Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PSO2 in USA??

Default PSO2 in USA??

So... Does anybody have a real answer as to why Sega isn't releasing PSO2 in the US?

At this point, the recent restructuring is most likely the reason. They no longer have the funds or resources since they are shifting focus of their international branches (such as SEGA NA) to "strengthening the Sonic brand." Before that, I imagine the relative failure of PSU and PSPo2 may have made them wary of releasing a Phantasy Star game outside of Japan.

Psychotic Asian Goth Girl [Ayumi]'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    At this point, the recent restructuring is most likely the reason. They no longer have the funds or resources since they are shifting focus of their international branches (such as SEGA NA) to "strengthening the Sonic brand." Before that, I imagine the relative failure of PSU and PSPo2 may have made them wary of releasing a Phantasy Star game outside of Japan.
    PSP2 did bad?

Quote Originally Posted by [Ayumi] View Post
    PSP2 did bad?
    Bad enough for them not to release PSPo2i outside of Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    Bad enough for them not to release PSPo2i outside of Japan.
    Eh. I thought it wasn't released thinking no one would've wanted it due to it being on a PSP in general (still got it though, lol).

As for PSO2, I always saw it as the reason is because everyone already ran to the JPN server and majority will not be moving to the US server meaning they would just wasting/losing money for a small group that refuse to play the JPN game.

Wielder of the Neiclaws Ce'Nedra's Avatar

PSP2 got pirated like the mad through CFW, I think that was the main reason they never released Infinity outside Japan.

Celestial Manager~
    Quote Originally Posted by isCasted View Post
    Welcome to PSO2, a game which tells you to fuck off on regular basis. Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupikachu View Post
    He just copypasted the log, which is mostly SOHO talking, and then for the remaining pages he just went to psow and copied the ep4 thread salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ce'Nedra View Post
    PSP2 got pirated like the mad through CFW, I think that was the main reason they never released Infinity outside Japan.
    So the licensing that came with it wasn't needed with the pirated version to play online?
    I know I didn't need the license for my US copy because I already used a code on my JPN copy that seemed to work for all versions of PSP2 somehow.

Well, nothing on PSP was selling that well, at the time. It was at the end of the lifecycle. It was a mostly abandoned platform by the time PSP2 went out, so it was bound to experience low sales.

PSU was sort of also an expected thing given it arrived to competition with a subscription model. Like all of them (who didn't provide significant enough updates with that model) it did poorly after a short time.

The problem is, like a number of Japanese companies do (without good enough ears to hear reasons from their western branches) is blame the lack of interest in the game over other more obvious external reasons for slow sales.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Aug 12, 2015 at 08:03 AM.
    PSO2 Character information:

Eric Windhaven (Fomar) Ship 02.

If it was a matter of a previous game not selling well, they probably wouldn't have put up an EN website telling everyone PSO2 was on the way and then sitting on it for years.

Most of you guys are wrong, by the way. Just recently, there was an Anime convention in my city, and SEGA was sponsoring it. There was this guy, Yosuke Okunari, who is a SEGA Marketer, I think. He was hosting this presentation for the SEGA Hard Girls series. Anyway, my brother was there, and asked Okunari-san "When's PSO2 coming to the western areas"? Okunari-san said that he couldn't answer that.

Some girl in the crowd asked that same question, but worded differently. This time, Okunari-san's translator guy replied "I know the reason why, and it is complicated."

Later, the girl told my brother that apparently the reason for not bringing it to the western region is because of the content in the JP game. It's mostly japanese-intended content. Most of the things in PSO2, many weasterners do not know about. All the collabs, costumes, weapons, camos, etc. are all from japanese game series/animes and such.

Bringing PSO2 here would mean stripping all of that content from the game, and replacing it with western content. That's a lot of work and money for whoever PSO2 US would be under.

I truly understand why they don't want to bring PSO2 here. The differences between PSO2's atmosphere, and the standard western medieval MMMORPG atmosphere wouldn't work in my eyes, if that makes any sense.

For those that really want to play PSO2, just get the english patch...