Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Quote Originally Posted by Maninbluejumpsuit View Post
    Should make that clear in a discussion about a survey that uses SH as the bar, and doubly so when alot of the game's content is still at SH level then.

I was responding to your implied disdain of the number of katana-using Br/Hus vs bow users under SH conditions (which this survey is based on), where the differences don't really matter.

PS: XH kuron boss isn't a terrible fight for katana users. She goes down in about a minute and a half solo.
    I didn't make what clear?

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyGaruga View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm running level 71+ SHAQs to disc hunt and bosses still go down in like 2m but that's incredibly slow compared to what I'm used to.
    71 is when XH begins.

Anyway, my opinion on katana Br/Hu's performance in the survey and my personal experience of katana Br/Hu in XH are two different subjects actually. But in both cases, bow Br/Hu is faster by a significant margin. Since you bring up the Kuronia boss, here's a 50s kill with bow Br/Hu. Almost twice as fast as katana, and the Kuronia boss is one of the best for katana since the counter is katana's best DPS option by a wide margin. And to really hammer in how slow katana is, here's a 41s Fo/Te Guar run. Lightning/wind tree so doesn't work well in XH Kuronia, so here's a 50s one with fire/dark. The best run I could find for katana on Nico is, indeed, a minute and a half long. Comparatively speaking, yes, that is kinda slow.

That certainly goes a long way to explaining why they're talking about buffing katana gear.

Would rather they just touch the PAs though. Makes me wonder if the Shunka nerf was just unnecessary.

IMO Katanas were balanced just right with all the adjustments that came with Shunka nerf. I found myself using pretty much all PAs except for Fudou, and that was really satisfying.

Katana felt incredibly boring to me before Shunka nerf (and even before its introduction), and that brief period between nerf and EP3 rebalancing was when it actually felt like a diverse, fun and strong weapon. EP3 rendered half its PAs worthless again.

Counter Edge was a fun little addition to Katana counters (it wasn't necessary, but it works), but then they suddenly buffed it for no reason, and now there's more buffs for exact same thing? Just what is happening in their minds?

People wanted to represent katana, despite whether or not something else kills faster. Again, if this survey was more strictly weapon vs boss we wouldn't have such stupid arguments and instead learn more out of this.
    If the class included both bow/katana, or the 5-6 weapons FI and HU usually can take advantage of, then there would be a lot of 4-5 listed for each boss which tells people nothing.

I didn't make what clear?

71 is when XH begins.

Anyway, my opinion on katana Br/Hu's performance in the survey and my personal experience of katana Br/Hu in XH are two different subjects actually. But in both cases, bow Br/Hu is faster by a significant margin. Since you bring up the Kuronia boss, here's a 50s kill with bow Br/Hu. Almost twice as fast as katana, and the Kuronia boss is one of the best for katana since the counter is katana's best DPS option by a wide margin. And to really hammer in how slow katana is, here's a 41s Fo/Te Guar run. Lightning/wind tree so doesn't work well in XH Kuronia, so here's a 50s one with fire/dark. The best run I could find for katana on Nico is, indeed, a minute and a half long. Comparatively speaking, yes, that is kinda slow.
    For confirmation, did you not say the boss' glass-thing is entirely separate from her actual HP?

The fastest times tend to involve ignoring the glass to some degree, though not completely. Katana users are damn-near obligated to attack it.

Point is katanas aren't truly weak. We just have encounters like bayari, magatsu, and zigmor or w/e her name is to make it harder on anything that can't lock on to a more preferable point/cheese it. XH hp inflates the efficiency gap. May as well make em hit harder if PAs don't address the limits (ilbarta, sat cannon, gimegid, symphonic drive are good examples of what katanas can't do).

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    That certainly goes a long way to explaining why they're talking about buffing katana gear.

Would rather they just touch the PAs though. Makes me wonder if the Shunka nerf was just unnecessary.
    It was still episode 2, when just about everything else sans Gu/Hu was sorta mediocre in base defense.

I said it before, if shunka got almost all of the damage it lost back now in EP3, not many people would really complain.
    Last edited by Maninbluejumpsuit; Aug 23, 2015 at 03:04 PM.

Shigure ship 2. Credit to agarwood for the picture!

Quote Originally Posted by Maninbluejumpsuit View Post
    Point is katanas aren't truly weak. We just have encounters like bayari, magatsu, and zigmor or w/e her name is to make it harder on anything that can't lock on to a more preferable point/cheese it. XH hp inflates the efficiency gap. May as well make em hit harder if PAs don't address the limits (ilbarta, sat cannon, gimegid, symphonic drive are good examples of what katanas can't do).
    The lack of good bossing tools is exactly why katana are comparatively bad at bosses in the first place (please note that I never said they were weak, just worse than other classes). You don't see the problem with saying this?

About Guar, while the mirror is separate from its HP, it opens up a 30% weak point but only has 25% of Guar's HP. Having to attack the mirror is not really a disadvantage so much as an alternate strategy. Stuff like sword Hu/Fi and katana Br/Hu would probably want to attack the mirror regardless of whether they could skip it or not simply because Ignite Parrying and the katana counter are excellent DPS options.

The lack of good bossing tools is exactly why katana are comparatively bad at bosses in the first place (please note that I never said they were weak, just worse than other classes). You don't see the problem with saying this?
    I literally just agreed with you for XH+. Katanas aren't bad at bossing in general. They just don't trivialize things that can actually fight back via ilbarta cheese, gimegid cheese, etc.
    Last edited by Maninbluejumpsuit; Aug 23, 2015 at 03:57 PM.

Shigure ship 2. Credit to agarwood for the picture!