Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by infiniteeverlasting View Post
    That sounds logical, but does this all mean you got no more extra money for personal use afterwards? I mean tuition is 30k not including dorming. If you include all living expenses with the tuition it's 60k a year I'm spending which puts it right up with Columbia and RISD without the scholarships. This all sounds depressing for my wallet in the future.

Well assuming I get a job with 83k salary which is median starting salary art center, according to my dad I will have like only 500$ to pay back loans, which sounds ridiculous. Why is college even a thing if you can't even come out and earn money cuz of the debt up your butt.

College is so expensive nowadays and it's actually a legit problem, but that's another discussion.

Ty for all the advice.
    I spent about 3-4 months on paycheck to paychecks with absolutely no money to spend outside of food. I only now have cash again because of my tax return, but I also live at home because i can't even fathom affording housing right now

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

how much costs can you typically cut just by eating out less and cooking more, buying hand me down materials/textbooks, and just trying to conserve the use of electric heat and water?
    Food price isn't ridiculous but when you have classes from morning to afternoon with little break, it becomes very tempting to go get some fast food.

Textbooks and materials depend on the classes, books ranges from $20-$400 and stuffs for Art is dam expensive especially for quality materials. I spend about $600 per semester alone just to get quality ART materials.

As for living expense, no idea since I luckily enough do not live on campus and still stuck in the house.

Path 2 seems risky, but is impossible to balance both plans? I heard stories where they say college is like a triangle and you can only pick one side.
    Risky, but if you are that ambitious enough then go for it.
    Starting salaries according to school stats range from lowest of 66,000 to 130,000.
    That is if you get your BA or Masters, then there is this dam economy.

My dad said that's not enough to pay off your debt quickly if you take into the account of tax, 401k, insurance, living expenses, which will probably leave me with 2k extra left in my pocket (and this is with the calculation of a 100k+ salary). After hearing all this I was about to turn republican.
    66k-130k is actually pretty dam good pay, average decent pay is 50k a year. Don't expect to pay all that debt right off the bat unless you get scholarships or won the lottery, if memory serves right you have about 10? 15? 20? years to pay off the school debt.
    Is this true? I don't trust my dad since he often exaggerates things just to stress me out.
    No, 66k-130 (as said above) is actually good pay.

College is so expensive nowadays and it's actually a legit problem, but that's another discussion.
    1. Inflation
    2. People continue vote for better professors/teachers but won't pay the taxes for it
    3. Economy still in a bad position
    4. Colleges spending toooooo much on students that will fail (too many dumbasses are easily let into colleges and resources are wasted on them after they fail 1 year in)
    Last edited by strikerhunter; May 1, 2015 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by strikerhunter View Post
    Food price isn't ridiculous but when you have classes from morning to afternoon with little break, it becomes very tempting to go get some fast food.

Textbooks and materials depend on the classes, books ranges from $20-$400 and stuffs for Art is dam expensive especially for quality materials. I spend about $600 per semester alone just to get quality ART materials.
    I'll be doing mostly digital from now on, considering I'm going into the entertainment industry (Film and video game concept art)

As for living expense, no idea since I luckily enough do not live on campus and still stuck in the house.

Risky, but if you are that ambitious enough then go for it.

That is if you get your BA or Masters, then there is this dam economy.[/QUOTE]
    I don't think my school has a graduate program, They only have around 1000 students in total. I mean just my major they only accept about 100 students a year and end up with only around 60 to 70 attending. It's a really small school, they probably don't have lots of money either, hence the reason why they have no scholarship funds.

Quote Originally Posted by strikerhunter
    66k-130k is actually pretty dam good pay, average decent pay is 50k a year. Don't expect to pay all that debt right off the bat unless you get scholarships or won the lottery, if memory serves right you have about 10? 15? 20? years to pay off the school debt.
    that's ridiculous, that means i'll be paying back debt EVEN WHEN I'M 30 YEARS OLD. Jesus christ man.

Quote Originally Posted by strikerhunter

1. Inflation
    2. People continue vote for better professors/teachers but won't pay the taxes for it
    4. Colleges spending toooooo much on students that will fail (too many dumbasses are easily let into colleges and resources are wasted on them after they fail 1 year in)
    Isn't also cuz the state pays for half of the college funds and yet the price tag for college stays the same because colleges abuse the system?

idk, i just heard this from one of my friends as well, and he's just super republican, talking about how "Obama's act to make first 2 years of community college free" a terrible idea.

