Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Noblewine View Post
    Why can't we be friends......
    Spoiler!

Whyyyyy?

Quote Originally Posted by Shirai View Post
    lolwat

okay, this isn't my place but...I thought calling someone "jap" was a derogatory term.
    No, it's a shorter way of saying japanese.

lol, what a fucking troll. xD
    Last edited by DragonForce; Feb 2, 2015 at 10:36 PM.

"Jap" is both shorthand for Japanese and a derogatory term just as awful as any other that has its usage forbidden in polite conversation. Gaijin isn't even close to the same level, mainly because it wasn't used as war propaganda to dehumanize an entire culture. Remember: Hiroshima.

And really, is it so hard to say JP or Japanese instead?

Jap and gajin are both considered offensive depending on who you are dealing with. I'm not even sure why I am saying this.

Jap became offensive after WWII.
    The word gajin has became controversial.

Look at it how you want, but if gajin can be used neutral and positively so can jap. Words become derogatory based on how people use them and WHO is using them. (Adding who because of how people like to use race card in today's culture)

It is like the word "negro". Negro is Spanish for the color black, but someone out there had to change it to a derogatory term against African Americans.
    Last edited by Vatallus; Feb 2, 2015 at 11:13 PM.

Do we really need to have this discussion so often...

Quote Originally Posted by Vatallus View Post
    Jap and gajin are both considered offensive depending on who you are dealing with. I'm not even sure why I am saying this.

Jap became offensive after WWII.
    The word gajin has became controversial.

Look at it how you want, but if gajin can be used neutral and positively so can jap. Words become derogatory based on how people use them and WHO is using them. (Adding who because of how people like to use race card in today's culture)

It is like the word "negro". Negro is Spanish for the color black, but someone out there had to change it to a derogatory term against African Americans.
    Negro was actually pretty much the PC thing to say back when racism was the norm though. It isn't the same because that word was never used to dehumanize. African-American pretty much replaced it in modern culture. Not that it's any better, since not all people with dark skin tones are African-Americans or even African. Like Jamaicans.

Jap, on the other hand, was used to dehumanize exactly the same way that another particular word that Negro was substituting for was used for. There is simply no positive or even neutral meaning to it and the only reason it gets used is because some people just see it as a shorter way to write Japanese. For those people, there's nothing specifically wrong with it, but I still don't see why people don't use JP instead. JP is shorter, easier to write, and has no risk of someone overly sensitive blowing up over its usage.

Gaijin is different from jap and certain other racist words that are specifically dehumanizing in that gaijin is becoming a racist word, but is not inherently racist like jap is. Jap simply cannot be used, with the intention of referring to the race, as anything but a negative word because that is all it means. Except when it's short for Japanese. This makes gaijin somewhat more acceptable, but its developing racist definition obviously should not be any more tolerated than if it were specifically invented solely to bash a racial grouping.

As you say, it is a case by case thing about whether a word is being used as a derogatory or not, but words also inherently carry history to them. Jap has nothing but negative history to it and the shorthand for Japanese is itself a different word entirely from the racist term, while gaijin is developing a racist meaning and may very well enter the same territory that other politically incorrect words already have.

To make it perfectly clear, there is nothing OK with calling someone a gaijin and meaning it. Racial insults are pretty much the worst out there. It just so happens that a lot of people using it are gaijins themselves. G-word privileges, as it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardios View Post
    Do we really need to have this discussion so often...
    If there's anything I've learned, it's that people are, as a whole, idiots. So yes. It is necessary.
    Last edited by LonelyGaruga; Feb 2, 2015 at 11:43 PM.

Mmmm big man hairy chest and speedo...

Ahem right. So, lets take a quick lesson on what we learned about this marvellous expereince before i probably lock and toss this into the section of FKL.

1. That man is p sexy guy.
    2. You don't need race or location to determine a "griefer"
    3. People still do Magatsu ?
    4. There is no potato.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

Friends with Ragne-chan! Maenara's Avatar

The ultimate solution is to hate everyone equally.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHNeko View Post
    this is an absolutely disgusting post

reported.
    Maenara - Level 75 HU/FI/RA/GU/FO/TE/BR/BO

Works for me.
    Now I got Anchor Arms, and IM A BIG JERK AND EVERYBODY LOVES ME.

wait thats not right.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."