Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rappy Hunter

Default Can you help a Tank out?

Hey all! Really been enjoying Support Tanking in this game, though I know my standard -dot a units that are extended are only going to go so far,
    Can anyone tell me what unit set is better that can give me as much S/R/T-Def as possible? HP+ is definitely a great bonus!

<insert "Brace Yourself" meme here>

Youre going to get people coming in here telling you that tanking sucks and doesnt work.
    Anyway, the same sets that are good for "tanks" are the same best sets for everyone.

At high levels, resists also make a big impact. Taking Burisa set's 3% apiece for example, 9% resist to all 3 damage types, S/R/T, can offset a 100HP drop or more.

For highest raw Def and HP, just use the Gold crafts with as much +100HP as you need. For overall tankiness, unrafted Burisa aka Magatsu's 11* set has the best mix of resists, HP, Def amd above average attack on the side.

And yes I am obliged to say going for excessive survivability may not be the best route to tanking. You should also look at DPS to make sure you can pull and hold aggro. Also, dead things = things that don't need to be tanked.

A Fury build with 5pts Fury Combo, Flash Guards and Massive Hunter, paired with a melee Teching class like Bouncer or Techer, and a generic set like Hiei crafted with 200 HP and 10 PP is enough to tank well while doing good damage.

Quote Originally Posted by -VEXX- View Post
    Hey all! Really been enjoying Support Tanking in this game, though I know my standard -dot a units that are extended are only going to go so far,
    Can anyone tell me what unit set is better that can give me as much S/R/T-Def as possible? HP+ is definitely a great bonus!
    S-DEF Faren (Zieg) is best.

-285 HP
    -960/846/846 total defense
    -9% to all resistances.

Brisa is 200 HP, 885/924/885 defenses, and 9/12/0 strike/shoot/tech resistances. Best for ranged attacks, but not as great for striking or tech.

Crafted is 300 HP, 1008/924/924 defenses, and 12% strike resistance, but 0% for the other two. Best for striking attacks, but not as good for ranged or tech.

S-DEF Faren covers your bases better than other unit sets and is the best for tech damage.

Also, just to be sure, are you Te/Hu? Best tanking class.

Ah yea forgot about Faren. I'd written it off my list early on when I saw the low PP.

Kagajibaris are Dezorians Omega-z's Avatar

For Armor when it comes to defense it depends on the damage range your at (this is Raw v.s %), HP, (semi) Dex, Defensive Set Bonuses (this is for Crafting), Crafting/non-Crafting (for some), and Potential that's it.

Actually, Faren has 9% to S/R/T resists and 6% to Fire and Wind resists only.

Are there instances where elemental attacks don't count as S/R/T?

There are not. Which is why elemental attacks are generally more powerful than non-elemental ones, to compensate for the fact that they can have two resistances applied to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega-z View Post
    Actually, Faren has 9% to S/R/T resists and 6% to Fire and Wind resists only.
    All = all main damage types (S/R/T). Elemental resistances aren't important enough to warrant mentioning.

Kagajibaris are Dezorians Omega-z's Avatar

Actually Elemental resistances do, They reduce the damage of the element damage, more so for tech damage. And it should be something to take into account when your looking at defense especially for tech resistance and added % reduction. It work's the same way how we attack foe's with elemental attacks just in the opposite.

In-fact you said it yourself too " Which is why elemental attacks are generally more powerful than non-elemental ones, to compensate for the fact that they can have two resistances applied to them."

Take a look at the number of elemental attacks in the game.
    Divide them by element.
    Take a look at the number that aren't elemental.
    Take a look at how many are S/R/T.
    Divide them by type.

Even the smallest category by damage type is multiple times bigger than some of the elemental ones. How many attacks are even wind element? Ringa has a couple, Angel has a couple, Loser has a couple...9% wind resistance isn't close to being as meaningful as 9% tech resistance.

That's why elemental resistances aren't as important as S/R/T. You can have 9% fire resistance and it would only protect from a handful of attacks that are also S/R/T, or you could have 9% strike resistance and have protection from every striking attack in the game, including all the elemental ones. Elemental resistances are pretty much incidental and not a high priority, and even if they were, there are far many more non-elemental attacks than elemental ones and most units give resistances to only a couple elements. Brisa is the only unit set that has relevant elemental resistances, being 9% in every element, and the only set where I could consider them meaningful. It'd be easier to judge the worth of elemental resistances if every single attack's element, if present, was known.

Not all elemental attacks are techs btw. Stuff like Tundra mob snowballs are ranged. A decent number of Wopal enemies have ice element to their ranged attacks too, like Bal Rodos' giant water ball. Elemental striking attacks exist too, like Jagd Dingell's heated blades.

Now, I was talking about resistance to damage types. The hidden stuff. Elemental resistances function the same, but are visible, apply to a tiny fraction of attacks for each given element instead of being in a large group of attacks, and can have everything they do done better by resisting damage type instead of element. Would it make sense to go over every element and pick out a unit set that reduces damage from it best? Course not. Why would I bring it up when explaining the merits of a unit set? That would imply the elemental resistances were of equal importance to S/R/T. Which is obviously not true.

So I guess I was wrong for saying all resistances when I should have specified S/R/T? Because that's pretty much what I'm getting out of this.