Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hysteria1987 View Post
    Megid was another nice one - my friends' mej-id to my mee-gid.
    Not sure if this has been addressed, but in Phantasy Star Universe, Magashi pronounces it Meg-id. Like Megan, but with "id" on the end.

Eh, some tech names I've gotten used to saying

Foie = Foy
    Zonde = Zone-day
    Grants = Gurantz (I really don't know why I pronounce it this way.)
    Megid = Me-jid

As for bosses:

Rockbear = Rock-A-Bear
    Dark Ragne = Dark Rag-knee
    Dark Vibras = Dark Veye-bruss (People still use Bibarasu or Vibrace??)
    Zeshrayda = Zesh-ray-dah /Zeshy
    Bal Rodos = Bal Ro-dus / Ro-dose (Seen people write as "Val Rados", don't know why...) / Money Rodos
    Big Vardha = Big Var-dah

etc etc.

Funny enough, when it comes to Ult. Nab names, I tend to forget them all:

Bayaribbles = Bey-Ya-Ribbles / Bayari / Bayoribs / Bayonetta / Luchabear
    Plosiorgles = Plo-see-org-guls / Explosi / Del Blamoth
    Anga Fundarge = An-gah Fun-darj

The only name that really doesn't roll off the tongue well is Matoi. "Muh-Toy"? "Mah-Toy"? "Mah-To-Ee"??? I dunno, such an awkward name.
    Last edited by Zanverse; Jan 8, 2016 at 10:36 PM.

It's funny how katakana literally shows how to pronounce something but because most western players don't know that, they get the pronunciations completely wrong. This has even been pointed out a couple times already.

Let's take Megid for example. メギド = Me-gi-do (drop the o at the end here). It's メジド that would be pronounced me-ji-do (again, drop the o). Ragne is derived from Arachne so it's pronounced rather similarly, ラグネ = Ra-gu-ne. Whether you call it Vibras, Vibrace, Byblos, or whatever, it's written and pronounced as ビブラス = Bi-bu-ra-su. Though this is also where Japanese can be confusion because l and v do not exist in it, and instead r and b are used as substitutes. So ビブラス could be Bi-bu-ra-su, or it could be vi-bu-ra-su, or it could be bi-bu-la-su. Regardless of how you spell or say it, the pronounciation is most similar to words like brass or lass, not something like brace.

And so on. Just look up katakana on Wikipedia or something, check a word on swiki, then match up the kana and see what you get to identify how to say things. Pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFalcon View Post
    To be fair, Yamigaras is just as viable of a name.

Dialects drop the ending vowel to sound different sometimes.
    That still doesn't excuse it. The only similar thing that comes to mind is Karas (the series and character), of which the name was romanized that way for the sake of style.

In this case, dialects dropping the end vowel doesn't mean jack if the name is an obvious referencial counterpart. Context is key here.
    Ship 2 - Player ID: Yellowjacket

Yamigarasu = Dark Crow
    Yukigarasu = Snow Crow

I don't know why garasu was written as garas for the camo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanverse View Post
    Bayaribbles = Bey-Ya-Ribbles / Bayari / Bayoribs / Bayonetta / Luchabear
    Plosiorgles = Plo-see-org-guls / Explosi / Del Blamoth
    Anga Fundarge = An-gah Fun-darj
    Newer names can be a pain to remember :P Luchabear is now a thing though, I am stealing that unashamedly. For a good while, Anga Fundarge was Angry Fandango to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanverse View Post
    The only name that really doesn't roll off the tongue well is Matoi. "Muh-Toy"? "Mah-Toy"? "Mah-To-Ee"??? I dunno, such an awkward name.
    Matoi actually says her name at some point, I can't quite remember where. Beginning of Ep3 maybe? She really stresses the syllables, but if I'm not mistaken it was something like "Muh-to-ee". She's Ma-Toy to me, though.

Any pronunciation will do for me really though, tbh. I'm not really all that interested in the Japanese pronunciations- I usually just go for how I believe the English word would sound based on how it looks, since it's translated into another language now and all.

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyGaruga View Post
    It's funny how katakana literally shows how to pronounce something but because most western players don't know that, they get the pronunciations completely wrong. This has even been pointed out a couple times already. [...]
    I wouldn't quite call it as simple as that because you have to consider the overall difference in phonetic pronounciation between languages. All you said is of course correct, but some people just have problems to correctly pronounce it.

When I speak english for example I often have a really hard time to pronounce certain things just because german is phonetically completely different from english. I also have moments where I accidently keep slipping back into german as well. I've been learning and speaking english for over 13 years and I'm still not good enough in my opinion! Meanwhile my dad is from poland and he has often problems while speaking german due to the same reason. The same case with japanese people speaking english and having problems to pronounce words correctly.

Sure there's people who can perfectly speak english and pronounce english words who aren't from an english speaking country, but alas I am not one of them. The same can be applied in this case and in general. People aren't able to correctly pronounce something because either they can't due to difficulties or maybe don't understand/know like you said, and thus they pronounce it differently in a easier way for them.

Main Twitter - PSO2/Idola Twitter
    Idola ID - 416,416,656

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    Despite American English being my first language, I personally tend to pronounce most of the names with a mix of Spanish vowels and hard consonants. For example, going off of Hysteria1987, I pronounce Zonde as "zon" with the o pronounced like "oh" and the "de" like dentist, and Megid with "me" as in men and "gid" as in Gideon; Ragne as Rahg-neh, Agrani as Ah-grah-nii. This also reminds me of a conversation I had with someone in PSU where they said they pronounced Kakwane as cock-wayne versus my cah-quah-neh.
    This is exactly how I pronounce every single one of these.

It never once occurred to me to read the 'g' in 'megid' as a 'j' instead. The words in English where that happens are exceptions rather than the norm, so I don't get how folks jump to that in the first place...

Katakana literally makes it impossible to mispronounce any noun since the whole system is used to pronounce foreign and fictional nouns phonetically.

This thread shouldn't exist.

As for the 'spanish sounding' argument quoted above that's actually called 'romance vowels' since Spanish is a Romance (from 'Roman') language. Katakana can be read using Romance vowels since that's basically how our language is viewed to the Japanese.
    Our letters in Japan are called 'Romaji" or 'Roma letters'. Roma being Rome. A good rule of thumb is to keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Angelo; Jan 9, 2016 at 08:50 PM.

Just call them the way sega calls them internally..like doodlebug

Also apparently goldrahdas are cockroaches..wtf

https://github.com/PolCPP/PSO2es-Tra...ActorEnemy.txt