Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default First impressions.

I'm a bit late to party to be sure. My first impression when playing with the JP version with all the English patches was..."there's too much Nipponese in this Nippon game". I think dipping my toes in the english SEA side of the water may have spoiled me somewhat but even without that bias it was a lot of moonrunes to gloss over during my initial play. I moved forward and did a mission or two and while there were patches of english I recognized between one place and another from the SEA version I found myself wondering what the hell I was glossing past text wise most the time.

Even if I was partnered with someone who knew what they were doing I doubt I'd find a coherent experience story wise. I am conflicted because it seems the majority of the PSO2 community english or otherwise plays on the JP version. I'm even one of the lucky few to not be at all affected by whatever IP Block was put out after the DDOS. Really though, I enjoy PSO as a series for allowing me to drop in and out of a session with anyone and have fun without much other context other than "let's kill stuff" but this game will have trouble with that since it's almost entirely Japanese with a few gajins sprinkled in comparatively. In a word this game is "unwelcoming", at least if you don't know nipponese.

With that last closing sentence in mind I can't rationalize getting any of my friends into the JP version. Even the most neckbearded ones that would totally dig this kind of deal would be put off methinks. Still, I've been wrong before but I'm curious if I'm the only one with this sentiment. Please regale me with your thoughts. I've finally tasted this apple of enlightenment and I'm not satisfied.

Now before this thread get's napalm'd allow me to step into this bunker here and batten down the hatches.
    Don't judge a manga by its anime

Mobile Heavy Armored Cast Sacrificial's Avatar

You could just download the english fanlation patch that has better quality english than the SEA version if you are really bothered by 'moonrunes'

And now to answer your question.
    I, myself don't really have a problem with it. I've been playing foreign language games since the age of 5(first one being english). Either you try to learn the language,download the patch or just memorize everything. So like I did when I was five, I tried to learn Japanese. So far, I didn't really work out to surpass the language barrier, but it did made shopping easier.

MultiCore------------Male Cast~~~~~~~~~~~Moriah----------------Female Dewman
    Zyonyl----------------Male Newman~~~~~~~~Shilka ZSU-----------Female Cast
    Quote Originally Posted by AIDA View Post
    Did you try turning it off and on again?

I've played a bit of the SEA version and I find myself skipping all the text that the JP version has untranslated, or ignoring it completely. Sometimes I check the log to see if the NPC said something interesting. 95% of the time is the same repetitive phrase for each one of them.

I don't have a problem with foreign languages, I like the diversity, and seeing Japanese characters around the game doesn't bother me at all. And if you want to party with random gaijins, just go to B20.

Quote Originally Posted by AIDA View Post
    It sounds like you didn't install the story patch, since I specifically made sure most (if not all) of the tutorial dialogue is translated.
    I did the core english, the large patch, and the story patch (new method). My main contentions were the tutorial pop ups (almost all of them were nipponese), gear descriptions, any kind of terminal I used and various miscellaneous things that rustled my jimmies.

Be that as it may I just got off my morning shift and the tweaker now has a new patch for me so maybe there is yet untranslated things I've been missing. I'll see soon.

Quote Originally Posted by May0 View Post
    I did the core english, the large patch, and the story patch (new method). My main contentions were the tutorial pop ups (almost all of them were nipponese), gear descriptions, any kind of terminal I used and various miscellaneous things that rustled my jimmies.

Be that as it may I just got off my morning shift and the tweaker now has a new patch for me so maybe there is yet untranslated things I've been missing. I'll see soon.
    Hey, I hate to be that guy, but could you refrain from using the word "Nipponese"? Kinda sounds racist when you say it like that.

Also, the game isn't 100% translated - expect to see a lot of stuff in Japanese text.

The translation team does what they can; but they're not gods, nor do they work for or get paid by SEGA.

So either lower your expectations of how much English you can expect to see here, suck it up and move on, or just outright quit.

Seriously... I know that English is apparently the "language" of the "master race", but it grinds my gears when people use slang like that (even though I know that nippon = Japan, the way you word it just sounds... degrading).

Quote Originally Posted by Renvalt View Post
    Hey, I hate to be that guy, but could you refrain from using the word "Nipponese"? Kinda sounds racist when you say it like that.
    It's still a correct term for "Japanese."

Japanese people ofttimes refer to Japan as 'Nippon.' It's not racist at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Renvalt View Post

Also, the game isn't 100% translated - expect to see a lot of stuff in Japanese text.

The translation team does what they can; but they're not gods, nor do they work for or get paid by SEGA.

So either lower your expectations of how much English you can expect to see here, suck it up and move on, or just outright quit.

Seriously... I know that English is apparently the "language" of the "master race", but it grinds my gears when people use slang like that (even though I know that nippon = Japan, the way you word it just sounds... degrading).
    I didn't expect a 1/1 English translation to be sure and I did attempt to play with things and try to venture into the game but I didn't find it accessible as the SEA version. If you want to make a contest of who is a more devout PSO fan I'll happily concede to you. I don't have the time or patience to dedicate to JPPSO. Not right now anyway.

On language, I am not going to limit my vocabulary on the off chance someone might be offended by the proper word for the word currently in play if the word in question itself isn't inherently offensive. So until I start spouting sieg heil and using the less politically correct "nip" or "jap" you can keep your presumptions to yourself and check your privilege since I find your presumptions problematic

I didn't expect a 1/1 English translation to be sure and I did attempt to play with things and try to venture into the game but I didn't find it accessible as the SEA version. If you want to make a contest of who is a more devout PSO fan I'll happily concede to you. I don't have the time or patience to dedicate to JPPSO. Not right now anyway.

On language, I am not going to limit my vocabulary on the off chance someone might be offended by the proper word for the word currently in play if the word in question itself isn't inherently offensive. So until I start spouting sieg heil and using the less politically correct "nip" or "jap" you can keep your presumptions to yourself and check your privilege since I find your presumptions problematic
    The game is playable though, as the majority of the English community plays fine, even the none PSO-fan, but anime fan(SAO) are able to play.
    All the important thing is translated, or have guides available already.

And we're getting Episode 3 in 3 day anyway.
    Sizustar Fo/Te 75/75 - Ship-2

Screenshot dump
    url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/118177547@N08/[/url]
    Drawing and junk Twitter https://twitter.com/Sizustar - please don't send blank request-

On language, I am not going to limit my vocabulary on the off chance someone might be offended by the proper word for the word currently in play if the word in question itself isn't inherently offensive.
    There's nothing wrong with saying Japanese as Nipponese hasn't been in use for over 50 years...

Oh dear. I seem to have touched a nerve.

Let's get one thing straight right now: I'm no PSO fan. At least, not as much as half these guys here. I just happen to find the gameplay and graphics attractive, so I play it, given that I have the chance to.

Also, what's with the use of "sieg heil"? Last I checked, no one in my region has resorted to saying that (at least, no one that isn't horrifically obscure and unimportant). And "nip"? "Jap"? Geez, dude, all I was trying to do was lessen the amount of anti-Japanese sentiments around here. After all, I think we've had a bunch of people complaining about the amount of moonrunes in the game, and pestering us on whether America has received her "promised" localization.

But then again, that has nothing to do with you.

Btw, I'm naturally a jerk. Many guys here know it, so my advice is simple: pretend I don't exist. Everyone else here does it.