Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

Quote Originally Posted by Kichi View Post
    Continuing our conversation from the Wiki page, this is great for Data Migration by grabbing Cirnopedia's info or another wiki's info directly, but a nightmare to edit. The way I think would be best is is if we, rather than using Templates, could pull the data directly from a weapon's individual page. I agree having the template be what influences both the weapons page and the list locations is a bit cumbersome, especially since you have to find the template page when that's not listed anywhere specifically, and not the optimal solution, but I feel like this is much more error and typo prone.

Then again, I have not really worked with Wikis before, so I suppose I'm not the best judge. Nonetheless, I feel like this method is forcing input redundancy where it really could be avoided.
    It would have been lovely to pull the information from the individual page. But with the way the weapon listings work, I basically am just shoving what was in the list(or the data file) into the individual page to be called from.

*lemme go scrawl something in paint
    **prepare for bad art
    Spoiler!

* in essence, our problem is being unable to take the information directly from the individual page because it's already inside a template. We'd have to stick a template inside ANOTHER template in order for it to work, which when I attempted it, frankly didn't work.
    Last edited by Nanaha; Jan 20, 2016 at 11:43 PM.

So if I'm getting this right, the "data page" is the old template idea (Template:SimpleDataWeaponName), the Individual page is what you get when you go to that weapon's wiki page on it's own (like /wiki/Kagudachi), but that makes me confused as to what the Combo page is...

Either way, interesting. And I assume there's no method yet for making it so that say, when you edit a specific weapon's page, it edits the base data, it has to edit that page directly, meaning we can't have the "Data Page" be directly sending data to both the "Individual Page" and the "listing" without making it hard to access the data that needs to be on the "Data page." Is that an accurate reading?
    私の愛、私の夢、私の心。

The combo page is just slapping some include/noinclude tags inside an individual page and adding the data page to it.

It's exactly like copy pasting the data page contents into individual, then adding fixes to it to make it work. We never used the combo page idea though.

I think I get what you're saying, but not sure. The individual page uses a weapon template made by untrustful. However, because the information is already inside said template, we can't use the info inside for something else,(ie the data page/listings)

Basically, I was saying there's no way to go to "/wiki/Kagudachi", and when you click edit there, editing stuff like attack values will appropriately change the data of "/wiki/Template:SimpleDataKagudachi", and that alone makes using such templates less than idea cause it's making the information that would need to be edited harder to get to.

Basically, I think I get the problem, and it's kind of silly there isn't a way to do this yet, but I see why we're doing it the way we are now.
    私の愛、私の夢、私の心。