Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: PSO2 in USA??

Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    People keep saying this, but I find it really hard to believe.

Pretty much anyone I've talked to who would be interested in the game but isn't already playing didn't even know it exists.
    It probably only applies to PC gamers.

I don't think many console gamers would easily make the jump to this. If you own a PS4 or Xbone, chances are that you do not PC game.

While the work done to translate this game is great, it doesn't mean Sega shouldn't try again for a Western release.

The success of a western release on PC would be up in the air considering the game is pretty unknown to the masses. But people are willing to try these types of games on console just because there aren't many options to choose from.

This is probably one reason the 360 servers were alive for much longer. The PS2 was a dead console by then. PC wasn't giving much support in terms of fan base.
    GT: X xi ReaveR x X

Quote Originally Posted by neilp4453 View Post
    It probably only applies to PC gamers.

I don't think many console gamers would easily make the jump to this. If you own a PS4 or Xbone, chances are that you do not PC game.

While the work done to translate this game is great, it doesn't mean Sega shouldn't try again for a Western release.

The success of a western release on PC would be up in the air considering the game is pretty unknown to the masses. But people are willing to try these types of games on console just because there aren't many options to choose from.

This is probably one reason the 360 servers were alive for much longer. The PS2 was a dead console by then. PC wasn't giving much support in terms of fan base.
    I don't see what the PC/Console thing has to do with this considering all the people I was talking about in this case are PC gamers. >_>

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Honestly, it feels like Sega just stopped trying after the dreamcast, while other games became more intense. The only game I really liked after it died was... Panzer Dragoon Orta? And even that was only a few hours long, and on the wrong system.
    Though their problem was probably just advertising, as everyone keeps saying. It feels like all they need to do is say "This game is out! It was made by Sega!" and everyone would be interested. Despite the fact they haven't released any heavy hitters in about two decades, their name still carries a lot of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by [Ayumi] View Post
    I've seen one commercial for PSU on the telly...
    teehee

(spoiler, I could live without all the colab outfits).
    But that's the only way we get any variety.

The supposive Gaijin Hero EvilMag's Avatar

One issue PSP2 and PSZ had was coming out on the same day a AAA title came out. I do remember PSZ coming out on the same day Modern Warfare 2 came out and PSP2 coming out the same day Halo Reach did as well.

SEGA you aren't doing a good job at planning release dates...
    Quote Originally Posted by CelestialBlade View Post
    Bit off-topic, but I'm just sick and tired of "difficulty" meaning "stat boosts". It's lazy and boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorafim View Post
    No it's not. But like I said before. I'm biased anyway. If other people are allowed to complain about their immersion or whatever because of bikinis, I think it should be ok for me to not care for outfits that clash with the game's aesthetic (which I happen to like). 3:

EDIT: actually what does that mean?

Also, let me rephrase that. I don't hate the colab stuff for existing on a fundamental level (though I think it's gross how much sega uses PSO2 as an advertising outlet), I just wouldn't care if they were suddenly gone in exchange for a well done local release... which probably won't happen anyway.
    Last edited by Kondibon; Aug 12, 2015 at 01:47 PM.

I don't see what the PC/Console thing has to do with this considering all the people I was talking about in this case are PC gamers. >_>
    Read it again, I intertwined the console injection quite nicely.

Basically, I expanded your thoughts to include consoles since this entire topic is generalized (PSO2 Western Release).

If you are still having problems understanding this, read it again.

As a reference,

Quote Originally Posted by [Ayumi] View Post
    The majority that want to play already playing.

Very small minority refuse to play unless 100% English.
    /Check
    Last edited by neilp4453; Aug 12, 2015 at 02:06 PM.
    GT: X xi ReaveR x X

The thing is... other than Sonic.... the current Sega America target audience in all their releases are people who would enjoy all those varieties of "yukata and school uniforms", they are releasing their third Miku game this september, they are releasing Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax this fall, and Atlus is part of Sega, they are 100% aiming to that niche audience.

