Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseHERO View Post
    So this isn't an action rpg right? cause if not then dammit.
    I mean, it sure looks like it's an action RPG:

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

In trailers like those which I originally saw first it really seemed that way. But then saw dev livestream clips of game the other day and... it's not nearly as fast.

Characters were standing around between attacks like an active time battle system or something similar to FF14. As opposed to combat like their crystal series which I thought this game was akin to.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Well their idea for it was basically portable arr so

Quote Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
    Well their idea for it was basically portable arr so
    Generally all I needed to know.

Actually. Now that I have the game in my hands, it definitely plays more like an Action RPG. Even melee characters feel kind of PSO-ish, with the 3 hit combos and the ability to quickly Slap a skill off with a button combo.

So basically, it's Action-RPG gameplay with no need to stand around (as you can run around or circle to avoid directional attacks) where your Skills have cool downs. But your normal attacks and such (which aren't skills requiring cool downs) are perfectly action-gameplay territory.

To sum up, it's full on action-RPG gameplay where Active assigned skills have cool downs before that skill can be used again.
    PSO2 Character information:

Eric Windhaven (Fomar) Ship 02.

That sounds nice. Canīt wait for it to arrive.
    [PSO2] Darkante: Cast HU-44/RA-43/FI-42/GU-30
    Astral Storm: Newman F HU-35
    [PSP2:I]
    RB3 - Dark Knight "Ante" : Cast M Lv 200/ JLv Hu50/Ra50/F30/Va46
    RB3 - Crimson Sky: Beast F Lv 174/ JLv Hu34/Ra18/Fo1/Va50
    RB0 - Zone Dynamite: Beast M Lv 76/ JLv Hu0/Ra7/Fo0/Va0

Quote Originally Posted by Akaimizu View Post
    To sum up, it's full on action-RPG gameplay where Active assigned skills have cool downs before that skill can be used again.
    The way you describe it makes me think of Birth by Sleep or Recoded.

There are some influences from other games, no doubt. It does include its own version of the FFXI hatred system. Where various different abilities and such build a certain level of hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaimizu View Post
    Actually. Now that I have the game in my hands, it definitely plays more like an Action RPG. Even melee characters feel kind of PSO-ish, with the 3 hit combos and the ability to quickly Slap a skill off with a button combo.

So basically, it's Action-RPG gameplay with no need to stand around (as you can run around or circle to avoid directional attacks) where your Skills have cool downs. But your normal attacks and such (which aren't skills requiring cool downs) are perfectly action-gameplay territory.

Ohhhh, guess I'm buyin' then, rip wallet.

There is stuff I might warn you about. It has a different kind of leveling system that what you may be used to. For a Final Fantasy game of this ilk.

You do have Jobs, and you also earn new jobs over time. But unlike the system where you have to level jobs (Final Fantasy MMOs), you have only 1 level up system you need worry about. Your explorer level.

On the other hand, Crystal mutations are a big factor in powering up a character. They set it up so you earn, in battle, a mutation for a particular ability which open up custom skills for which you'll start stacking mutations on it.

Attach an Earth mutation to the Fire spell and you'll get Fire (dirt) (Which I call Dirty Fire). Stacking the same mutation on it would power it up, but you can add other mutations which add other properties to the same skill or spell. There are certain mutations that are mutually exclusive in effectiveness though. Elemental attachments are one. So yeah, you can add one elemental mutation to an attack (even an elemental spell can attach any single other bonus element), but the Elemental Mutation with the most points in it, for an ability, will be the one activated and not the elemental mutation with less points. Just something to note if you have multiple elemental mutations on a skill.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Jan 27, 2016 at 03:04 PM.