Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    I hope it was not SEGA itself.
    Why in the hell would Sega take it down?

I know some players here like to think Sega of Japan has it out for the English player base but god almighty take off the tin hats for once.
    Playing PSO2, PSOBB and PSP2i!

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    I hope it was not SEGA itself.
    They got almost to no reason to do so, cirno even put some credits to sega on the bottom of their page which is iirc one of their rules to host some kind of fansite.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyumi View Post
    Dead link
    Apparently, the host is threatening to shutdown the site unless I remove all MP3s and WEBMs. I deleted them so I'm now waiting for the site to go back online.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyumi View Post
    We all know it could have been more updated if he trusted others to edit
    That isn't the issue though. The issue is that there's not enough volunteers who wants to contribute to the site.

Most people who actually tried to contribute to the site didn't know what they were getting into and was shocked to know how much work is actually involved in simply updating a page, or simply doesn't know what to do. So a majority of them have quit before they could actually contribute much or anything.

SchwerMuta, the most active contributor at the moment was the only one who lasted more than 2 months and was able to contribute tons of content and added functionality to the site. He's 10 times better than me at coding the site so all the recent site improvements are all thanks to him.

Previous contributors were limited to providing translations only, providing icons only, writing stuff and some copy-paste jobs that I don't want to do. Most of them only helping once or twice and then dissappearing.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    But, yeah, on the topic of being publicly edited, what kind of moronski makes a wiki like that non-editable?
    Is there anywhere on the site that claims its a wiki? It's just a simple website written in HTML with some PHP functionality. There's no web interface for adding content, so you have to use Notepad++ to edit and create pages.

It's not a wiki because I actually have no knowledge in coding a wiki, which is why I was using Google Docs before that. Turning it into an open wiki now will require me to redo the site from nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyly View Post
    I know. Maybe he's prideful, and doesn't want to ask for help when he obviously needs it.
    I've been asking for help since forever. The site is down so you can't check it now, but the support page have me asking for help at the bottom. I'll post a screenshot but my PSOW account don't have enough posts to use that feature.

Don't ask me saying "I can't code sites, translate or extract stuff from the game files, but if there's something I can help with don't hesitate to ask." because there's absolutely nothing for you.

@Cirnopoly, how big are your traffic figures? i may be able to host it on the machine i have the arkive and pso2es updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirnopoly View Post
    Most people who actually tried to contribute to the site didn't know what they were getting into and was shocked to know how much work is actually involved in simply updating a page, or simply doesn't know what to do. So a majority of them have quit before they could actually contribute much or anything.
    how much work we talking about? I've made tons of smaller websites & would love to have more large-scale sites like that on my resume

I have had issues with Cirnopedia as well. Clearing my web cache solved the problem for me, I was able to connect immediately after doing that.

That isn't the issue though. The issue is that there's not enough volunteers who wants to contribute to the site.

SchwerMuta, the most active contributor at the moment was the only one who lasted more than 2 months and was able to contribute tons of content and added functionality to the site. He's 10 times better than me at coding the site so all the recent site improvements are all thanks to him.

Previous contributors were limited to providing translations only, providing icons only, writing stuff and some copy-paste jobs that I don't want to do. Most of them only helping once or twice and then dissappearing.
    Thanks for the explanation. It seems its only a miscommunication/misunderstanding, although theres no need for people to be rude about it. If it was more advertised that you were looking for volunteers, everyone benefits.

Anyways it looks like AIDA is advertising here on your behalf, and hopefully someone who knows what they are doing and can fit with your rules can step up.

Also site is up!

Heh, your typical pos-world knob wouldn't know what HTML stands for. Much less write pure html in notepad xD. However, its just not pos-world, but most of the internet sadly.

Problem is, if you want volunteers....and these volunteers usually have no experience in coding except writing bbcode in forum posts, then either you're going to have to make it easy for them or they will just not contribute. Its like handling a major client something like this and saying "Umm, you have to know html or else you can't make pages." They'll say WTF?

I was toying with the thought of making a PSO2 wiki back last year around April. Even had a sub section on my main wiki and navigation set up for the game. But I eventually removed it for a couple reasons

1. Lost interest

2. Gauging potential traffic. If I base it off pos-world, its not going to meet my expectations. So is it really worth the effort?

