Page 6 of 252 FirstFirst ... 34567891656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alandsmj View Post
    I like see classes being built in "non traditional" ways, as I really enjoyed reading all those RA/FO, GU/FO, even GU/HU tank builds. But they should be in a separate place, at least no in the main texts, and explained in detail why they can still function and what caveats awaits.
    Well the thing is, all three of those had viable and powerful applications, at least at the time they were popular (though I think FO/RA was better esp. once you could craft weapons to be multi-class). GU/FO or GU/TE kind of took a big hit once S Roll JA got nerfed and then absolutely neutered, though. GU/TE still has Zondeel shenanigans but it's just not worth it at all. Making non-traditional classes is generally done because they have a niche, something they can do better than other classes, even if it's still not the best option.

Also, holy shit, Automate Halfline is nowhere near as important as Combat Escape/Katana Combat, the Rapid Fire skills and using Banish Arrow on bosses, Chain Trigger, and those don't even come close to how important Weak Bullet is. Weak Bullet is pretty much the most powerful fucking skill in the entire game by far.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyGaruga View Post
    Nah, SEs from affixes apply at the same rate no matter what attack. This is confirmed by developers.
    *sigh* Yeah, I kinda figured. It makes more sense to have more of a chance with single-target weapons or things that attack slowly, but eh.
    Last edited by Triple_S; Feb 4, 2015 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alandsmj View Post
    *snip
    Freeze rate:

However, because the enemy resistance to abnormal state is different in each type, not necessarily the other enemy also this number."
    This is the important part. Every enemy gets SE afflicted at different rates, for each SE. There are no actually known, confirmed values for the SE boosting potentials, especially because of this factor. Testing on two different enemies can get wildly different results. It is currently impossible to actually ascertain the exact rate of freezing, and testing will only show results for that particular enemy. Obviously, Goldrahda are very easy to freeze. There's no doubt about that. But the question of the matter is, is it worth the loss of damage from not using Mangus Grin? Supporting other players is a good reason to use Mace of Adaman, but that's about all it has going for it. No argument on that part though. But I will argue the usefulness of helping another person wipe out a group of mobs when you should be able to do it yourself, freeing them to be doing other things with their time.

Also, if an enemy is hit 13 times (12 Zondeel'd enemies = 1 wand strike + 12 WG explosions), and freeze is applied 63% of the time, that's a 4.8% freeze rate, which matches up fairly well.

Ice techs vs melee: If your goal is damage, straight up attacking with Mangus Grin or another offensive oriented wand would do it better. If your goal is freeze, ice techs would apply more reliably, and you can JA melees after the tech. Naturally, ice techs would be weak from a Te/Hu, but you get your proc faster and more reliably. Mace of Adaman takes longer to freeze and longer to kill enemies. Zanverse isn't actually helping Mace of Adaman because that applies even better to an offensive wand.

Slide End: Killing enemies yourself is always better than helping someone do it for you.

Unexpected situations: All of your examples are a result of poor play, or problems that can only be an issue if handled improperly. There isn't a single situation where a boss can catch you off guard. Both the minimap and audio cues should keep you adequately informed and ready for anything. It's your job to detonate Goldrahda bombs. But even if you fail that, why are you getting hit by something that has a delay of what, three seconds? Especially with Techer's mobility and low cooldowns. Unacceptable. You can destroy airships yourself. But even if you can't, it's your party's responsibility to do so. Their failure to perform basic level competence tasks does not impact the value of a skill, otherwise Reverser Field would actually be good. Three UQ mammoths will never antagonize you at the same time unless you use War Cry inefficiently.

Automate's importance: What you're saying is essentially that Automate Halfline is as important, or moreso, than Fury Stance. It is not. It isn't even as important as Massive Hunter. It's a useful skill, one of the best Hunter has next to Fury and Massive Hunter, but it is by no means an irreplaceable skill like Weak Bullet or the other skills brought up. And that's all there is to it.

But you're right, within the guide, I'm understating Automate Halfline's usefulness, so I'll rewrite its section a little*. Problem I had with it is that Flash Guard is way better as long as you aren't constantly getting dropped to ~50% HP. But my opinion of Flash Guard is lower since finding that it doesn't work for elemental attacks. I didn't update Automate Halfline's section to suit, and the way it's currently written, it could give the impression that I recommend Flash Guard over Automate Halfline, which isn't even close to what I actually mean. Rather take HP Up now (not that HP up is actually that bad, 13 SP for 114 HP, which Deband Toughness makes 142, not that bad).