And don't colleges not just accept dumbasses, but they also accept a lot of rich dumbasses that can afford to throw tons of money at the school so they can get accepted. But how does this hurt the school o.O, isn't it just like free money cuz the kid ain't doing shit anyways?

I know a ton of spoilt kids from china who come here for college in america cuz their parents hope their child will change somehow when going to school in america. But the fact is that you can't buy responsibility with money. :/

check out my website below
    http://frewinhu.weebly.com/

Isn't also cuz the state pays for half of the college funds and yet the price tag for college stays the same because colleges abuse the system?

idk, i just heard this from one of my friends as well, and he's just super republican, talking about how "Obama's act to make first 2 years of community college free" a terrible idea.
    Democrat or Republican, it doesn't matter because parties point and blame at each other and gets nowhere. When one takes over that party gets blame for whatever problems previous guy left behind.

Then there are the individual states that handles it differently in their own way.

that's ridiculous, that means i'll be paying back debt EVEN WHEN I'M 30 YEARS OLD. Jesus christ man.
    Yea it is, although it is best to pay up a.s.a.p. you need to make sure of a whole lot of other things when it comes to $$. Hell I know of a someone who was still paying for her loans and titution and she's in her 60s.

And don't colleges not just accept dumbasses, but they also accept a lot of rich dumbasses that can afford to throw tons of money at the school so they can get accepted. But how does this hurt the school o.O, isn't it just like free money cuz the kid ain't doing shit anyways?
    Welcome to California.
    As to how it hurts the school:
    -Wasted resources and time, Time + resources = $_$
    -If you're encouraging students to go to school by giving them some free cash who'll eventually fail and can't pay back, you end up losing because well.......they can't pay back duh.
    -Then there are those who graduates but cannot get jobs because of economy and can't pay back loans and tuition.

As for the dumbasses part, hmm......how should I simplify it..........High Schools are so stupidly easy to pass these days that you must be mentally retarded to not past high school and get accepted by at least city or common colleges. Point being, too many students come to college without even knowing what they get themselves into. Then there's the issue of not knowing what classes you are getting yourself into as well. Remember the old quote "less than 50% of your freshman class in High School will graduate by senior year?" Imagine that number be around 10-15%.

I know a ton of spoilt kids from china who come here for college in america cuz their parents hope their child will change somehow when going to school in america. But the fact is that you can't buy responsibility with money. :/
    Most come here because it is literally easier (with the exception of Yale) than in China and is free from K-12.
    Last edited by strikerhunter; May 1, 2015 at 10:05 PM.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

yeah

san andreas is sunny as fuck.

get lots of rich friends, just in general.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Dayum that sounds amazing, can I cut down 10k in living expenses per year just by doing this?
    Food costs won't save you that much, but being able to cut down by even half of what you would spend eating out can help you save enough for the inevitable unexpected emergency. You always have to be ready for something to go horribly wrong, be it a medical emergency or even just running out of gas.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Go to bed.

Seriously. Get some goddamn sleep. That's one of the biggest things I've learned so far. I'm still in school myself. Also, commit yourself and don't be a slacker. The more you fuck around, the deeper you dig your own hole in the long term, for short term satisfaction.

don't get an art degree

If you can, try looking up night/weekend electric plans. I'm on one, and that combined with a programmable thermostat have saved me a good chunk of money. At college, ramen is popular for a reason: CHEAP.

Last I calculated, if I were to ignore interest, I'd finish paying off student loans when I'm ~33 (graduated when I was 22 or 23); but of course due to interest, it is much longer payoff than that. Note that is with a much cheaper school (and with living at home) than you chose. Student loans are a very long term thing. I think my older brother said due to things coming up, due to deferments he's still repaying, and he's in his low 40s.

Don't necessarily believe the school stats. They may use that to lure people in. Also, note you may not be able to find a job in your field (or a similar one) right away, meaning you can't count on the expected starting salary. It took me over a year.

