Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Community Manager Cyron Tanryoku's Avatar

personally i think making a server is more disgusting
    anyone too lazy to just join already available servers doesn't deserve pampering lmao

Well. This can only turn ugly real fast.

Community Manager Cyron Tanryoku's Avatar

oh yeah that too
    shits probably gonna get a cease and desist really quick because such a project can take away potential money from SEGA

People are who are fans of their mmos can run a game better than SEGA.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Planning to replay PSP2 and prove to myself that the chaining mechanic do not slow down the pace of the combat. =/
    Planning to replay PSU (ep1 and 2) for story and gameplay, PSZ and PSP2 offline mode Only Also I'm keeping my FC for psz up though the Network Mode is closed.

Kinda hard to make honey out of shit though

>Kotaku
    Gross.

There's no way SEGA let those people do these thing to their main IP, i wont be surprised to see the next article being those people being hurled down to the court.

If you really don't like certain sites and don't want to give them views, use http://archive.today and look at the page through that.

stevebowling.kinja.com

Because friends don't let friends give kotaku ad money.
    Last edited by Xaeris; Jan 17, 2015 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Replaced link with author's page.

What do you do when you're a flagging game company that has managed to create a successful sequel to a beloved MMO? You release it in as many markets as possible. Unless, of course, you're Sega—then you just announce it and go silent for two years. A group of fans are looking to change that by building their own server and releasing PSO2 to the fans Sega has ignored.
    Sega's Long Silence On Missing Game Disrespects Their Biggest Fans

In July of 2012, Sega announced plans to bring the popular multiplayer RPG Phantasy Star Online 2… Read more kotaku.​com

UPDATE: Sega sent the following statement in reply to this story:

We don't have a comment on PSO2 in general beyond what we've already said before - that the game is delayed and that we'll update the public when we have any news.

If you follow the PSO2 scene, you've probably heard of Cyberkitsune and AIDA. Together, the pair are responsible for keeping US players in the game. Following a crippling DDOS attack last June that resulted in Sega closing the game off from foreign players, they set up a now widely-used proxy that enables players to connect without need of a VPN. Now, however, it seems the pair have their sights set on a larger goal.

While the PSO2 Tweaker can get players in, "... client English patches can only go so far." Cyberkitsune told me during a Skype conversation a few weeks ago. Talks of modding the game, and even introducing English customer support—something foreign players can't enjoy right now, as the act of playing the game itself is now against the TOS—are going around. The only way to do this, however, is to build it yourself. Enter Polaris, the private PSO2 server project.

Fans Plan to Release Phantasy Star Online 2 So Sega Doesn't Have To [UPDATED]

It's ambitious, but already shows promise. The team, a group of about five fans, has reverse engineered enough of the game to have their private server up and running behind closed doors. I was told anyone with a good amount technical knowhow could download and set up the server and get it running right now.
    Spoiler!

Though it runs, Polaris is in a very early stage. Players can create a character, run around and chat, but that's about it. The screenshot you see above is about the extent of what can be done with the project right now, but the team says they know what to do, it's just a matter of finding the time to do it.

As for concerns regarding how Sega might respond to this (I attempted to contact Sega for a response regarding this article, but did not hear back) Cyberkitsune hopes the company would allow the project to continue, or at minimum for it to force Sega's hand into releasing the game stateside. Both he and AIDA mentioned to me they would be happy to work with Sega on getting an official release put together, though neither group has reached out to the other.

Ideally, this project wouldn't have to exist. Sega has to be aware that there's a loyal fan base for the PSO series. If anything, Sega should step up to the plate and at least break their years-long silence regarding the status of the game. Let the community know where they stand. It's the least they can do for their most loyal fans.
    For more information on the Polaris Project or the PSO2 Proxy, go to Cyberkitsune's page. Also check out AIDA's guide to starting a Japanese PSO2 account on Arks Layer. If you'd like to donate to their cause, you can do so on either of the pages linked above.
    Last edited by untrustful; Jan 17, 2015 at 02:12 AM.

Can't you guys be a little nicer? I'm the one that wrote that article for them.