Spoiler!

Think this should do it.
    Last edited by LonelyGaruga; Feb 4, 2015 at 01:14 AM.

But my opinion of Flash Guard is lower since finding that it doesn't work for elemental attacks. .
    Okay, I saw you post this and while I was shocked, a question came up...

...what about Flash Tech Guard? What does it do against elemental attacks? Considering Flash Guard has that ridiculous caveat not alluded to at all, perhaps Tech Guard has this as a hidden feature?

I mean, I highly doubt it... but every time we learn some new insanely obtuse detail about a skill, I find myself questioning everything (including the sanity of whoever made these skills).

Oy. Sometimes I half expect people to find out that while Fire Mastery does nothing to Shifta, it actually affects Shifta Strike for some fucking reason.

Adaman is fun in Facility with another player to spawn adds too. Zondeel them together, wand whack = frozen Nepto. If the other player runs a burst build, that fight is over in seconds.

That's only one map though.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_S View Post
    Okay, I saw you post this and while I was shocked, a question came up...

...what about Flash Tech Guard? What does it do against elemental attacks? Considering Flash Guard has that ridiculous caveat not alluded to at all, perhaps Tech Guard has this as a hidden feature?

I mean, I highly doubt it... but every time we learn some new insanely obtuse detail about a skill, I find myself questioning everything (including the sanity of whoever made these skills).
    It's how the game manages resistances. While attacks can be striking, ranged, or tech in terms of what ATK the enemy is using and what DEF you use to defend against it, they can be any one (and only one) of the equivalent resistances and elemental resistances.

This makes Flash Tech Guard almost worthless since there are very few attacks that work off tech resistance. The only boss that reliably uses them is Magatsu.

It's how the game manages resistances. While attacks can be striking, ranged, or tech in terms of what ATK the enemy is using and what DEF you use to defend against it, they can be any one (and only one) of the equivalent resistances and elemental resistances.

This makes Flash Tech Guard almost worthless since there are very few attacks that work off tech resistance. The only boss that reliably uses them is Magatsu.
    Fantastic. I never bothered with Tech Guard because, well, basically what you said. But I figured there'd be some stupid detail because god damn it, they want you to buy more reset passes.

Ugh, why does the game have to calculate damage so strangely? It just doesn't make sense to me that because a striking attack is fire elemental, Flash Guard just decides "eh fuck it" and decides not to work. It's still a striking attack, dammit! D:

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_S View Post
    Well the thing is, all three of those had viable and powerful applications, at least at the time they were popular (though I think FO/RA was better esp. once you could craft weapons to be multi-class). GU/FO or GU/TE kind of took a big hit once S Roll JA got nerfed and then absolutely neutered, though. GU/TE still has Zondeel shenanigans but it's just not worth it at all. Making non-traditional classes is generally done because they have a niche, something they can do better than other classes, even if it's still not the best option.

Also, holy shit, Automate Halfline is nowhere near as important as Combat Escape/Katana Combat, the Rapid Fire skills and using Banish Arrow on bosses, Chain Trigger, and those don't even come close to how important Weak Bullet is. Weak Bullet is pretty much the most powerful fucking skill in the entire game by far.

EDIT:

*sigh* Yeah, I kinda figured. It makes more sense to have more of a chance with single-target weapons or things that attack slowly, but eh.
    Just curious, but do you have any idea of how a Te/Gu build would be like? I'm currently playing Fo/Gu and getting squished by mobs on solo runs... At level 49 I have around 400 HP... I might be tempted to try Te/Gu instead. I also have a T-ATK TMG.

Te/Gu is the current meta buffing build for Magatsu I believe. Understandably not covered in this guide since its main synergy is squeezing a few more % out of Zanverse with Perfect Keeper.

So it wouldn't be ideal for solo play at all?

Having played Gu/Bo with pure TMGs for a bit, it'd be hypocritical of me to say no. I haven't actually done Te/Gu but i'd imagine you'd need to learn how to set up a Zanverse Chain Trigger and use Territory Burst Zondeel with Zero Range to full effect. Also a rainbow set.

So this gets a "maybe" from me, with a fairly expensive experiment involved. Maybe someone who's actually played one can comment.