Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default Shironia and Kuron/Translation discussion

The translation team usually tries to find references for names that Sega uses in PSO2 (even though most of the time they're just words that Sega made up because they thought it sounded cool), so why didn't they do that for... *shudder*... Shironia and Kuron? Instead the translators went the lazy route and took the Japanese words for white and black and stuck extra letters on them. If calling them "White Territory" and "Black Territory", and "white people" and "black people" (that's what they're actually called, not joking) would sound "too racist", then why not go the obvious route of calling them Yin (for black) and Yang (for white) clans?
    • White Territory maps have a spring setting with the sun in the sky, while Black Territory has an autumn feel with the moon in the sky.
      • Yang represents the sun, and spring/summer
      • Yin represents the moon, and autumn/winter
    • White ogres seem to use a fire-like blade wave attack, while Black ogres use ice attacks
      • Yang represents heat/fire
      • Yin represents cold/water
    • The surface of the goddamn planet is a Yin and Yang symbol.

I could've brought this up with the translation team directly, but I didn't feel like looking up their page. If this has been discussed before, I would like a link so I can take a look at the discussion. Otherwise, discuss here, I guess.

EDIT: Thread started off on a bad foot. Proper discussion starts near the end of page 2.
    Last edited by kurokyosuke; Nov 4, 2015 at 01:31 AM. Reason: sort of fixed for proper discussion

The Trailers for these area's shown from JP footage had the intro's through story mode text say White Territory and Black Territory, where are you getting that this is the Translations team fault? (I assume your talking about Aida of course)

Why is this thread even a thing though

Because the translation team follow closely what Sega had obviously provided in the game, making up things that is not in the game is not a good idea and would sound terrible in the game's setting unless Sega provided in the game otherwise.

Look at what happened to SEA server localization.
    Last edited by Meteor Weapon; Nov 4, 2015 at 12:18 AM.

It's fine as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kril View Post
    The Trailers for these area's shown from JP footage had the intro's through story mode text say White Territory and Black Territory, where are you getting that this is the Translations team fault? (I assume your talking about Aida of course)

Why is this thread even a thing though
    The intro text you speak of is directly from Sega, not implemented through English translation. Everyone calls White Territory and Black Territory Shironia and Kuron, respectively, because that's what the people working on translations called them. Also, I thought AIDA only managed the Tweaker and not any translations.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor Weapon View Post
    Because the translation team follow closely what Sega had obviously provided in the game, making up things that's too farfetched is not in the game is not a good idea and would sound terrible in the game's setting unless Sega provided in the game otherwise.

Look at what happened to SEA server localization.
    They were called White Territory and Black Territory officially by Sega. Translators changed it to Shironia and Kuron. Sounds pretty farfetched to me already.
    Last edited by kurokyosuke; Nov 4, 2015 at 12:21 AM.

Aren't Shironia and Kuron specific locations within each territory?
    SHIP 02 - PokeminMaster
    Lucinova - Deuman - 75 Hu, 55 Fi, 75 Fo, 80 Te, 80 Bo, 75 Su, 80 He
    Aura - CAST - 75 Fo, 77 Te
    Sylvia - CAST - 75 Ra, 76 Br

this has nothing to do with "which name sounds better to your ears"

as you've said, the japanese names are Shironia and Kuron
    thats why it shall be translated as Shironia and Kuron
    Last edited by AmanoMai; Nov 4, 2015 at 12:29 AM.

Because that's what they are called in Japanese as well. Shiro no Tani, Kuro no Tani. I dont recall them saying Ying Yang.

Im not even sure what you:re trying to say here, Kuron and Shironia is fine as it is

Quote Originally Posted by kurokyosuke View Post
    They were called White Territory and Black Territory officially by Sega. Translators changed it to Shironia and Kuron. Sounds pretty farfetched to me already.
    If your talking about literal translations from Sega than ya, I get that but really, it's basically called Shironia and Kuronia by Sega, I don't think the translation team did this on purpose.

calling it Ying Yang is stupid tho

Quote Originally Posted by PokeminMaster View Post
    Aren't Shironia and Kuron specific locations within each territory?
    Nope. The English patch calls it Shironia when it's supposed to be White Territory, and also calls Kuron when it's supposed to be Black Territory. As I mentioned in the OP, it's my assumption that they went with this because calling them "white people" and "black people" would probably cause problems among the English-speaking community. If this isn't the case, I'm curious as to the actual reason.