That's over double what I make, and I have 2 Bachelor's of Science degrees and 2 minors.
    Infinite: I'd love to have an extra 2k available to me. Note that once you graduate, you will have a grace period, then college loans will become a required part of your monthly bills until they're paid off.

1. Inflation
    I'd say that on the college staff side, administration may be a bigger issue than professors. Also schools spending large amounts of money on non-education related things hurts as well (new rec centers, sports teams, even more dorms so they can take more resident's money when they already have issues with class sizes, etc).

Most come here because it is literally easier (with the exception of Yale) than in China and is free from K-12.
    I'm curious on this bit. Do you have a cite for it? One reason they may send children to US colleges is extend their knowledge of English.

If non of this made any sense, I blame it on being after 2AM. Feel free to ask for clarifications, will get to those tomorrow.

[quote=Ketchup345;3257148]If you can, try looking up night/weekend electric plans. I'm on one, and that combined with a programmable thermostat have saved me a good chunk of money. At college, ramen is popular for a reason: CHEAP.

Last I calculated, if I were to ignore interest, I'd finish paying off student loans when I'm ~33 (graduated when I was 22 or 23); but of course due to interest, it is much longer payoff than that. Note that is with a much cheaper school (and with living at home) than you chose. Student loans are a very long term thing. I think my older brother said due to things coming up, due to deferments he's still repaying, and he's in his low 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup
    Don't necessarily believe the school stats. They may use that to lure people in. Also, note you may not be able to find a job in your field (or a similar one) right away, meaning you can't count on the expected starting salary. It took me over a year.
    yea i know every college does that, so I got the stats from a few different design websites where they compare the top design Schools in America in terms of mid-career and starting salaries.

Interestingly, each site has slightly different numbers, but the numbers didn't really fluctuate over 10k of a difference, so the roster for each list didn't change much, So I assume each site got relatively the same results in their collection of stats.

That's over double what I make, and I have 2 Bachelor's of Science degrees and 2 minors.
    Infinite: I'd love to have an extra 2k available to me. Note that once you graduate, you will have a grace period, then college loans will become a required part of your monthly bills until they're paid off.
    Is automatic? do they take right from your paycheck the moment your recieve it or...?

I'd say that on the college staff side, administration may be a bigger issue than professors. Also schools spending large amounts of money on non-education related things hurts as well (new rec centers, sports teams, even more dorms so they can take more resident's money when they already have issues with class sizes, etc).
    My campus is really small, 3 buildings only, right next to caltech. To give a general idea of size, I would say it's half the size of Caltech.

They don't have any rec/sports teams. The only thing we have is 2 basketball hoops in the parking lot LOL.

I'm curious on this bit. Do you have a cite for it? One reason they may send children to US colleges is extend their knowledge of English.
    If non of this made any sense, I blame it on being after 2AM. Feel free to ask for clarifications, will get to those tomorrow.
    No, that is definitely not the reason.

Being an ABC myself, I've met a shitton of these spoiled brats myself. My familly had to take care of one of these kids for a week because she got kicked out of her private Prep School before she got into college.

Her luggage she brought over was SO RIDICULOUSLY LARGE It couldn't fit in 1 room and had to be carried into the garage, and our house isn't small either. It only showed how pampered she was. Even after getting EXPELLED from prep school she got accepted into another school and somehow payed her way into Urbana Champaign.
    And this is only one example of the many I've met so far.

Another example is at my Private Art Studio that's famous in the NJ area for Preparing a College portfolio.

A lot of Asian parents send their children to the art center to get their portfolios done for college. The teacher helps "manufacture" a relatively good portfolio for even kids who have no interest in art so they can use it to get into Yale or Harvard as a Supplement Material, and it often works year after year.

Many of the foreign students who come over try to do the same, while having no interest in art. But the difference is that they don't work hard. All of them have their parent standing next to them during class the whole time trying to get their 17 year old kid do stop whining and finish their work.

They're all just a bunch of whiney bitches.

Not to mention how many drunk driving car accidents happen in LA that are because of Young Rich college students from china driving fast cars their parents are dumb enough to buy.
    Last edited by infiniteeverlasting; May 2, 2015 at 11:59 AM.

check out my website below
    http://frewinhu.weebly.com/

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

American system is Pay 2 Play. Or be really goddamn good so you can make the college you're going to look good.