Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Profound Duckness SuperCentipede's Avatar

Could working on something completely different help? I mean, like an RPG Maker game? I've been only doing it because I get thoughts about it, from time to time. I've even drawn out the maps in a exercise grid book. And I keep thinking up dialogue for it.

I wish I could get that kind of "obsessiveness" back for my original project.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

That works too. Sometimes you just need to completely forget about it. Never know, maybe working on something else can give you an idea for your first project.

I suggest learning about lots of different cultures or just simply go outside and wonder around. Learning about different cultures is pretty fun, sometimes you'll end up paying tribute to what you learn by making references in your story. Trying to make a story/game out from scratch is quiet hard without some sort of cultural influence.

Walking around the park or just outside, for me, helps keep the mind clear.

I would also suggest that you should not force yourself, wait between chapters before revising, etc. Doing many chapters back-to-back or forcing it, makes it seem more like a chore than a hobby and you'll be bored quickly. Work on something else while doing your story or game, just don't ever work on 1 project at a time.

In regards to motivation, I would recommend not telling anybody that you're doing something until you're actually finished with it. You kind of sabotage yourself by receiving validation for doing something, when you haven't done anything. A lot of people end up slacking off after that because they've already got the validation for the act, and it's easy to get trapped in a cycle of talking about doing something to keep that validation coming in from others - and yet in reality you just continually put it off or slow down progress tremendously.

As for inspiration, I couldn't really say aside from that old writers canard of "Write what you know". Find something that you're passionate about in your life, and craft a story around that. If your current idea for a story is interesting, but it's outside of your life experience, then it'll turn out disingenuous and hollow. Better to rip it's guts out and re-craft it around something you are more personally knowledgeable and passionate about.

Or you could just follow W.C. Fields advice.

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. If you still don't succeed after that, then quit at once. There's no point being a damned fool about it."

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Some times what really helps in writing is not thinking about the story completely at a time but move gradually. Like dont think about the ending at all try to write it in present. and see where you go with that.

In a 2D Relationship

My advice? Have fun with your story. Don't put any pressure on yourself like "It has to be perfect!" or "Will these people like it?" Don't bring yourself down with negative thoughts.

Realize that you're not doing this for anybody else but yourself. If you don't like your story, make one that you do actually like. Release yourself from the expectations that other people might have of your story, and start doing what made you excited to do it in the first place.

Remember that your mood and mindset is important. Learn if you want to do a big chunk of it in one sitting when you get inspired, or if you're more comfortable doing it in small chunks regularly every day. Decide if you want to set deadlines or not.

Personal Experience: I'm able to do work and draw a lot when I'm outside of my house or room. I like working in tea/coffee shops since I get more inspiration from those places.

TL;DR: No pressure, do it at your own pace, and have fun.
    Last edited by Strobo_Lemon; Nov 28, 2015 at 07:44 AM.