3. Sorry, but my wiki is not a open editable wiki like pos-world knobs want it. It just leads to a giant mess of misinformation. I prefer a trusted team of people aka volunteers who would then get access to edit whatever page.

4. pos-world being pos-world. So many ungrateful idiots on here. Reminds me of that movie Idiocracy.

Anyways, I have several ways to make it where anyone could work on a page without needing coding experience. I'll mention just three of them.

1) Wiki template system. I make the templates, you enter in crap. Pretty standard stuff. So for example, my wiki template syntax on my site is like

Code:
    [template=pso2weapon]atk=999|range=999|tech=999[/template]
    2) Google/Excel sheets. Just enter in the data and there will be some code to convert it to html or my wiki's template code. Pretty impressive stuff since after that, just copy and paste everything. Ideal for databases.

3) PSO2 specific bbcode. I can make bbcodes specific to pso2 heh.

I'm working on another major project right now for another game, but once I'm done, I'm discuss this again with my team. Hopefully, by then, something happens here with Crino or someone else does it cause I'm too lazy to do it hah.

Anyways, easier said than done for people who think stuff like this is easy. If that is the case, there should of already been a wiki long ago or pos-world should of had what you wanted.............your so called ideal database/wiki. How many wiki start ups did I see on pos-world in the past and where are they now? Hahahaha right.....dead.

Oh and I never had a problem with Crino's site when I actively played PSO2. I feel your pain and great job on what your site has become. Hopefully things will get better for ya in the future.

Handcoded o_O That's so 2005!

I used to do that waaaaaay back but nowadays, things have moved on to CMS like Joomla, WordPress etc with tons of pre-baked plugins. Easy for volunteers to add content, easy for you to administer as well.

Handcoding shouldn't be necessary anymore unless you really need some kind of custom function or really need to squeeze out every drop of performance, like if you run a big site like Amazon.com or something. Even then, it typically takes place within the CMS as a plugin or gets imported from a .js or something like that.

I suggest Googling the term "CMS" or "Content Management System", take a look at your options, decide which one fits best for your needs and then migrate the site over. It will save you a LOT of headaches and your volunteers will be happier. But if I had to point you somewhere off the top of my head, I'd say look at WordPress and TablePress, because WordPress plugins are typically free. I don't do IT anymore so that's about as far as I can help you.
    Last edited by Selphea; Jan 16, 2015 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Selphia View Post
    Handcoded o_O That's so 2005!

I used to do that waaaaaay back but nowadays, things have moved on to CMS like Joomla, WordPress etc with tons of pre-baked plugins. Easy for volunteers to add content, easy for you to administer as well.

Handcoding shouldn't be necessary anymore unless you really need some kind of custom function or really need to squeeze out every drop of performance, like if you run a big site like Amazon.com or something. Even then, it typically takes place within the CMS as a plugin or gets imported from a .js or something like that.

I suggest Googling the term "CMS" or "Content Management System", take a look at your options, decide which one fits best for your needs and then migrate the site over. It will save you a LOT of headaches and your volunteers will be happier.
    I've actually been using xsl (XML with website format tags) spreadsheets because of the cross document custom searches and ability to merge data from multiple documents into a single form. Lacks the pictures but for me at least makes up for it with the ability to define exactly what I want to see from the entire wiki condensed into a single page regardless of where it would normally be located. It also allows the creation of subpages to contain data and pictures using a custom table of data within the page as well which means I can have a single database merge for the entire site and then a single page will then pull data from that as it's updated to create a custom sub-page. For example a sub-page about a single enemy can have it's picture and a custom database merge of it's levels, areas, quests, stats and drops generated at page load... then if ANY of that data is then changed in a future patch all that needs edited are the spreadsheets containing the info that was changed which will then be reflected in any pages which reference that spreadsheet.

* the documents are linked and then all that is needed for a addition is to add a datacell to a document containing the information... which anyone able to enter text into a spreadsheet can edit.
    Last edited by Jiero; Jan 16, 2015 at 09:35 PM.