And about advertisement I can't say I know the perfect formula... I dislike hearing that Activision spent 150 million in the development of Destiny, and another 150 on its advertisement, and even more reading that they recovered all those 300M in a few hours after launch. I also dislike seeing how Sega advertised Alien Isolation in a bunch of places, made events in lots of theatres, was critically acclaimed by most of the press, and then it just sold around 2M units in all 5 systems combined. In the past 2 years they have been going to a lot of anime conventions just for those Miku games and now Dengeki, but I still don't understand why, WHY? don't they do the same with franchises like Yakuza? most of the perfect audience for Yakuza series still thinks it's a Japanese GTA/Mafia game, when it's actually a game more close to a JRPG like Persona.

Quote Originally Posted by landman View Post
    I also dislike seeing how Sega advertised Alien Isolation in a bunch of places, made events in lots of theatres, was critically acclaimed by most of the press, and then it just sold around 2M units in all 5 systems combined.
    I blame the tragedy that was Aliens: Colonial Marines, it probably left a negative stigma in a lot of people who were unwilling to buy into Isolation out of fear of getting the same thing, there's still a lot of people who don't read reviews. I think at this point they just need to clean house on their marketing department. I honestly don't see any reason why PSO2 wouldn't attract an audience aside from the fact the game looks outdated graphically. It's sci-fi, which a lot of people are interested in because look at the numbers Mass Effect, Halo and Destiny brought in. It's an online action RPG with MMO elements, not a bad thing at all, a lot of people are looking for a game to invest a lot of time in. The gameplay is unique. Honestly this is what keeps me playing, I'm not going to find another game like it. I'm not sitting around minding skill cooldowns, I'm actually controlling my character in an involving way and it's incredibly satisfying.

But at this point I think anything they do is too little, too late. They had their chance and they blew it bigtime. A steam tie-in would help to get the word around since people are always jumping on free to play games on steam and could potentially bring in a lot of people, plus buying AC without webmoney or google would be nice. But consoles I think are probably out of the question, the big problem is you're going to split your playerbase in two between the XBO and PS4 and the servers would be worked on separately, plus it's hard to advertise on consoles considering how much clutter there is. The biggest problem I feel though is while you'd be drawing in new players who don't know any better, anyone already playing the game probably wouldn't switch. We've got about 3 years of content and progress over a bare-bones server. That's a really long time and a lot of stuff.

As it was mentioned earlier, despite SEGA's constant screw-ups in the eyes of the fans outside of Japan, their name still carries a lot of weight and they refuse to swing it around.

Psychotic Asian Goth Girl [Ayumi]'s Avatar

Sorry, that wasn't directed at you. I started typing it before you posted actually. I'm just slow.

The colab hairstyles are in my opinion better than most of the original ones (the outfits I feel always clash with the game's aesthtic though). I still wouldn't lose my shit if the game magically got fully localized in exchange for losing them.

Buuuuut, since that would never happen either way...
    I guess I'm the only one that found no hairstyles that's outside default that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorafim View Post
    Honestly, it feels like Sega just stopped trying after the dreamcast, while other games became more intense. The only game I really liked after it died was... Panzer Dragoon Orta? And even that was only a few hours long, and on the wrong system.
    Though their problem was probably just advertising, as everyone keeps saying. It feels like all they need to do is say "This game is out! It was made by Sega!" and everyone would be interested. Despite the fact they haven't released any heavy hitters in about two decades, their name still carries a lot of weight.

teehee

Well it's true. I remember because it caught me off guard and was on one of the local channels. Not on cable.
    Was like 15 seconds or less. IT shown bits of the intro that we saw when PSU was 1st announced and ended with I think Mirei flashing into the PSU title logo on a black screen with some bits in the bottom and then it just ended.

I was lke "so they started to advertise PSU?"
    Nope. Never seen it again.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMag View Post
    One issue PSP2 and PSZ had was coming out on the same day a AAA title came out. I do remember PSZ coming out on the same day Modern Warfare 2 came out and PSP2 coming out the same day Halo Reach did as well.

SEGA you aren't doing a good job at planning release dates...
    Halo Reach sold a lot? I heard it didn't do that good.
    Last edited by [Ayumi]; Aug 12, 2015 at 03:01 PM.