it first came out, and liked it there too, but I agree the mouse and keyboard is nowhere near as fluid as a controller.

If you just want the action, every musou has tons of hack and slash, a lot of characters to lvl up, a lot of stages t clean. On Steam you have the newest Dynasty Warriors, on PS360 you have Fist of the North Star and Gundam, and on WiiU Zelda Musou (and I think Hokuto musou as well but only digital release).

If you want to play dressup I guess Fallout/Elder Scrolls with mods is everything you may want lol Dead Rising 3 has dressup too... you can dress the main male character as a schoolgirl...

Quote Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
    Recently I had the urge to play PSO2 again, so I went and patched it up... only to find that nope, can't connect anymore (I could set up a VPN or whatever, but it's a hassle).

This has led to me playing some PSP2 to get my fix, but it's not quite the same.

So... what other stuff is there that people could recommend in the vein? I'm worried there's nothing that really captures the action combat+lots of character customization I want. (Also, I already have MH3U, which is the closest thing that comes to mind, but I've run out of goals in that that don't involve grinding down tower monsters forever).
    Have you tried using the proxy by CyberKitsune? It's really easy to use.

If not, well, I don't know any games that can really match up to PSO2 in every aspect, only certain ones. I'll list MMO games that I know of.

Gameplay/Combat-wise:
    - Tera (similar to using Z button aiming on PSO2, but everything has cool-downs, including dodging, but it is open-world.)
    - Grand Chase (combat that is like a Beat 'em up/Brawler or real-time fighting game with dungeons. Pre-made characters, but there's a lot and they have unique personalities/stories.)
    - Elsword (similar to above but slightly less chibi, a bit like a sequel with less characters.)
    - Onigiri Online (I never got far, but the combat seemed to be more real-time action rather than point-click auto-combat.)
    - Blade Chronicle (Japanese only, but combat is really unique that you make a slice motion with your mouse to attack.)
    - Dragon Nest/Divine Souls/Rusty Hearts/Vindictus/LOCO/Kritika (dungeon-based action combat, but gender-locked.)
    - The Secret World (combat is semi-action based, where you click the target, but use skills constantly and can dodge/move around. Dodging has a cooldown sadly, and monsters are fast, so you can't avoid getting hit 100%. Story is actually interesting, and community is mature. GMs respond to help tickets within an hour in-game.)

Customization-wise:
    - Mabinogi (a bit more cartoony, but tons of styles. combat is far from auto-combat, but not quite hack-slash and requires strategy/timing.)
    - Aura Kingdom/RO2/Lime Odyssey (if you want really pretty anime characters, these so far have the best graphics for that, though the actual customization isn't slider-based, and gameplay is really generic.)
    - Aion/Perfect World (really in-depth customization including height, but generic gameplay aside from flight.)
    - Archeage (new MMO with very in-depth character customization except for the body. Unique sandbox-like qualities like housing/farming/building/etc, but combat is similar to generic MMOs. Also has 2000+ people queues at the time of posting this.)
    - Second Life/IMVU (Ok, these are not MMOs, and more of social/life-sim universes, but they have extremely modifiable character customization, so just thought to throw them in. Second Life is definitely better than IMVU imo. People can essentially make characters/hair/clothes/furniture/etc from scratch with 3D programs, and also create their own scripts/programs within it.)
    - Whirled (same as above, but with custom 2D Flash, and more kid/teen-oriented.)

Note that when I say "generic gameplay", I mean auto-combat where you click the enemy and your character fights automatically and you just push hotkeys for potions/skills without much strategy or human skill involved. Also repetitive questing.
    Last edited by Vetur; Sep 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM.
    Ship 9 - Kouki Elska

I actually did use the proxy... and just couldn't get into it really.
    Coming Soon!